Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Preseason Predictions
Yes, yes. Too early to make predictions and so forth. Just for the sake of argument, what do you predict based on what we know right now?

I get 9-7 by running down the schedule game by game, but I'd like to think they can get to 10-6.

Sun., Sept. 13: at Oakland, 4:25 p.m. - W

Sun., Sept. 20: SAN DIEGO, 1 p.m. - W

Sun., Sept. 27: at Baltimore, 1 p.m. - L

Sun., Oct. 4: KANSAS CITY, 1 p.m. - W

Sun., Oct. 11: SEATTLE, 1 p.m.* - L

Sun., Oct. 18: at Buffalo, 1 p.m.* - L

Sun., Oct. 25: (BYE WEEK)

Sun., Nov. 1: at Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.* - L

Thurs., Nov. 5: CLEVELAND, 8:25 p.m. (NFL Network) - W

Mon., Nov. 16: HOUSTON, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN) - W

Sun., Nov. 22: at Arizona, 4:05 p.m.* - L

Sun., Nov. 29: ST. LOUIS, 1 p.m.* - W

Sun., Dec. 6: at Cleveland, 1 p.m.* - L

Sun., Dec. 13: PITTSBURGH, 1 p.m.* - W

Sun., Dec. 20: at San Francisco, 8:30 p.m. (NBC)* - W

Mon., Dec. 28: at Denver, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN) - L

Sun., Jan. 3: BALTIMORE, 1 p.m.* - W
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2015, 05:20 PM)Utts Wrote: Yes, yes. Too early to make predictions and so forth. Just for the sake of argument, what do you predict based on what we know right now?

I get 9-7 by running down the schedule game by game, but I'd like to think they can get to 10-6.

I agree with your prediction. Granted, I am not as sold as most people are on Baltimore and Pittsburgh being legitimate title contenders (I think our team is more well-rounded then either of theirs) so 9-7/10-6 should get it done for a division crown. Add the brutal schedule for the AFCN this year and I think our ground and pound style gets the job done.

Give me 26 TD's for Dalton (with only 12 INTs) and 1400+ for AJ Green with 13 TDs. Hill runs for 1300 yards with 11 TDs, and Gio adds 500 rushing and 500 receiving with maybe 9 total TDs.

Defense moves back in the top ten with a ranking of 8th.

I say we get a home playoff game as the 4 seed and I say we win 2 playoff games this year (enough to get to the AFC championship game in New England).

Pats go on to repeat as champs against Seattle in a Super Bowl rematch.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sun., Oct. 18: at Buffalo, 1 p.m.* - W
Sun., Nov. 1: at Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.* - W
Thurs., Nov. 5: CLEVELAND, 8:25 p.m. (NFL Network) - L
Mon., Nov. 16: HOUSTON, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN) - L
Sun., Nov. 22: at Arizona, 4:05 p.m.* - W
Sun., Dec. 6: at Cleveland, 1 p.m.* - W
Sun., Dec. 20: at San Francisco, 8:30 p.m. (NBC)* - L

This team has the talent to go 13-3 and compete for a BYE. Unfortunately, it seems like 10-6 or maybe 11-5 is the absolute best we can expect with the current HC in place. The main problems are that they can't post a winning record in the division and they struggle in prime-time games. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2015, 06:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This team has the talent to go 13-3 and compete for a BYE. Unfortunately, it seems like 10-6 or maybe 11-5 is the absolute best we can expect with the current HC in place. The main problems are that they can't post a winning record in the division and they struggle in prime-time games. 

I agree with this assessment. Pretty much can guarantee this team will show up to three or four games completely unprepared.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm not predicting anything, but I do think if everyone is healthy throughout the season this team will go far. It's just to hard to say what type of season anyone will have. Look at JJ Hoover with the Reds last year. He was instant home run in the 9th and this year has been totally different except the past few days. .The past isn't a great predictor of the future.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
13-3

2 losses to Pittsburgh because the Bengals have trouble against Pittsburgh. The Bengals are intimidated by Pittsburgh for some reason.

The other loss will come against Denver.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2015, 05:20 PM)Utts Wrote: Yes, yes. Too early to make predictions and so forth. Just for the sake of argument, what do you predict based on what we know right now?

at Oakland:  W
SD:  W
at Baltimore L
KC:  W
Seattle:  W
at Buffalo:  L
at Pitt:  W
Cleveland:  W
Houston:  W
at Arizona:  W
St Lous:  W
At Cleveland:  W
Pitt:  W
at SF W
at Denver:  L
Baltimore:  W

13-3.  We sweep Pitt this year and split with Balt.  This team will be special.  With Johnson back, the D is reviitalized.  They can do their rotation again.  Gene will be back to his old self.  Their spark will be back.  With Green, Eifert, and Jones healthy, plus a deep O Line, our O will be scoring points.  This is our year.
Reply/Quote
At Oakland - W

SAN DIEGO - W

At Baltimore - W

KANSAS CITY - W

SEATTLE - L

At Buffalo - W

At Pittsburgh - L

CLEVELAND - W

HOUSTON - W

At Arizona - W

ST. LOUIS - W

At Cleveland - W

PITTSBURGH - W

At San Francisco - W

At Denver - L

BALTIMORE - W

I see this as a year of urgency from everyone. There's going to be a ton of possible free agents and some players are ending their careers. Believe this is the year they actually take a huge step. 13-3.
Reply/Quote
at Oakland:  W
SD:  W
at Baltimore W
KC:  W
Seattle:  L
at Buffalo:  W
at Pitt:  W
Cleveland:  W
Houston:  W
at Arizona:  W
St Lous:  W
At Cleveland:  L
Pitt:  L
at SF W
at Denver:  W
Baltimore:  W

I have a Cpl changes from Bonnie.

