Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason 2 games from 4
(07-02-2020, 12:35 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Seems to work just fine without any preseason games in college.

They don’t play preseason but Alabama will play ‘small town tech community college’ which is essentially the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 03:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They don’t play preseason but Alabama will play ‘small town tech community college’ which is essentially the same thing.

They do?

If you're referring to the fact that every FBS team plays an FCS or Div. II team, that can happen either in the first 3 weeks or in the third-last or penultimate week.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 02:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't think so. But what does that have to do with anything?

Kijana Carter suffered the injury that ruined his career in a preseason game in Detroit his rookie season.

Then in 2007 in a preseason game in Detroit our rookie second round pick, RB Kenny Irons, suffered an injury so severe he never played again.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 04:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They do?

If you're referring to the fact that every FBS team plays an FCS or Div. II team, that can happen either in the first 3 weeks or in the third-last or penultimate week.

You got me there, my NCAAF knowledge is bad, I thought it was week 1 or nothing.. But hey the last two national championship winners started their seasons that way.

Clemson opened 2018 against Furman
LSU opened 2019 against GA southern

This isn’t the norm to your point though.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kijana Carter suffered the injury that ruined his career in a preseason game in Detroit his rookie season.

Then in 2007 in a preseason game in Detroit our rookie second round pick, RB Kenny Irons, suffered an injury so severe he never played again.

Klingler had his jaw broken in the same game Carter blew out his knee
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 10:05 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Klingler had his jaw broken in the same game Carter blew out his knee

Suh tried to decapitate Andy Dalton in his first preseason game in Detroit as well... Ginger Tarzan wouldn't be deterred or broken though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 02:30 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Nothing....Just ask Ki-jana Carter. Ninja

....and Kenny Irons....
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 12:35 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Seems to work just fine without any preseason games in college.

College teams are in a slightly different situation because they have almost 100 players.  The first team offense alwasy has a scout team of 3rd/4th string defenders to beat on relentlessly.  So they can get tons of reps without wearing out the 1st/2nd string defeners.  In the NFL the scout team includes key back ups and situational starters.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2020, 10:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: College teams are in a slightly different situation because they have almost 100 players.  The first team offense alwasy has a scout team of 3rd/4th string defenders to beat on relentlessly.  So they can get tons of reps without wearing out the 1st/2nd string defeners.  In the NFL the scout team includes key back ups and situational starters.

They also don't have the full pad practice limitations of the NFL. As you said, bigger roster as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Downside of not having the games - teams with especially new players (e.g. QB, OL, LB) have the disadvantage of having the time to build needed chemistry and get physical reps to build technique in the context of the team's specific scheme. UDFA's don't get the change to earn a roster spot. The team doesn't get the chance to truly evaluate UDFAs. Coaches don't get to tweak their scheme relative to newer players before the season starts. Teams with well established players and position groups have a distinct advantage. Players that are new or coming off injuries or failed careers don't get the necessary reps necessary to build technique

Upside: less risk of injury. Less physical attrition added to the season.

For me do the games. More upside than downside
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2020, 08:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If they do play, this will bad news for us and Burrow in my opinion. I understand why they are doing it, but could hurt teams in any type of transition like us, teams with new HC and maybe even Brady and TB. Of course Brady should be able to overcome it quicker than a rookie QB.

Thoughts as they redo schedule as playing weeks 2 and 3, so have to reshuffle so each team gets 1 home and 1 away game.

Lol does Brady play pre season at all?  Like ever?  Brady doesn't need no stinking pre season.
Reply/Quote
And the NFLPA has voted to recommend there be no preseason games this year.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/7/3/21312750/nflpa-nfl-preseason-games-2020-bengals?fbclid=IwAR10Aa8CRfcAsKFhG8tbbyCV5_lf61jwqNAwQncsOAyD2g62qcA9jVOzXNk
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 02:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: No I’d rather just have 4 games lol that’s my point.

If there are only two you are going to let your starters play. Losing the two games hurts the scrubs was what I was getting at.

I agree I would like to keep the 4 preseason games as well. I really want to see the roster expand so we can carry more players so injuries do not hurt your team as much.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 09:02 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Evaluating those 3rd stringers and UDFAs takes time and game situations are valuable learning experiences. Marvin used to be very adamant about the necessity for those snaps and I’ll take his word on that over our opinions.

Also, I personally enjoy watching scrub ball. That’s where guys like Margus Hunt and Dolegalalalala make a name for themselves lol

I like Dolegala the head scratcher is Finley not real sure why ZT liked him enough to draft him his arm is just weak. But ZT also drafted  Drew Sample good blocker but unproven as a pass catcher so could of got him a few rounds later in the draft IMO.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 09:09 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I like Dolegala the head scratcher is Finley not real sure why ZT liked him enough to draft him his arm is just weak. But ZT also drafted  Drew Sample good blocker but unproven as a pass catcher so could of got him a few rounds later in the draft IMO.

Finley can be an asset in the QB room due to his mind. He’s a smart QB, just doesn’t have the tools. He could develop them but it’s doubtful. I’ve made the comparison before but check out how Kellen Moore’s career in Dallas went. Great college QB who didn’t have the tools for the NFL... now he’s running their #1 ranked offense (as the OC)..
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2020, 03:43 PM)motoarch Wrote: Lol does Brady play pre season at all?  Like ever?  Brady doesn't need no stinking pre season.

In the past 10 years? No, as he already has a ridiculous number of reps in the same system, and the backup needs to be prepared in the event of an emergency.

In TB, it is a new system and he will need the reps, and you will see him take the field if there is a preseason.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2020, 10:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I ain't even gonna say it.

Significant shrinkage, like a frightened turtle....
Reply/Quote