Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pratt impressive
(08-08-2019, 11:28 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree. The offensive scheme will help this O-line out, I believe. Gotta give credit to the coaches for bringing bits and and pieces of the west coast offense with them. The days of just telegraphing we are gonna pass are hopefully over. I think the important part to me that I read was, Wrs learning to get separation, when talking about Tate. That is something that I have harped on for awhile now. Our receivers never seemed to get wide open. every pass had to be on the money because every pass was contested by the defense. 

No doubt, it has plagued us for years.....that, and WRs not coming back to the ball in the scramble drill. I'll give Lazor (or whoever changed it) some credit for last season....I saw our receivers doing that more than any time in recent memory.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:25 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed,

I believe we'll see a difference from seasons past right from the jump, albeit not without some growing pains. How quickly they can gel and produce wins is hard to say ? But I strongly feel some surprises are in store around here this season, some eye opening.

I feel the same way. I think the offense will work itself out, but I believe the biggest surprise will be on defense. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:25 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed,

I believe we'll see a difference from seasons past right from the jump, albeit not without some growing pains. How quickly they can gel and produce wins is hard to say ? But I strongly feel some surprises are in store around here this season, some eye opening.

Absolutely fan.... I've got a good feeling about these guys. They're doing things the modern way. It'll all hinge on how good their schemes are, and how they call the games. I hope my feeling is right. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 10:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re exhausting.

(08-08-2019, 11:04 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What's your problem? 

He's probably just some kid who thinks he's being 'edgy' when in reality he about as edgy as a Buick full of Yanni fans.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt, it has plagued us for years.....that, and WRs not coming back to the ball in the scramble drill. I'll give Lazor (or whoever changed it) some credit for last season....I saw our receivers doing that more than any time in recent memory.

Yeah, that was another thing that bothered me about the Wrs. I wasn't down on Lazor as most were. I've heard people say, he didn't have a plan "B", but I think we were on plan "C" by the time the halfway point came.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:34 AM)Earendil Wrote: He's probably just some kid who thinks he's being 'edgy' when in reality he about as edgy as a Buick full of Yanni fans.

Hilarious  reps!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:28 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree. The offensive scheme will help this O-line out, I believe. Gotta give credit to the coaches for bringing bits and and pieces of the west coast offense with them. The days of just telegraphing we are gonna pass are hopefully over. I think the important part to me that I read was, Wrs learning to get separation, when talking about Tate. That is something that I have harped on for awhile now. Our receivers never seemed to get wide open. every pass had to be on the money because every pass was contested by the defense. 

That's something that's always really bothered me. I mean you watch other NFL games and you invariably see receivers running wide open or at least a good bit of separation on several plays a game. With us it's once maybe twice a game if we're lucky and a DB falls down or something.

And I've wondered are we that bad ? Are they that much better ? Is it the play calling ? Are we telegraphing our intentions ? Does are coaching just suck ? Or is it just in my head ?

I think a lot of it is as you say - telegraphing. Our offense for lack of better words had just become to vanilla, to predictable, and to conservative. 

Hopefully ZT can breath new life into that.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:19 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Good, have him start over vigil.  have vigil play a rotational role at best since hes a back up ball player.  good news pratt is catching on.  our linebackers and O-line have me reallllll worried

The current listed starters are Brown (MIKE), Vigil (SAM), and Evans (WILL).
Out of those 3, Evans is the worst. 
Plus, Pratt is a better fit at WILL than SAM.

Pratt should replace Evans, not Vigil.

With that said, I'm not opposed to finding a good upgrade to Vigil, but he's not as bad as some make him out to be. Vigil was the best LB on the team last year after Brown got hurt.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:36 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, that was another thing that bothered me about the Wrs. I wasn't down on Lazor as most were. I've heard people say, he didn't have a plan "B", but I think we were on plan "C" by the time the halfway point came.

Yes. In the Bengals offense last year, the top 3 options in the passing game were AJ, Eifert, and Boyd. When AJ and Eifert went out, they floundered.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The current listed starters are Brown (MIKE), Vigil (SAM), and Evans (WILL).

With that said, I'm not opposed to finding a good upgrade to Vigil, but he's not as bad as some make him out to be. Vigil was the best LB on the team last year after Brown got hurt.

Agreed,

Vigil isn't Dick Butkus or Zach Thomas but you can't have a team full of All pros. He's still a quality starter though.

Like has been said by several if he's your best LBer you're in trouble ! But if he's your #3 things aren't all that bad. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:04 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What's your problem? 

I think the bengals, every year, tout PR spun nonsense at the fans and year over year over year we gobble it up.

They are going to have their 4th straight losing season in 2019

How can all of these players be so great when the actual results are so poor.

It doesn’t make sense. So until I see any player actually performing on the field, in a real game, then I will get excited.

