Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goalposts?
Saw this article from Peter King on PFT.com

It got me thinking about the Bengal's practice fields next to the stadium. I don't believe they have goalposts. Interesting take from Patricia as to why they are important. As someone that played a little QB, it makes sense....

ALLEN PARK, Mich. — So Matt Patricia doesn’t say much, or allow his players to say much, about the inner stuff of the Lions. When I asked Matthew Stafford about Patricia, he said some laudatory things about what a smart and prepared guy he was, then said he’ll keep everything specific behind closed doors. Okay. But I did learn one very Patricia thing this week, about his attention to detail. So when Patricia got the job and toured the Lions facility in suburban Allen Park, he looked around the practice fields and thought, Something’s missing. This is weird. He asked a couple of Lions’ people why there were no goalposts on the practice fields. He queried GM Bob Quinn, who’d gone two years at the helm of the team with no permanent goalposts (just temp posts, wheeled out during practice). Patricia said to Quinn, “The quarterbacks need that as a landmark.” Receivers too, on post routes. Patricia was befuddled about it. So when I showed up, I saw four permanent goalposts on the two long practice fields: two with standard width, and two with narrow width, for the kickers to be tested with tougher kicks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 07:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Saw this article from Peter King on PFT.com

It got me thinking about the Bengal's practice fields next to the stadium.  I don't believe they have goalposts.  Interesting take from Patricia as to why they are important.  As someone that played a little QB, it makes sense....

ALLEN PARK, Mich. — So Matt Patricia doesn’t say much, or allow his players to say much, about the inner stuff of the Lions. When I asked Matthew Stafford about Patricia, he said some laudatory things about what a smart and prepared guy he was, then said he’ll keep everything specific behind closed doors. Okay. But I did learn one very Patricia thing this week, about his attention to detail. So when Patricia got the job and toured the Lions facility in suburban Allen Park, he looked around the practice fields and thought, Something’s missing. This is weird. He asked a couple of Lions’ people why there were no goalposts on the practice fields. He queried GM Bob Quinn, who’d gone two years at the helm of the team with no permanent goalposts (just temp posts, wheeled out during practice). Patricia said to Quinn, “The quarterbacks need that as a landmark.” Receivers too, on post routes. Patricia was befuddled about it. So when I showed up, I saw four permanent goalposts on the two long practice fields: two with standard width, and two with narrow width, for the kickers to be tested with tougher kicks.

Makes sense, BTW, always wondered why they had the goalposts at the front of the End Zone back in the day.

That always messes with my head when i watch old highlights.

Sure would be fun running right into those things.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 06:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes sense, BTW, always wondered why they had the goalposts at the front of the End Zone back in the day.

You're warped my man.... The video is even funnier when the players in frankenstein helmets hit them!!  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 07:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Saw this article from Peter King on PFT.com

It got me thinking about the Bengal's practice fields next to the stadium.  I don't believe they have goalposts.  Interesting take from Patricia as to why they are important.  As someone that played a little QB, it makes sense....

We have goal posts on second practice  field
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We have goal posts on second practice  field

Makes sense. Kickers gotta practice too. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 06:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes sense, BTW, always wondered why they had the goalposts at the front of the End Zone back in the day.

I ran into one in high school although I was running track at the time.. Don't ask how it happened. .
The old stadium (West Carrolton HS) was a WPA project during the depression in the 1930s and the locker room smelled like it too.. heck, it was already 40 some years when I attended and had an old gnarly cinder track . Nice grass field though. They didn't take good care of the stadium bleachers or locker rooms, but the grass was top notch..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Kickers need to get paid per FG made, simple as that. Yes, also get a the NFL's minimum salary (as base)and incentives for (winning games). Last year most FGs attempted by a team were 45 with the least being 19.

For reference: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 12:57 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Kickers need to get paid per FG made, simple as that. Yes, also get a the NFL's minimum salary (as base)and incentives for (winning games). Last year most FGs attempted by a team were 45 with the least being 19.

For reference: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking
Seems a kicker would hate to be on a team that scored a lot of TDs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 01:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems a kicker would hate to be on a team that scored a lot of TDs

$100,000 per FG sounds about right.. $1,000 for extra points..
Reply/Quote

I think regular goalposts must've looked like the narrow width ones for Nugent his last couple of years with us. Dude just tanked. He had a couple of pretty good years here. Not hating on the Nuge. It's just true. Guy just couldn't hit. Hell, he was missing extra points!!!! 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2018, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We have goal posts on second practice  field

Ok, I thought there was one set, but one set, out of three fields?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 03:36 AM)Shady Wrote: I think regular goalposts must've looked like the narrow width ones for Nugent his last couple of years with us. Dude just tanked. He had a couple of pretty good years here. Not hating on the Nuge. It's just true. Guy just couldn't hit. Hell, he was missing extra points!!!! 

Actually, hitting was the problem.  I have never seen more balls actually hit the posts in one season.  It seemed like he was always clanging one off the actual post.  Tough to do even in you are trying.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 08:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ok, I thought there was one set, but one set, out of three fields?

Kickers only need one field to practice on. Posts elsewhere are just hazards....
Reply/Quote
How Bengal kickers practice indoors in bad weather conditions:

[Image: paper-flick-football-illustration-from-wikihow.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 09:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Kickers only need one field to practice on. Posts elsewhere are just hazards....

You must not have read the article.  And I wasn't saying I agreed with it 100%, but it made sense to me.  The QB and receivers use goal posts to site adjust routes and targets.  I just thought it was interesting how he brought that up and then they got the goal posts.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2018, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You must not have read the article.  And I wasn't saying I agreed with it 100%, but it made sense to me.  The QB and receivers use goal posts to site adjust routes and targets.  I just thought it was interesting how he brought that up and then they got the goal posts.  

No, I read it, I just don't agree with it. If QB's and receivers don't know where they are on the field in relationship to where the posts are, regardless of if they are there or not, then they probably don't need to be playing in this league..... IMO of course (which means nothing)
Reply/Quote

I think they thought goal posts should be on the goal line, sticking straight up out of the dirt and white chalk just waiting from somebody running full speed who forgot about it being there. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote