Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Combine Mock
We've seen the senior bowl come and go, but haven't seen the underwear Olympics yet.  So there's plenty of time to prognosticate on what will happen over the next several months.

Setting the Table: Free Agency

Honestly, what do you expect here?  I don't see us bringing in anyone of notable value here, considering the players we should sign, and the extensions we probably should work on.  Here's my guess.

Easier business decisions: Andre Smith, Leon Hall, Emmanuel Lamur, and Brandon Thompson are given their walking papers--well, maybe not Thompson and Lamur with those knee injuries (too soon?)

Tough business decisions--departures: Marvin Jones, Reggie Nelson.  Hue gets his prize, and Nelson heads home to a coach he's familiar with, Dolphin's DC Vance Joseph.  We want both, but do not engage in bidding wars.

Tough business decisions--staying put: Iloka, Sanu, Vinny Rey, Wallace Gillberry, Adam Jones, Pat Sims, Eric Winston, Brandon Tate.  Common theme here is easier to keep, mostly back-ups.  Iloka becomes the priority after teams pry away MLJ and Reggie.  Sanu keeps continuity, comes at less than half the price for MLJ.

OK, onto the draft.

1.  Josh Doctson, WR TCU--The Horned Frog Connection:Few have the downfield speed and ability to track a ball that Doctson possesses.  Overcompensating for MLJ being gone? Yes, but at a fraction of the cost--and we've shown a willingness to value WRs in the draft.
[Image: Doctson.jpg]

2. Vernon Butler, NT/DT, Louisiana Tech--So many DTs with 2nd-or-better round grades, we let the field come to us.  Butler is a force, large enough to command double-teams, and athletic enough to move horizontally, as well.
[Image: vernon-butler-la-tech.jpg]
3. Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin--After watching some tape on him, I'm a huge fan.  This is our answer for SAM, and can rush the passer on 3rd down at some point.  Fast, uncanny ability to get off blocks, but a little small to be considered by 3-4 teams...all to our advantage.  May not be the athletic type some may covet, but I'm not sure the Bengals care for that type that much.  We'll see how Flowers comes back from injury, and Vontaze is really underrated in the pass game.
[Image: uwNSA17327.jpg]

4. Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota--Part of a stifling pass defense on the edges in Minnesota, Murray provides quality depth and special teams play.
[Image: usa-today-8780021.0.jpg]

5. Elijah Shumate, SS, Notre Dame--Talented safety for the Fighting Irish with potential. With a spot available from Reggie's departure, we find someone to park behind Williams.

[Image: elijah-shumate-top25.jpg]

6. Kyle Friend, G/C, Temple--Strong anchor in the middle of the offense.  A backup--for now.  Bodine insurance, and a good backup to Zeitler and Boling.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

7. Silverberry Mouhon, DE, Cincinnati--Fun name.  The Bengals don't go far from home to bring in a backup DE with potential.  A little light, but with an offseason to lift and gain weight, he could be effective spelling the starters.

[Image: Belk+Bowl+Cincinnati+v+North+Carolina+BdJkGhkhdnwl.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If all we got out of the draft were Doctson and Butler i would be happy.

Doctson just makes it look easy. If he does well at the combine i think he sneaks into the first.

Butler is my favorite DT in the draft. With the loaded DT class one of them is dropping to our pick in the 2nd. I hope its him.
Reply/Quote
I'd be ok with this draft, but I hate your FA and not because I disagree with it, but because that's probably exactly how it will play out. No impact players signed, letting Jones go, resigning low impact/old/injured players, and last but not least bringing back brandon f'n tate.
Reply/Quote
This is a good draft.  I'd love to see it go down like this. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think Mouhon will be a UDFA.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Really don't want to spend a first round pick on the guy who will get the third most targets at best on this team.
I'm not big on Butler as a NT. I think he played much better at 5-Tech than NT.
Reply/Quote
This is the first mock i have looked at and it looks good.

I think i might go earlier with DT and Linebacker and hopefull we bring in a FA WR instead of Drafting one early.

I like Doctson but if we went with one in the first i like Corey Coleman much better.

Good job though being so early.
Reply/Quote