Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Praise For The Bengals Dalton Era.
With Dalton cut, I would rank Dalton behind Anderson at #1 and Esiason at #2 who quarterbacked Bengals to play-off wins and to Super Bowls. I would put Dalton at #3 because he did QB the Bengals to 5 straight play-offs on his first 5 years in NFL. Anderson had Bengals in play-offs in 1981 and 1982. No other Bengals team has had 2 play-off seasons in a row. Dalton as QB for 5 play-offs in a row is something team had never came close to. I would put Carson Palmer at #4 and Virgil Carter at #5. There are no other Bengals play-off season quarterbacks. McCarron end of season doesn't put him on this list.

So Ken Anderson, then Boomer Esiason and then Andy Dalton. So since 1968, Andy Dalton leaves 3rd best ever Bengals quarterback. The Bengals starting 8-0 in 2015 before Dalton got injured will always be a what if. That team looked ready for a Super Bowl shot at 8-0. Just wasn't to be. Carson had 2 play-off seasons here, and 2005 injury is another what if.

So I have had the Joe Burrow picture before he was drafted. They had to draft him. Still, Dalton was better than most who quarterbacked this team. We can't say he wasn't. I've seen stronger arms. Dalton did find a way to win games his first 5 years here, which many quarterbacks could not do with Bengals. He was in Pro Bowls and was a good field general, not a great arm, but he had a will to win about him.

Now I'm old enough to have seen every Bengal QB since 1968, and I have to rank Dalton as 3rd best QB ever for Bengals. Greg Cook is a big what if, but Bengals landed Ken Anderson fast enough. ...and now hopefully Joe Heisman Burrow gives Bengals Fans some great years....GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Your points are fair. I don't think Dalton was a great field general as you call it, but I think he had a calmness to never call it over until the game was actually over. He did have a lot of 4th qtr comebacks which, as fans, we loved. I can agree he is maybe 3rd best, but never getting over that hump and winning a playoff game really tarnished his image as a great one. He's still got some ball left in him and he's humble and patient. I hope he get's his playoff win so he can close that chapter.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 02:37 PM)kevin Wrote: With Dalton cut,  I would rank Dalton behind Anderson at #1 and Esiason at #2 who quarterbacked Bengals to play-off wins and to Super Bowls.  I would put Dalton at #3 because he did QB the Bengals to 5 straight play-offs on his first 5 years in NFL.   Anderson had Bengals in play-offs in 1981 and 1982.  No other Bengals team has had 2 play-off seasons in a row.  Dalton as QB for 5 play-offs in a row is something team had never came close to.   I would put Carson Palmer at #4 and Virgil Carter at #5.   There are no other Bengals play-off season quarterbacks.  McCarron end of season doesn't put him on this list.

So Ken Anderson, then Boomer Esiason and then Andy Dalton.  So since 1968, Andy Dalton leaves 3rd best ever Bengals quarterback.  The Bengals starting 8-0 in 2015 before Dalton got injured will always be a what if.  That team looked ready for a Super Bowl shot at 8-0.  Just wasn't to be.  Carson had 2 play-off seasons here, and 2005 injury is another what if.  

So I have had the Joe Burrow picture before he was drafted.  They had to draft him.  Still,  Dalton was better than most who quarterbacked this team.  We can't say he wasn't.  I've seen stronger arms.  Dalton did find a way to win games his first 5 years here, which many quarterbacks could not do with Bengals.  He was in Pro Bowls and was a good field general, not a great arm, but he had a will to win about him.

Now I'm old enough to have seen every Bengal QB since 1968, and I have to rank Dalton as 3rd best QB ever for Bengals.  Greg Cook is a big what if, but Bengals landed Ken Anderson fast enough. ...and now hopefully Joe Heisman Burrow gives Bengals Fans some great years....GO BENGALS.

I rank Dalton the same. Right behind Kenny and Boomer.

Dalton had a wicked quick release and was a great Slot/Post passing QB. Smart as well which is what you have to have to be 
good in the NFL. When he hung in the pocket and was patient he was his best. Too bad he got injured in 2015, cause I think 
that was our best team we fielded where we could of or even should of won the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 02:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your points are fair. I don't think Dalton was a great field general as you call it, but I think he had a calmness to never call it over until the game was actually over. He did have a lot of 4th qtr comebacks which, as fans, we loved. I can agree he is maybe 3rd best, but never getting over that hump and winning a playoff game really tarnished his image as a great one. He's still got some ball left in him and he's humble and patient. I hope he get's his playoff win so he can close that chapter.
Well said and hope he also pulls off a playoff win just not against us..l9l
Reply/Quote
It would be bitter sweet to see him go to Dallas and succeed. I would still like to see it happen though. He is a class act and some fans here treated him terribly. Booing him at a celebrity softball game in his home city had to be very disheartening but as far as I know he never bad mouthed Cincinnati for it. I'm still rooting for you Dalton (unless your playing the Bengals of course) and I really can't stand Dallas. America's team? Whatever.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
Might want to take into account the number of teams which can make the playoffs in the different eras. When Anderson came into the league only 4 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year. There were 3 division winners and 1 wildcard team. In 1972, 1976, 1977 Anderson would have made the playoffs under the current format to go along with his 1973, 1975, 1981 and 1982 appearances.

In Boomer's era 5 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year, 3 division winners and 2 wildcard teams.

In Dalton's (and Palmer's) era 6 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year and in three of those 5 Dalton playoff years the Bengals would not have made the playoffs back in Anderson's or Boomer's era because the Bengals got in as the 6th seed.

Now, in the Burrow era 7 teams will from each conference will make the playoffs.

So, Burrow will need lots of playoff appearances.

All of that said, I also have to give the nod to Dalton over Palmer. It's too bad Cook had that shoulder injury cause he would have been the best of them all.

Reply/Quote
Never heard of Virgil Carter, but was he really a better QB than Jeff Blake because of a single playoff appearance?

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 12:54 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Might want to take into account the number of teams which can make the playoffs in the different eras. When Anderson came into the league only 4 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year. There were 3 division winners and 1 wildcard team. In 1972, 1976, 1977 Anderson would have made the playoffs under the current format to go along with his 1973, 1975, 1981 and 1982 appearances.

In Boomer's era 5 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year, 3 division winners and 2 wildcard teams.

In Dalton's (and Palmer's) era 6 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year and in three of those 5 Dalton playoff years the Bengals would not have made the playoffs back in Anderson's or Boomer's era because the Bengals got in as the 6th seed.

Now, in the Burrow era 7 teams will from each conference will make the playoffs.

All of that said, I also have to give the nod to Dalton over Palmer. It's too bad Cook had that shoulder injury cause he would have been the best of them all.

It's hard to make those types of comparisons, as there were less teams in those decades, and less games played in a portion as well.  There isn't really a way to standardize it.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 02:37 PM)kevin Wrote:  Dalton did find a way to win games his first 5 years here, which many quarterbacks could not do with Bengals. 

Out, out, brief candle!

Dalton was but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. 

It is a tale told by an idiot, 

Full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

Dancing DREW-DEY!!! Dancing
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 09:27 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's hard to make those types of comparisons, as there were less teams in those decades, and less games played in a portion as well.  There isn't really a way to standardize it.

Since the 70's up until the end of last season the NFL has added 50% more teams to the playoffs, but there haven't been 50% more teams added.

Going 10-4 and are out of the playoffs would not happen today or anytime in the last 20 years.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 12:54 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Might want to take into account the number of teams which can make the playoffs in the different eras. When Anderson came into the league only 4 teams from each conference made the playoffs each year. There were 3 division winners and 1 wildcard team. In 1972, 1976, 1977 Anderson would have made the playoffs under the current format to go along with his 1973, 1975, 1981 and 1982 appearances.

You are correct less teams made playoffs back in the 70s etc.. but you do need to also take into account there were less teams.. 13 vs 16 in the AFC.. so when you look at percentage it would be about a 6.5 percent better chance of making the playoffs now compared to then.. so not as great difference when you factor in 16 vs 13 teams. 
Reply/Quote
I think history will remember it like this:

Dalton was to the Bengals what Jim Kelly was to the bills, except one was in the playoffs, the other in the super bowls.   Ninja
Reply/Quote