Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayers for Pope Francis’ Recovery After Surgery
Pope Francis underwent surgery yesterday to remove a small length colon affected by diverticulitis. He’s 84 so any procedure, even a minor one, comes with increased risk. Please join me in praying for the pope’s rapid recovery along with prayers of thanksgiving for the excellent medical treatment he received at Policlinica Gemelli in Rome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, Pope Francis seems like a decent and honorable man, especially in comparison to some individuals that poped up before in history. I hope he recovers well.

As for prayers, well, I'd assume a pope's health is one of the things God feels inclined to engage in without a couple more prayers threading this needle. So I question the rationale. Also and more decidedly, non-Christian. I send my best wishes, hope that's ok too.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 08:09 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, Pope Francis seems like a decent and honorable man, especially in comparison to some individuals that poped up before in history. I hope he recovers well.

As for prayers, well, I'd assume a pope's health is one of the things God feels inclined to engage in without a couple more prayers threading this needle. So I question the rationale. Also and more decidedly, non-Christian. I send my best wishes, hope that's ok too.

Of course it is!

I just remember this category is Politics AND Religion and I happen to notice 99% of the threads are about politics so I wanted to provide some balance. HAHA!

Best wishes from your sister city.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 09:16 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Of course it is!

I just remember this category is Politics AND Religion and I happen to notice 99% of the threads are about politics so I wanted to provide some balance.  HAHA!

And so you did, with a noble cause.
And I guess asking for prayers only makes sense for a pope, probably what he'd ask for as well. Not that it's an overly important topic, but at other instances, explicitly asking for prayers almost makes me flinch a bit; as if expressing sympathies and good wishes was solely reserved for Christians and anyone else can not credibly do so and hence need not participate.
I get it wasn't meant in that exclusive way and probably never is, I might just be culturally confused on that issue.

As for my favorite pope, as of now all seems fine as far as I can tell.

(07-05-2021, 09:16 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Best wishes from your sister city.

Ha, you remember that one... yeah I was a tad over-excited when I found that out several years ago now. I actually don't even know what a sister city actually does. We never really did visible sister city stuff in my childhood.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 08:09 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, Pope Francis seems like a decent and honorable man, especially in comparison to some individuals that poped up before in history. I hope he recovers well.

Prayers for Pope Francis.

I think it was Benedict or maybe it’s Francis I can’t remember but something about a Pope wearing a Rolex rubs me the wrong way. One of the last 3 wore a $5 timex watch.

Now if they acquired a holy relic blessed Rolex worn by a late Saint maybe I’d feel differently lol
Reply/Quote
He's God's voice on Earth. I don't think he needs thoughts and prayers. Probably shouldn't even need medical attention; he is the holiness after all.

Unless the whole religion thing is a giant scam made to keep the peasantry in line.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 06:54 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I think it was Benedict or maybe it’s Francis I can’t remember but something about a Pope wearing a Rolex rubs me the wrong way. One of the last 3 wore a $5 timex watch.

I think that was Jean Paul. And sure, Rolexes (Rolices?) probably contradict the whole Christian message. So does covering up wide-spread child rape which folks like Jean Paul used to sweep under the rug. His watch is a minor issue compared to what he allowed to happen under it.

I sure have issues with the current pope and with the whole institution still, but Francis imho is more sincere and likable than all his precedessors. So I can't let this Rolex story stand...

... also, my understanding of American Christianity is minimal at best, but wouldn't many Americans believe wealth is some kind of sign of God's approval? In that sense, a Rolex wouldn't be so bad.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 12:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: I think that was Jean Paul. And sure, Rolexes (Rolices?) probably contradict the whole Christian message.

You can read about it here (I just googled Pope Rolex and clicked on the first article): https://www.watchonista.com/articles/history/unlikely-watch-collector-popes

Pope Paul VI was officially presented with the clock by the Swiss Confederation. It simply wouldn't do for the pope to be caught glancing at his wrist during private meetings. It was only later that a watch was espied adorning Pope John Paul II’s wrist – a two-tone gold and steel Rolex Datejust on a classic Jubilee bracelet.

The first non-Italian pope since the 1500s, Pope John Paul II was noted for his modesty and abstention, he was instrumental in the fall of Communism. He showed no other outer trappings of wealth and was far from ostentatious. Many members of the Curia remember how the Polish cardinal, Karol Józef Wojtyła, arrived at the conclave that was about to elect him pope wearing tattered shoes because he had given his brand new pair to a man in need upon arriving at Rome station.

The Day-Date, one of the two Rolex models in his possession, was purported to be a gift from the Swiss manufacture. The combined use of gold and steel may be interpreted as the union between the spiritual and the worldly. Or, between earthly realities and the strength of the Church’s institution and the durability of spiritual riches.

It sounds like Rolex gifted him with a special Pope watch.  I'll leave others to decide if he should have worn it or not, or if he should have had the church put up for sale on Ebay and donated the money.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 01:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It sounds like Rolex gifted him with a special Pope watch.  I'll leave others to decide if he should have worn it or not, or if he should have had the church put up for sale on Ebay and donated the money.

Well, I for one decide that this is not that big of an issue - especially in comparison to this whole child molestation cover-up schemes. I'd rather reserve my critizisms for things like that.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 12:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: I think that was Jean Paul. And sure, Rolexes (Rolices?) probably contradict the whole Christian message. So does covering up wide-spread child rape which folks like Jean Paul used to sweep under the rug. His watch is a minor issue compared to what he allowed to happen under it.

I sure have issues with the current pope and with the whole institution still, but Francis imho is more sincere and likable than all his precedessors. So I can't let this Rolex story stand...

... also, my understanding of American Christianity is minimal at best, but wouldn't many Americans believe wealth is some kind of sign of God's approval? In that sense, a Rolex wouldn't be so bad.

I’m not catholic so I know very little about what Pope’s do and cover up. I just remember that random factoid in my brain about one of them owning a Rolex.
Reply/Quote