Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prediction for 2021 Draft if no NFL games in '20
Hello,

I was reading a NY Times article that brought up some very good points which made me sick to my stomach about the NFL season.
And, that there's a very good chance that the NFL season will end up getting cancelled as well???!!!

I know, we all shudder at the possibility of that happening.

They brought up things such as OL vs DL contact/practicing against each other and both contracting the virus. Then, needing to be quarantined. Or, spreading it to a lot of players/coaches/staff/ entire team, etc...

Then they talked about states like California and NY having to stay shelter in place for longer than other states, or spiking up again during September or winter months and having to shut down.

It just seems scary to think that they could be right about this and that there is no NFL season either. Sad

But, if that's the case, then me and my brother were debating back and forth about next year's draft possibilities.

If the NFL owners do come to agreement that the same Draft order would happen, and if Lawrence declares for the Draft w/o playing another down in College Football, what do the Bengals do with that "Extra" #1 Pick????? LoL

My Bro said to Draft Lawrence, have Burrow and him fight it out for the starter role, and then trade the loser of the battle for pick/s from best offer.

I just thought to trade the #1 pick right off the bat for a boat load of picks from any Several Teams begging to get into that #1 Spot and then Bengals just take the Tackle, Sewell from Oregon, or Ja Mar Chase to team up with his old partner in crime Burrow.
There would be several teams in that running. And, I'd imagine the Bengals would trade that pick away to an NFC team as to not compete against Lawrence until they'd hopefully meet in a SB some day. Lol
But, several teams such as NE, JAX, Tenn, Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Washington, etc....would all possibly be interested and competing for the best offer to Bengals.

It would be the most exciting thing to be in the Bengals shoes at that point though right?

I didn't at first agree with my Bro about the prospects of just taking Lawrence as well.
But, boy, it sure would be an unbelievable thing to have Burrow AND Lawrence on the same team; Although, it wouldn't be fair to the one who'd lose the starting job.
Still, say if Burrow were to win the job, they could also add RPO packages in with Lawrence at times throughout the game as well.
It sure would be an interesting dynamic/problem to have if you're the Bengals coaching staff at that point.

What's your hypothetical thoughts about taking Lawrence as well or not?
Reply/Quote
I may be alone on this, but I'd still keep Burrow even if we were drafting #1 again in 2021. I'm by no means a football expert, but I get a much better feel for Burrow than I do for Lawrence.

In a scenario where we are picking #1 again, I trade the pick. There's obvious concern that it will have been over a year since anybody played football (college and professional alike), but talk about getting stacked ahead of the 2021 season.

More likely though, there would be a lottery draw for the 2021 draft if the 2020 CFB and NFL seasons were cancelled.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 04:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I may be alone on this, but I'd still keep Burrow even if we were drafting #1 again in 2021.  I'm by no means a football expert, but I get a much better feel for Burrow than I do for Lawrence.  

In a scenario where we are picking #1 again, I trade the pick.  There's obvious concern that it will have been over a year since anybody played football (college and professional alike), but talk about getting stacked ahead of the 2021 season.

More likely though, there would be a lottery draw for the 2021 draft if the 2020 CFB and NFL seasons were cancelled.

I'm curious as how the Lottery draw would work then?
Reply/Quote
We will be drafting in the top 10 again maybe top 5
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 10:47 PM)seahawkscheat Wrote: We will be drafting in the top 10 again maybe top 5

Why would it be Top 5 or 10? We would still be Drafting #1 wouldn't we?
Reply/Quote
Here's how the supplemental draft lottery is done and I would assume that this would work the same way:

Teams with six wins or fewer participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

So, at worst we would be picking 10th overall.  I would think with the weighted system that the odds of us getting a top 3 pick would be very strong.  If that's the case, you take Sewell and don't look back.
Reply/Quote
If we get the first pick trade it and get a ton of talent in return.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 03:31 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Here's how the supplemental draft lottery is done and I would assume that this would work the same way:

Teams with six wins or fewer participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

So, at worst we would be picking 10th overall.  I would think with the weighted system that the odds of us getting a top 3 pick would be very strong.  If that's the case, you take Sewell and don't look back.

Thanks for that information Hammerstripes!

That isn't what has obviously been voted on by the owners or anything yet; but, that is the system which would make the most sense to me for sure.

If they would get Lucky to get Top 3, I'd actually hope their choice would be Chase instead. But they couldn't go wrong with either pick IMO and I wouldn't be suicidal if they did take Sewell or anything....Lol ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 09:03 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Thanks for that information Hammerstripes!

That isn't what has obviously been voted on by the owners or anything yet; but, that is the system which would make the most sense to me for sure.

If they would get Lucky to get Top 3, I'd actually hope their choice would be Chase instead. But they couldn't go wrong with either pick IMO and I wouldn't be suicidal if they did take Sewell or anything....Lol  ThumbsUp

No way.  Chase looks like a great WR, but Sewell is probably the top ranked LT to come out in years.  I don't think you can pass that up.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 12:58 AM)J24 Wrote: If we get the first pick trade it and get a ton of talent in return.

I would jump and take Sewell, he is being talked about in the level as Burrow as  a QB.. He might be the most dominant Tackle in decades coming out of college
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 04:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would jump and take Sewell, he is being talked about in the level as Burrow as  a QB.. He might be the most dominant Tackle in decades coming out of college

And as I may agree with you again about Sewell, Chase has been better than all (30) high end WR's this year, and the other (6) WR's that will be taken besides him in the 1st Round next year. He's heads and above ALL OF THEM, with the added benefit of having great Rapport with Burrow already.

So, it's not as clear as you guys make it seem to be; it's actually very muddy, b/c of the relationship that Burrow already has with Chase.
You can't discount 84 Receptions, 1,800 yds for 21+ Avg, and 20 TDs that they accomplished together.

With that being said, if the Bengals were to still keep all of their WR's including Ross and AJ on the roster next year, I wouldn't see the need to draft him.
But, I don't see the Bengals keeping either one unfortunately.

So, there will be a big void there and they'd have the opportunity to have Higgins/Chase/Boyd as their Top 3 WR's going into their bright future. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2020, 01:05 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: And as I may agree with you again about Sewell, Chase has been better than all (30) high end WR's this year, and the other (6) WR's that will be taken besides him in the 1st Round next year. He's heads and above ALL OF THEM, with the added benefit of having great Rapport with Burrow already.

So, it's not as clear as you guys make it seem to be; it's actually very muddy, b/c of the relationship that Burrow already has with Chase.
You can't discount 84 Receptions, 1,800 yds for 21+ Avg, and 20 TDs that they accomplished together.

With that being said, if the Bengals were to still keep all of their WR's including Ross and AJ on the roster next year, I wouldn't see the need to draft him.
But, I don't see the Bengals keeping either one unfortunately.

So, there will be a big void there and they'd have the opportunity to have Higgins/Chase/Boyd as their Top 3 WR's going into their bright future. ThumbsUp

Not quite sure that I agree with you on that one.  I think he's right in the same boat as those other guys.  There are quite a few people that describe him as not being an incredible athlete, so his testing scores could be very average for a top tier WR.  That being said, if for some reason we are drafting in the top 10 again next year and he's on the board and Sewell is gone, I'd take him.

I just don't think you can pass on a generational left tackle.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 03:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No way.  Chase looks like a great WR, but Sewell is probably the top ranked LT to come out in years.  I don't think you can pass that up.

Yeah Sewell is a Madden creation like fit into Cincy's roster.  A lottery is more likely in the scenario, but if they used the same picks I think the Redskins would pony up from #2 to take Lawrence and you STILL get another 3rd, 5th and 2021 3rd on top of Sewell.  
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2020, 12:19 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah Sewell is a Madden creation like fit into Cincy's roster.  A lottery is more likely in the scenario, but if they used the same picks I think the Redskins would pony up from #2 to take Lawrence and you STILL get another 3rd, 5th and 2021 3rd on top of Sewell.  

IF we had the #1 overall pick, you definitely trade with the highest bidder.  That would be a boatload of picks.

Give up a couple to get back up to get Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 04:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I may be alone on this, but I'd still keep Burrow even if we were drafting #1 again in 2021.  I'm by no means a football expert, but I get a much better feel for Burrow than I do for Lawrence.  

Same here. I am not a huge fan of Lawrence. I have a better gut feeling about Burrow.  :andy:
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote