Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Power Rankings
I understand that the only one that really counts comes in Feb but in the meantime....

consensus looks to be around 10-12

PFT
11. Bengals (2-0; No. 20): The Bengals are making it had to forget about the league’s most forgettable team.

ESPN
13. Cincinnati Bengals
Record: 2-0
Week 2 ranking: 23

For the first time in franchise history, the Bengals have scored at least 30 points in each of their first two games of a season. This is a far cry from the slow start the Bengals got off to last year, when they managed a total of nine points during an 0-2 beginning and didn't score a touchdown until their third game. -- Clawson

USA Today

11. Bengals (16): Might be best team you won't see rest of this year. Barring flex changes, Cincinnati will play 1 p.m. local starts for season's duration.

NFL.com

BENGALS (2-0) 8
Previous rank: No. 21

This move upward might not be as high as Bengals fans were anticipating. Unfortunately, the Joe Mixon injury looms large, especially at this juncture, when Cincy has the opportunity to take command of the AFC North. He is supposed to be out two-to-four weeks, but the Bengals should be conservative regarding that timetable. Meanwhile, the defense has not been as strong as the WhoDey peeps said it would be, but it definitely has been clutch. Nice win.

Sporting News

11. Cincinnati Bengals 2-0 (last week: 15)

The Bengals' offense looks more streamlined and less dysfunctional, and their defense looks well put together, even without Vontaze Burfict. They're the new mild AFC North favorites.

Bleacher Report
10. Cincinnati Bengals (2-0)
High: 8
Low: 15
Last Week: 16
Week 2 Result: Won vs. Baltimore, 34-23

There's good news and bad news for the Cincinnati Bengals.
The good news is that after throttling the Baltimore Ravens early and holding on late, the Bengals are 2-0 and in first place all by themselves in the AFC North. The last time that was the case was 2015—which just so happens to be the last time Cincinnati made the playoffs.
The bad news is that the Bengals now begin a murderous stretch on their schedule without second-year tailback Joe Mixon, who will miss at least two weeks after having his knee scoped.
Over the next month, the Bengals play at Carolina and Atlanta before hosting the Dolphins and Steelers. Three of those teams made the playoffs in 2017, and the Bengals have lost their last six matchups with Pittsburgh.
The ongoing debate about whether the Bengals are contenders or pretenders is likely going to be settled over that span.

Washington Post

4. Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) | Last Week’s Rank: 8

The Bengals’ start is oh-so-promising, and they’ve made an early-season case that they’re the team to beat in the AFC North. But now they must get by without RB Joe Mixon, who’s sidelined for an estimated two weeks after knee surgery.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
USA Today has us at 10... Maybe it's printed by them? not 100% sure

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-week-3-power-rankings-we-love-la/ss-BBNuXSn#image=24

*Yeah I see USA Today has us at 11, maybe it's the "Sports Media Group" that has us at 10 and they are printed or write for USA Today. The funniest thing about this, and I was already discussing it this morning... is that we were ranked 32... dead last. Now we are top 10. I guess the Cincinnati Bengals dart landed closer to the bulls eye this week.
Reply/Quote
I'll take it, after 2 weeks. I will say that at the moment the Bills and the Cardinals are just amazingly bad football teams and as bad as the Browns have been for the past few years I've never seen the bottom slots look so bottom.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll take it, after 2 weeks.  I will say that at the moment the Bills and the Cardinals are just amazingly bad football teams and as bad as the Browns have been for the past few years I've never seen the bottom slots look so bottom.

Brownies defense is no joke.  Of all things, a kicker has deep-sixed both should be wins for them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 02:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Brownies defense is no joke.  Of all things, a kicker has deep-sixed both should be wins for them.

That doesn't surprise me.  They lost all manner of "totally shoulda won, you guys" games in the past 2 years, so what's two more non-wins?  
Reply/Quote
Hah either I forgot or just didnt know that the Bengals don't have any SNF or MNF games on the schedule. So that's good news for Marv & company.

As to the op, yeah about 10 or so sounds about right. And really can't just base rankings off of records this early on, more of an eye test with stats and records thrown in.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Wow, Washington Post has us in the top 5? That's nice to hear!

I agree on the average of the rankings though. Lots of potential with young guys in key spots on the team!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 02:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That doesn't surprise me.  They lost all manner of "totally shoulda won, you guys" games in the past 2 years, so what's two more non-wins?  