Split with Pitt and Cleve. Lose to Seattle. I can see that Rams game being a toss up as well.

Fortunately we get them at home.
Reply/Quote
I think 10-6 is realistic, I mean with 4 primetime games we'll be very lucky to win two with ML still as HC. Splitting with the Steelers is the very best we can hope for and coming off the bye at their place is our best hope. The Steelers own ML at PBS !

The Browns nearly always pull off one of their 4 wins for the season against Lewis. I doubt we can beat Seattle and there's always a game we don't come to play.

I hope we can get to 10 - 6. On paper we're probably 11 - 5 or 12 - 4 even, but I'll have to see it to believe it.
Reply/Quote
9 - 7 or better seems realistic as long as injuries don't kick us. I'd say the best we could really hope for is 12 - 4, but we must win the close games. That means Andy and the D must step up in critical situations.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Why are people saying we'll lose to Seattle in Cincinnati? They're 14-10 on the road under Wilson. Not much better than .500 I think we could win that game.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 12:18 AM)Bryan Wrote: Why are people saying we'll lose to Seattle in Cincinnati? They're 14-10 on the road under Wilson. Not much better than .500 I think we could win that game.
In fact since Carroll took over the Seahawks they're 19-21 on the road.

Reply/Quote
I don't see any teams on this list that are better than us.
16-0
Rock On

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 03:21 AM)orangeandblackblood Wrote: I don't see any teams on this list that are better than us.
16-0
Rock On

Haha who dey
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 12:22 AM)Bryan Wrote: In fact since Carroll took over the Seahawks they're 19-21 on the road.

That's actually a really interesting stat.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:01 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: That's actually a really interesting stat.

Yeah if you add in his stints with the Jets and Pats he's 31-41 on the road. If you take Wilson's road W-L record out he's 17-31 on the road. I'm not saying the Seahawks are an easy team to beat, just pointing out Carroll isn't historically good on the road.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:25 AM)Bryan Wrote: Yeah if you add in his stints with the Jets and Pats he's 31-41 on the road. If you take Wilson's road W-L record out he's 17-31 on the road. I'm not saying the Seahawks are an easy team to beat, just pointing out Carroll isn't historically good on the road.

Meanwhile Dalton is 21-10-1 at home.

He's 13-2-1 the past two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 04:30 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Meanwhile Dalton is 21-10-1 at home.

He's 13-2-1 the past two seasons.

For giggles(pun intended), I decided to look up Marvin's home and road splits.

At home Marvin is 57-37-2. On the road he's 43-53. Interestingly enough we've only ever had a losing record at home two times under Marvin in 2008(3-4-1) and 2010(3-5), we've been .500 three times 2006, 2011, and 2012, and the rest are all winning records at home. Speaking of 2008 and 2010 Marvin was 1-7 on the road in both years, which hurt his overall road record pretty badly. 

Reply/Quote
Sun., Oct. 11: SEATTLE, 1 p.m.* - W
Sun., Oct. 18: at Buffalo, 1 p.m.* - W
Sun., Dec. 6: at Cleveland, 1 p.m.* - W

Here is why I selected those games as losses: Baltimore at home is extremely difficult. They had a great game plan last year, even though they struggled in the red zone. That would be an ultimate statement game if they could get a win there, but I am going with the odds that say the Bengals will not be favored in that one.

The second loss I have for them is at Pittsburg. This could also be a huge turnaround game for the Bengals if they could knock them off in pittsburg, but the Bengals struggle so much against the passing game of the steelers. They have to be almost perfect to outscore them and even though Pittsburg's defense is declining, I think Marvin's conservative nature will not allow the Bengals to break free on this one.

The third loss is going strictly with the stats: road teams after MNF struggle tremendously. If I remember, it is something like 30% winning percentage straight up. A decent travel after MNF will be very tough. I think the Bengals are a better team than the Cards if healthy, but this is going to prove to be a very difficult challenge on a short week.

The fourth (and final!) loss I have is the road game against Denver on MNF coming off a road game in San Fran. What I could honestly see here is a case of motivation. Even though it will likely be cold and limiting Manning to some extent, the Bengals may already be in a good position for a division title and the Broncos might be fighting for their playoff lives. I don't see Denver as having improved as much as San Diego and Kansas City. I'm looking forward to this game in a big way because I think the Bengals will have shaken their primetime curse by then and might be fired up to end Manning's Broncos shot at the playoffs. It is going to be fun to watch. I might try to make this the annual trip game and tie in some skiing.
Reply/Quote