Poll: With great confidence, who will the pick be? Make a statement!
This poll is closed.
Chase 90%+
57.14%
12 57.14%
Sewell 90%+
28.57%
6 28.57%
Neither 90%+
9.52%
2 9.52%
None of the above.
4.76%
1 4.76%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pound the Table - Thump the Chest
(04-21-2021, 04:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is lazy thinking.  

Or... accurate honest thinking

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 06:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I thought it was really going to be Chase for a while.

Then I recently thought about the new uniform reveal.

Joe's scar was really present.

[Image: EzV1jd5UYAUlO3-.jpg]

Is this somehow just an imagery precursor to justifying the Sewell pick?

Your injured QB's knee spread throughout media about a week before the draft.

Hmmm. Hmm

Everyone knows we need to improve the O-line.  No doubt.

It's just how, or better yet who, is the best fit and overall value for the team that causes all this bickering.

The most valid argument I've heard for Sewell is a hard run on O-linemen late 1st rd into early 2nd rd leaving the Bengals slim pickings at #38.

We desperately need someone to improve the interior O-line whether an existing T slides, the draft pick at T slides in, or we get a plug and play G, or lastly a C who dethrones Hopkins/Price.

One of them has to happen and be NFL ready... and I'm team Chase.  It's even more pressing if Williams breaks again at T.

I wish it were true but I can't see it (the smokescreen- I can see the scar perfectly fine!). It would just involve too many actors and the Bengals have never pulled off a conspiracy like that. Plus, the Collinsworth interview was absolutely clear. Joe seems to enjoy what the scar represents. The OL was "really starting to click" when he got hurt.

On one hand, I would let him make the call. It's his body (I sound like I'm pro-choice haha). On the other, he's just so young. Maybe he's still naive. This isn't a war zone, after all, and his body won't cooperate with him forever. He needs to be smart about it.

I just hope he consults with other top QBs who've been through the grind- Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Aikman, Favre, etc.- and see what they would advise him to do. As long as he does that, I'm ok with who they select and why, no matter how juvenile it may seem to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 08:45 PM)tms Wrote: I wish it were true but I can't see it (the smokescreen- I can see the scar perfectly fine!). It would just involve too many actors and the Bengals have never pulled off a conspiracy like that. Plus, the Collinsworth interview was absolutely clear. Joe seems to enjoy what the scar represents. The OL was "really starting to click" when he got hurt.

On one hand, I would let him make the call. It's his body (I sound like I'm pro-choice haha). On the other, he's just so young. Maybe he's still naive. This isn't a war zone, after all, and his body won't cooperate with him forever. He needs to be smart about it.

I just hope he consults with other top QBs who've been through the grind- Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Aikman, Favre, etc.- and see what they would advise him to do. As long as he does that, I'm ok with who they select and why, no matter how juvenile it may seem to me.

Dude needs a smart coach too.

Not some guy who is gonna let him sling it around an exorbitant amount of times in games.

Even if they do pick Chase they still need to get the run game going this season...  somehow.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 06:17 PM)tms Wrote: This is why I want everyone in the media to publicize how they feel. I don't want this to be weaponized to mock the Bengals (and for that matter, our fanbase) in the future. I want to know where everyone stands on the issue by April 29.

It's disconcerting to me that former NFL players/management seem almost unanimously to be behind taking a lineman, even if they're hinting that they might consider another name (i.e. Chase). As long as it remains like this, we're serving ourselves on a silver platter if we take Chase and it doesn't work out. The only way to mitigate some of that risk is to get everyone on the record in advance, just to ensure that revisionist historians around the NFL don't ridicule us for the next generation by implying that we went out on a limb and "bungled" another pick.

I hate thinking this far ahead as a fan but I can't help it. This team can no longer be naive as to how the national media is planning to use them.

I don't think I've heard a single ex-player, talking head or personnel type say that taking any of Sewell, Chase or Pitts would be 'going out on a limb'. In fact, it's been just the opposite...pretty much everyone has been saying they're getting a great player no matter which one they end up taking...even if it's not the guy they think should be the pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 09:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't think I've heard a single ex-player, talking head or personnel type say that taking any of Sewell, Chase or Pitts would be 'going out on a limb'. In fact, it's been just the opposite...pretty much everyone has been saying they're getting a great player no matter which one they end up taking...even if it's not the guy they think should be the pick. 

Of course, but that's a separate topic. Nobody will come out and say "(So-and-so) promises to be a bust!" Come on now, even Robert Gallery had his day in the sun. :) I'm talking specifically about the choice between OL and WR for a team whose QB is coming off a Theismann. If a guy like Chase doesn't pan out, there will be a lineup around the block of 'experts' mocking the Bengals for "not addressing an obvious need, and instead falling for a flavor-of-the-month skill player!" Who knows what else they can come up with by then. 

I'm not saying that that's right or wrong, just that that's how the media works and has always done. 
Reply/Quote
The closer it gets the more I feel like it will be Pitts.

We covet athletic freaks and abnormalities. Ross' speed, Higgins' long arms, Simpson's hands etc.

We have also shown we are not afraid to take TEs early. Gresham, Eifert, Sample.

We'll go with the 6'6" 245lbs TE who ran 4.4 40 is compared to Waller and Calvin Johnson and has a wingspan longer than any WR or TE over the last 20 years beating the previous leader in that category DK Metcalf.

He also fits the ZT criteria. Hard worker and film junkie who isn't afraid to work for greatness.

And don't give me this but we don't use TE bullshit. You can plug him in anywhere if you want to go 3, 4, or 5 wide. Uzi will be a free agent after this year so long term roster building it makes perfect sense as well.

Throwing to him is like trying to hit the broadside of a barn. Even one-legged Joe Burrow could do it.
Reply/Quote