No doubt.  They get a good D, the offense becomes somewhat competent....enough to win anyway, then special teams chokes it away.  Sheesh!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 02:21 PM)thillan Wrote: Wow, Washington Post has us in the top 5? That's nice to hear!

I agree on the average of the rankings though. Lots of potential with young guys in key spots on the team!

They've had us in the top 10 since the preseason

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
ESPN are Steeler homers ranking them 10th at 0-1-1.

They not only lost at home, they tied the other 0-1-1 team Browns on the road who they have ranked 28th. The same Browns that barely lost on the road to a good Saints team.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
10 sounds about right. We are 2-0 but have been outgained 805-703 so far this year. There is room for improvement.
Reply/Quote
USA Today
11. Bengals (16): Might be best team you won't see rest of this year. Barring flex changes, Cincinnati will play 1 p.m. local starts for season's duration.

Barring flex changes, Cincinnati will play 1 p.m. local starts for season's duration.

And I am 100% OK with this.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 02:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Brownies defense is no joke.  Of all things, a kicker has deep-sixed both should be wins for them.

Agreed. Definitely not to be overlooked. 

Reply/Quote

Yup - that D looks for real, but supposedly the raisins was too and all the tv coverage showed was suggs on the sideline sucking wind.  Hope that can be repeated with the clowns.
Reply/Quote

Living in Philly and seeing them win a Superbowl... I kept pointing out that their division was a train wreck.  It's like division games just gave the Eagles more and more confidence that they were the best.

Similiarly...

The Steelers sit at 0-1-1 and without Bell (and now Brown not showing up today*), and the Ravens holding onto Suggs at 35 and Flacco being Flacco... I hoped we could slide into the playoffs with some confidence... 

But those Browns and the fact that Hue knows our organization and players so well... I think my dream of floating into the playoffs with everything going for us, isn't going to happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-antonio-brown-did-not-show-up-for-work-on-monday/ar-BBNvxYa
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 04:07 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Living in Philly and seeing them win a Superbowl... I kept pointing out that their division was a train wreck.  It's like division games just gave the Eagles more and more confidence that they were the best.

Similiarly...

The Steelers sit at 0-1-1 and without Bell (and now Brown not showing up today*), and the Ravens holding onto Suggs at 35 and Flacco being Flacco... I hoped we could slide into the playoffs with some confidence... 

But those Browns and the fact that Hue knows our organization and players so well... I think my dream of floating into the playoffs with everything going for us, isn't going to happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-antonio-brown-did-not-show-up-for-work-on-monday/ar-BBNvxYa

Good points.....the thing with the AFCN is, ya just never know what will happen from one game to the next within the division.  Always hard hitting affairs and the best team usually comes out of them winning the war of attrition.  I'm not sold the Browns can score on us, but scoring on them won't exactly be the cakewalk it has been in the past.  Don't let go of that dream just yet.  WE need to at least split the Stoolers and sweep the other two.  That's our best shot.

Reply/Quote
Well - its clear why he didn't show up. Since Bells blunt buddy (Blount) isn't around, he asked Brown to hang with him for a day. We can only hope that the squeelers are falling apart at the seams - and the squeeler way is really the "me, myself and I" way.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the Washington Post for once lol

I have the Jags, Rams, Chiefs and maybe the Bucs ahead of us.

Sounds like they are all making more of the Mixon injury than it is though.

Gio is very capable and overall has run better than Mixon the last few years.

Love Mixon, but love Gio too. 2 very dynamic backs. Carson ain't no punk either.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good points.....the thing with the AFCN is, ya just never know what will happen from one game to the next within the division.  Always hard hitting affairs and the best team usually comes out of them winning the war of attrition.  I'm not sold the Browns can score on us, but scoring on them won't exactly be the cakewalk it has been in the past.  Don't let go of that dream just yet.  WE need to at least split the Stoolers and sweep the other two.  That's our best shot.

The Squeelers are coming apart at the seams, I think we're witnessing the end of the Big Jen era. 

Don't let go indeed !

(09-18-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with the Washington Post for once lol

Love Mixon, but love Gio too. 2 very dynamic backs. Carson ain't no punk either.

Agreed,

I think we can do just fine against the Panthers and Falcons without Mixon.

Falcons prolly be a fairly high scoring game.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with the Washington Post for once lol

Whewwww! I'm high on our team right now, but I still see more teams ahead of us.

Jags, Rams, Chiefs, Pats, Vikings, Packers, Eagles, and Atlanta. Atlanta is shaky though, due to losing those two pieces on defense. 
Reply/Quote