Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Combine Trade Down Mock
1: Joe Burrow, QB LSU - No brainer.

2: trade back with MIA for extra 3rd - You probably thought this trade down mock was going to be with the 1st rounder, but nope. 33 overall. The Bengals have a lot of holes and need more picks. Trade value chart shows this to be an identical trade in terms of value.

2 (MIA - 56): Justin Madubuike, DT Texas A&M - Rising interior penetrator that I believe could become the 3T heir to Atkins.

3: Josh Jones, OT Houston - One of PFF's best college OTs in 2019, but he needs some refinement in technique. He would make for a good swing OT.

3 (MIA - 70): Jordyn Brooks, LB Texas Tech - Some think Brooks could become a 3-down LB. Any concerns with that are with his needed development to cover, but he has the speed and instincts needed to be a good LB.
He should improve the run game for sure. Adding a proven vet like Littleton would help mitigate the risk in case he doesn't expand his coverage abilities.

4: Troy Pride Jr, CB Notre Dame - Blazing CB who needs some work on sticking better to receivers and making turnovers. His 40 time will boost him up this high, but he's worth bringing in as a depth CB for a year or two.

5: Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota - Johnson will be one of those that gets lost in the fray due to a stacked WR class and being somewhat on the slower side. However, he catches everything and can climb the ladder. Dude will be reliable.

6: Logan Stenberg, OG Kentucky - Stenberg helped UK establish a great ground game. I think he could compete for either OG spot and push for a starting role. See Bfine's thread on Stenberg to give confidence in his ability.

7: Josh Metellus, S Michigan - Depth safety who was a leader at Michigan and can play the run well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't see Josh Jones there in the 3rd round, but we've seen crazier things fall in the draft. I love trading back for the additional 3rd round pick. Then you have Jordyn Brooks and Tyler Johnson in this mock. 2 of my favorite prospects. Great work.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
It would be interesting to see the draft fall this way. A lot of talent would be falling to us. Josh Jones is currently a fringe 1st Round pick and I’ve seen Logan Sternberg in 2nd-3rd often so to get them in the 3rd and 6th would be amazing. I like the trade though. Depending on who’s available at the beginning of the 2nd I think a trade back is a real possibility.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 09:30 AM)Takedown Wrote: I don't see Josh Jones there in the 3rd round, but we've seen crazier things fall in the draft. I love trading back for the additional 3rd round pick. Then you have Jordyn Brooks and Tyler Johnson in this mock. 2 of my favorite prospects. Great work.

(02-16-2020, 02:08 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: It would be interesting to see the draft fall this way. A lot of talent would be falling to us. Josh Jones is currently a fringe 1st Round pick and I’ve seen Logan Sternberg in 2nd-3rd often so to get them in the 3rd and 6th would be amazing. I like the trade though. Depending on who’s available at the beginning of the 2nd I think a trade back is a real possibility.

I've seen a mix on Josh Jones honestly. As early as 28 but also into the 3rd round. I'd be fine taking him in Rd 2 and waiting on DT after, but I just really like Madubuike and I see his stock climbing fast.

As for Stenberg, same thing. I've seen mentioned on Day 2 but also often mentioned on Day 3 even as low as a UDFA. But I like him and hope he'll be a Bengal. I'd be fine taking him earlier, but there's not another 6th rounder I'd be more excited about than him.

As is typical, aside from like the top 10 guys, there always seems to be 50 guys who are first round prospects and 150 who are Day 2 prospects, so some of them will fall.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I've seen a mix on Josh Jones honestly. As early as 28 but also into the 3rd round. I'd be fine taking him in Rd 2 and waiting on DT after, but I just really like Madubuike and I see his stock climbing fast.

As for Stenberg, same thing. I've seen mentioned on Day 2 but also often mentioned on Day 3 even as low as a UDFA. But I like him and hope he'll be a Bengal. I'd be fine taking him earlier, but there's not another 6th rounder I'd be more excited about than him.

As is typical, aside from like the top 10 guys, there always seems to be 50 guys who are first round prospects and 150 who are Day 2 prospects, so some of them will fall.

I hear you. This early in the draft process everything is still fluid so anything can happen

I haven’t looked at Madubuike at all since I think DT is a lower priority with all our other issues. I’m curious to do some research on him though. A DT who can collapse a pocket is game changing.
Reply/Quote
Something else that I think will cause Jones to be taken later than some think:
Arm Length = 33.63"

That's considered shorter than preferred arm length (34+).

Remember how people were criticizing Jonah Williams because he had shorter arms and might have to move inside?
Well Jones has the same arm length as Jonah Williams, so NFL teams could be cautious on him too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 11:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Something else that I think will cause Jones to be taken later than some think:
Arm Length = 33.63"

That's considered shorter than preferred arm length (34+).

Remember how people were criticizing Jonah Williams because he had shorter arms and might have to move inside?
Well Jones has the same arm length as Jonah Williams, so NFL teams could be cautious on him too.

That’s a good point. The combine measurables will begin to slot players as the front offices get to lay eyes on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 05:39 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: I hear you. This early in the draft process everything is still fluid so anything can happen

I haven’t looked at Madubuike at all since I think DT is a lower priority with all our other issues. I’m curious to do some research on him though. A DT who can collapse a pocket is game changing.

It wouldn't be hard to convince me to flip flop my Madubuike and Jones picks, but I think it will be harder to find an inside pass rusher than it will an OT in this draft, so I probably "reached" some for Madubuike than I'd like.

Also, I'd be fine with taking Tyler Johnson and Logan Stenberg earlier too and going CB in Rd 6, but the speed of Pride intrigued me and I think will cause teams to draft him higher.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote