Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Combine & FA PFN Simulation
I previously did a simulation on PFF and this is how my Pro Football Network Simulation turned out with the same criteria.

To begin I will outline my FA and extension plan and I will note that I believe it is totally achievable:

Priorities I would have in returning FAs:
1) Vonn Bell
2) Hayden Hurst
3) Tre Flowers
4) Cal Adomitis
5) Mitchell Wilcox
6) Samaje Perine
7) Trent Taylor
8) Max Scharping

Extensions to secure:
1) Joe Burrow
2) Tee Higgins

You will note that a key free agent is missing and that is Germaine Pratt. Unfortunately, not every player will return to a team every season and I believe that his salary demands will be beyond what this team will be able to meet given upcoming extensions. With this said I feel the team is in good shape with Logan Wilson running the defense and the growth of Davis-Gaither, Bailey, and Bachie.

While I would like to see Bates back I believe that the combination of salary demand and how promising Hill looked at S in the preseason do not make this a great value for the franchise.

Onto the draft...this was run off of the PFN simulator with no trades: (I in no way believe Skoronski will be available at 28)

Round 1 - 28th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6syXNIu1T-No9v5phvAL...Q&usqp=CAU]

Peter Skoronski - LT - Northwestern - 6'4" 315

Peter took over for Slater at Northwestern and produced virtually identical results and has found himself sitting as the top OT in the draft just as Slater did. Their builds are as well almost identical and both block with the demeanor you are looking for in an offensive lineman. The concerns with Skoronski are as well similar to those of Slater and generally revolve around length and overall play strength. Slater answered those questions rather well and the hope is certainly that Skoronski will mirror Slater in this way as well.
(notables available: O. Torrence, A. Johnson, A. Harrison, D. Washington)

Round 2 - 60th Overall Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcIEkzUzaSe8ShLJ0woyH...g&usqp=CAU]

Deonte Banks - CB - Maryland - 6'2" 205

Banks certainly checks the boxes for a boundary corner and he has excellent size, length, and athleticism for playing the position at the NFL level. There are some areas of improvement needed in some of his techniques however there is nothing that would indicate this will be an issue with NFL coaching. This was a quote from a NFC scout:

Quote:“He’s one of my favorite cornerbacks I’ve studied. He’s going to be a really good pro.”

(notables available: L. Musgrave, D. Kincaid, N. Sewell, M. Mims)

Round 3 - 92nd Overall Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNKkiwsI0N__kugwOwOB4...w&usqp=CAU]

Kyu Blu Kelly - CB - Stanford - 6'0" 190

I had no intention on going back to back corners but with Kelly sitting there it was difficult to pass on. The league continues to become more of a passing league and high quality corners are a premium. Kelly has worked mostly in man coverage and has shown to play better in a scheme were he can press rather than cushion. These are issues that hopefully can be sorted out with NFL coaching. There may be some question about playing zone coverage as this was something that he was not asked to do at Stanford. However, Kelly brings the demeanor, athleticism, size, and physicality for the position and as well his father played 11 years in the league.
(notables available: T. Palmer, S. Brown, M. Bergeron, B. Young(DT - Bama))

Round 4 - 131st Overall Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXMIT3E8Kkth3yv887Kq9...w&usqp=CAU]

Zacch Pickens - DT - S. Carolina - 6'4" 305

I believe that Championship teams continue to build in the trenches. Pickens is a versatile and disruptive force in the middle of the defensive line. He should fight for a spot in the rotation on this defensive front and brings a lot of upside. He will need to continue to get stronger and to improve some areas of technique. He has shown some struggles with double teams but this could improve if he can work out some technical issues.

Round 5 - 165th Overall Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfzej533y8m-FGsCXOjfw...g&usqp=CAU]

Habakkuk Baldonado - DE - Pittsburgh - 6'5" 255

Raw no doubt but his ceiling is extremely high. Baldonado only played a single season of high school football in the United States so he is a bit behind the curve in the aspect of coaching. However, his potential jumps of the screen when you watch film on this kid. He definitely needs to expand his pass rushing moves but he has natural explosion and power. He already has shown a natural ability to set the edge in the run game. Lou should have fun developing this kid and finding ways to use him.

Round 6 - 206th Overall Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzJe3DWNZ8tRx9uhYMv41...Q&usqp=CAU]

Josh Whyle - TE - UC - 6'6" 250

Whyle will be a great addition to the TE room. Having a player like Hurst to help develop as a pro will be a huge benefit. each season at UC he has grown and developed his game. He is not an outstanding blocker but this is an area where he has grown dramatically. He is a willing blocker and has the attitude to become a good blocker. The receiving game is where he excels and he is a legit weapon to threaten the seams of a defense. Whyle has excellent hands and fights for the catch.

Round 7 - 248th Overall Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh1Iontq9e87_B0OGvdgJ...Q&usqp=CAU]

Brodric Martin - DT - W. Kentucky - 6'5" 337

Martin should be a player that can spell Reader and find a home in this DT rotation. He is naturally powerful with heavy hands and has shown the ability to fight thru double teams. Shows excellent first movement at the snap especially for a man of his size. As with many players of his size he needs to continue to focus to play with a lower pad level so he does not give away leverage. Overall, a very solid young prospect with a high ceiling at his position.
Reply/Quote
So, we keeping Mixon then and not attempting to upgrade the RB room?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 07:28 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: So, we keeping Mixon then and not attempting to upgrade the RB room?

Yep. If I were cutting Mixon then Perine would be my #1 back as he compliments this offensive scheme perfectly.
Reply/Quote