Poll: How many yards does Drew Sample end up with in 2021?
0-149
150-299
300-399
400-499
500 or more
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Predict Drew Sample's Receiving Total for 2021
(06-06-2021, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I claimed I had watched about half of the games when in fact I had only watched 2 of 10 live and listened to the rest of them.  So I lied about watching three games.

Now I could jump you for lying about me claiming to watch "all the games" but why bother?

You said you "lived streamed" over half of the games when I asked if you watched them.

I then asked you what site you used to do this, because I was interested in using it for out of market.  You claimed ESPN, which was obviously bs.  ESPN doesn't have a standalone package, nor do they have access to local CBS and Fox games.

When asked about this you claimed you actually meant NFL.com, and not ESPN.  I then asked if you meant NFL Ticket, which would give you access to every game.  Then you finally admitted that you actually only saw a couple of them and listened to the on ESPN Radio.

Funny thing though, I'm pretty sure even the ESPN Radio thing was a lie.  Cuz I asked what announcer you got on their radio feed and you said Dave Lapham and Dan Hoard, and they let you choose.  I'm pretty sure that's true at all. 

The whole thing was one lie after another, after another.  And I don't blame you.  I'd lie too if I spent the time to post 40k times about a team and players I rarely if ever watch.  It would make it seem like I was talking completely out of my ass, put me fandom into question because I couldn't invest $200 into something I claim to be such a fan of.  Especially for a lawyer.  You aint got 200 bucks to spare for something you're this passionate about?

Really embarrassing day for Fred Toast.  I could be a total jerk and call you an asbolute fraud but I'll be better than that.
Reply/Quote
9 x 17= 153
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Pretty simple question:  How many yards does Drew Sample end up with in 2021?

Positives to consider:  1.) We should have an improved OL, which may limit his need to stay in and block.  2.) Replacing AJ with Chase should open up more work underneath as defenses will have to pay more attention to being beaten over the top.  3.) Is now going into his 3rd year with a near full season of starting experience.  4.)  *Knock on wood*  Will hopefully have Joe Burrow for more than 9.5 games, who also has a year of experience under his belt, and should improve.

Negatives to consider:  1.) With CJ Uzomah returning it may relegate to Sample to being a complete afterthought in the pass game.

Just for reference:  Sample's receiving totals in years 1 and 2 were 30 yards, and 349 and yards, in case you were looking to work off of these.

Just for fun:  I'm going to bump this thread at season's end.  We should all agree to rep whatever members predicted the correct option in the poll (the poll will be public so we can see who was right).

I think Drew gets around 350 yards and a couple TD's cause Uzo is the main dude having a big year at TE.

Uzo misses a few games and Sample is the guy that feasts in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Drew gets around 350 yards and a couple TD's cause Uzo is the main dude having a big year at TE.

Uzo misses a few games and Sample is the guy that feasts in the middle.

You mean Moss, not Sample?  Tongue
Reply/Quote
With all of the undue attention that Drew Sample has been receiving lately, I think we just might be on the verge of an "Ultimate all things Drew Sample Megathread".. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With all of the undue attention that Drew Sample has been receiving lately, I think we just might be on the verge of an "Ultimate all things Drew Sample Megathread".. Ninja

The man was a second round pick. That's firmly in the area of where the foundation of your team is drafted. Until he puts himself up there with the likes of Dalton, Higgins, Bates, Dunlap, or... Nah; I'll be nice and leave Chad outta this, then he deserves attention. I know he didn't draft himself, and I'm sure he's a great guy just doing what's asked of him... There's a lot of room for improvement and criticism in my book though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 06:15 PM)jason Wrote: The man was a second round pick. That's firmly in the area of where the foundation of your team is drafted. Until he puts himself up there with the likes of Dalton, Higgins, Bates, Dunlap, or... Nah; I'll be nice and leave Chad outta this, then he deserves attention. I know he didn't draft himself, and I'm sure he's a great guy just doing what's asked of him... There's a lot of room for improvement and criticism in my book though.

So, because he hasn't hijacked Zac Taylor's play calling microphone, and called plays that put him 10-15 yds down field, we should criticize him??   Mellow 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, because he hasn't hijacked Zac Taylor's play calling microphone, and called plays that put him 10-15 yds down field, we should criticize him??   Mellow 

Maybe he could get 10 or 15 yards after the catch once or twice.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
A well rounded TE who doesn’t put up Kelce like numbers so fans shit on him. Pretty unfair for Drew but it is what it is.

Go watch our run game and you will see this guy climbing out of the front of the pile quite often. And it’s only been two years. At a position that on offense aside from QB takes the longest to make the transition from college to NFL.

Our receiver group isn’t the deepest. And we like to throw a lot. So I think Sample will still see a decent amount of opportunity. Leading the way in the run game and putting up 400-499 yards will be a very successful season. No doubt a lot of the same fans will still shit on him. But maybe winning cures that.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 07:45 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe he could get 10 or 15 yards after the catch once or twice.

Since the OP was making his case off of the fact that the average length of pass to Sample was 3.8 yards, I took the angle that I did.  However, if is very noble of you to continue the argument by changing the goal posts by now including yards after catch..  Rolleyes

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Since the OP was making his case off of the fact that the average length of pass to Sample was 3.8 yards, I took the angle that I did.  However, if is very noble of you to continue the argument by changing the goal posts by now including yards after catch..  Rolleyes

Haha... An eye roll. The guy's a scrub and one of the worst picks of Zac's pitiful era. My goalposts are very stationary. I know it's crazy to expect a guy to make shit happen when he has the ball. Granted... He's young and can still improve, but it takes some rose colored glasses to see Sample as anything more than a backup TE (the guy he backs up isn't a world beater either). Awesome job in leading the team in catch percentage though.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 07:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A well rounded TE who doesn’t put up Kelce like numbers so fans shit on him. Pretty unfair for Drew but it is what it is.

Well, that's about the biggest understatement I've ever seen.  That's like describing a critique of a Chevy Cavalier as people merely complaing it doesn't drive like a Ferrari.  (Fwiw, I find these to be the absolutely laziest types of arguments.  Just painting other's opinions to the absolute extreme in order to make them appear irrational.)

How about 500-700 yards and 5+ TD's, something like that?  You give that and and so decent blocking and I don't think anyone has nearly the same issues with the production.  I don't think anyone is holding him to the 1,416 and 11 TD standard that Travis Kelce has set.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, because he hasn't hijacked Zac Taylor's play calling microphone, and called plays that put him 10-15 yds down field, we should criticize him??   Mellow 

So, I think you bascially have to pick one or the or other with a statement like this; either Zac Taylor is the absolute worst play caller of all time and refuses to use Sample in any way that resembles modern football, or there is a reason he is used the way he is, and it's because he's virtually incapable of getting open in coverage down the field.  It's got to be one or the other or  at the very least, some a combination of them both.

To each their own, but when I watch Drew Sample play, the way he moves, his speed, his agility, he looks nothing like what a #1 tight end looks like.  Like not even close.  He looks like someone you'd draft in 1982.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: Haha... An eye roll. The guy's a scrub and one of the worst picks of Zac's pitiful era. My goalposts are very stationary. I know it's crazy to expect a guy to make shit happen when he has the ball. Granted... He's young and can still improve, but it takes some rose colored glasses to see Sample as anything more than a backup TE (the guy he backs up isn't a world beater either). Awesome job in leading the team in catch percentage though.

(06-06-2021, 08:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, I think you bascially have to pick one or the or other with a statement like this; either Zac Taylor is the absolute worst play caller of all time and refuses to use Sample in any way that resembles modern football, or there is a reason he is used the way he is, and it's because he's virtually incapable of getting open in coverage down the field.  It's got to be one or the other or  at the very least, some a combination of them both.

To each their own, but when I watch Drew Sample play, the way he moves, his speed, his agility, he looks nothing like what a #1 tight end looks like.  Like not even close.  He looks like someone you'd draft in 1982.

It's pretty obvious that we will continue to have differing opinions on Drew Sample the player.  So, in an effort to not perpetuate circular arguments on either side, I'm going to cease further argument on my part in this discussion.  Not saying that one view is correct over the other, just wanting to keep the peace with a couple of posters that I generally like reading. 

As for Drew Sample's worth, I guess this season will tell the story on him.  So we will have to wait to find out who's point of view was the correct one. ThumbsUp

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Something awful
Reply/Quote
0 yards. Sample should block so Burrow can get the ball to one of the fifty other guys we have on offense who can catch it.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 0 yards. Sample should block so Burrow can get the ball to one of the fifty other guys we have on offense who can catch it.

Lol that’s the truth.

Higgins, Chase, Boyd, Mixon, Uzo, either of the rookie rbs... all of those guys are more exciting options.

He will get his catches though as the forgotten man. Hopefully he makes the most of those opportunities.
Reply/Quote
For the sake of the board, I predicted 400-499. Just trying to do the right thing lol
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:53 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lol that’s the truth.

Higgins, Chase, Boyd, Mixon, Uzo, either of the rookie rbs... all of those guys are more exciting options.

He will get his catches though as the forgotten man. Hopefully he makes the most of those opportunities.

I guess we will see.  Maybe if Burrow gets 5,000 yards on the year Sample will get 500 of them.  I can't help but feel if Sample is getting that many yards (not that it is a whole lot) that we're in one of those "Rex Burkhead was our #1 WR" situations. 

Sample had 349 yards last season and I need to remember this is now a 17 game season BUT in 2021 we should have Uzomah and Mixon healthy, and Chase over a broken down AJ Green. I suppose Sample could get m 30 yards per game just by being the forgotten man, but he's more likely to get receptions by being higher on the depth chart than we wanted him to be and/or a product of us throwing the ball 50 times per game.

With all the offensive weapons we have, it would be encouraging to think that Burrow had enough time in the pocket to get it to what should be his 5th or 6th option, though.
Reply/Quote
I say if Sample gets 550+ receiving yards, then Wes has to have a "#1 Drew Sample fan" graphic signature for the entirety of the following season.
Reply/Quote