As for the crap that comes out of camp- you guys claim to hate Hobson. But this board is a clone of him, pontificating on how great every player in the organization will be. But it never works out
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 09:41 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-training-camp-battles-bengals-emergent-linebacker-the-receiver-plan-overcoming-o-line-losses-and-more/

"Pratt has become the talk of Bengals training camp"

Good to hear to say the least. We've been so badly chopped, sliced, and diced over the middle the past couple seasons and gave up so many 3rd and longs. Often 3rd and forevers !

Here's to hoping he's a goodun  Cheers

Yes!!!  Rock On 

This is what i have been wanting to hear man. Thanks for this BF74. 

Pratt was my 2nd favorite LB'er in the entire Draft and there could be an argument made for being the best with his versatility and never die attitude. He just can do it all, tackle, cover, is smart and never gives up on a play. He covered Wideouts on the edge and shut them down at NC State, I think it is safe to say that he can cover TE's and RB's for us in the Nickel which we have had trouble with forever.

This is great news and has me pumped, Tem has a great one to work with and our biggest weakness could turn into a strength with the addition of these two guys and Vigil and Evans improving and Preston hopefully staying healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The current listed starters are Brown (MIKE), Vigil (SAM), and Evans (WILL).

(08-08-2019, 12:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed,

Vigil isn't Dick Butkus or Zach Thomas but you can't have a team full of All pros. He's still a quality starter though.

Like has been said by several if he's your best LBer you're in trouble ! But if he's your #3 things aren't all that bad. 

Don't bother, guys; he hates Vigil to death, as if he stole his lunch one day or something.

Just ignore any Vigil-related post he, well, posts.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:12 PM)TopSix Wrote: I think the bengals, every year, tout PR spun nonsense at the fans and year over year over year we gobble it up.

It doesn’t make sense.  So until I see any player actually performing on the field, in a real game, then I will get excited.  

As for the crap that comes out of camp-  you guys claim to hate Hobson.  But this board is a clone of him, pontificating on how great every player in the organization will be.  But it never works out

Yes, every team spouts off about great camp and great camp players.

In the case of Pratt, the info on him having a great camp is also coming from independent sources. For example, articles in the Athletic have mentioned him several times as standing out. By the same token, the articles have noted Malik Jefferson has been no factor.

Pratt has been the first rookie LB that has shown instant starting capability since ? Maybe Keith Rivers? It is promising on its own but also promising that the new coaches are better at picking Lb's than previous ones. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:32 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Yes, every team spouts off about great camp and great camp players.

In the case of Pratt, the info on him having a great camp is also coming from independent sources. For example, articles in the Athletic have mentioned him several times as standing out. By the same token, the articles have noted Malik Jefferson has been no factor.

Pratt has been the first rookie LB that has shown instant starting capability since ? Maybe Keith Rivers? It is promising on its own but also promising that the new coaches are better at picking Lb's than previous ones. 

I think Vigil got some run as a rookie in terms of looking good. Either way between Pratt looking good and Brown losing a bunch of weight to be more agile I am feel better about the LB situation, although it is hard to feel worse about it based on last year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:12 PM)TopSix Wrote: I think the bengals, every year, tout PR spun nonsense at the fans and year over year over year we gobble it up.

I'm guessing you're a trillionaire what with winning the lottery over and over again. Rolleyes
The fact remains that our 2 biggest issues last season were injuries and poor coaching. So far (and knock on wood), we're still relatively heatlhy. The coaching issue has been addressed, though we don't yet know if we've improved there or not. But, due to this very reason, there's absolutely no way ANYONE can say we will have a good OR bad season.
As such, anyone claiming we're going to have a losing season this year barring multiple major injuries, is CLEARLY a troll.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
TopSix was R-U-N-N-O-F-T from RedsZone.

He makes people like me seem like Tony Robbins.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote

It doesn’t make sense.  So until I see any player actually performing on the field, in a real game, then I will get excited.  

As for the crap that comes out of camp-  you guys claim to hate Hobson.  But this board is a clone of him, pontificating on how great every player in the organization will be.  But it never works out

That's a very broad statement not based in fact.
In reality, our board members span from extremely pessimistic to extremely optimistic. Not everyone is optimistic about every player on the team.

You just joined this board less than a month ago and claim to be a Bengals fan, yet you seem to be spouting negative comment after negative comment about the Bengals.
Just curious...was your motivation to join this board just to be negative? Or are you looking to be the "I told you so" guy if your predictions come to fruition?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:12 PM)TopSix Wrote: As for the crap that comes out of camp-  you guys claim to hate Hobson.  But this board is a clone of him, pontificating on how great every player in the organization will be.  But it never works out

Look dude.  This board is actually a pretty decent mix.  We have "pie in the sky" homers and we have "sky is falling" haters.  But most of us a pretty much in the middle.  We want the team to do well, and we're excited/hopeful that the new coaches will fix some of the problems we have seen plague this team for 16 years.  We also realize that the roster is not full of All Pros, and that Mike Brown still owns the team. So, if you want to be crusty and pessimistic, that's fine.  But if you just want to call us all homers and rain on the parade, then piss off.
Reply/Quote
Topsix might be the most impressive troll ever. Even other negatrons don't like him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote