No - If it isn't broke no need to fix
44.00%
11 44.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Preseason Approach
(05-12-2023, 04:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody keeps saying this......  except the players and the coaches, who say they get very little benefit out of pre-season snaps and get the most work in practices. While I'm not an NFL lineman, nor do I pretend to be, I assume they are the one's who actually know. If they really don't get anything out of it like they say, then I see no reason to risk losing them to injury in a meaningless preseason game.

Well in all fairness NFL players probably would not practice at all if it were up to them. Look at how restricted it has become just over the last 10 years. Playing live game snaps will always be better than practice reps for truly honing skills. Practice situations are extremely controlled and predictable to a large point as well as being intimately familiar with the players you are going against. Live game snaps will always offer a level of uncertainty that you can't be duplicated in practice.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 09:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In some years, I would agree with your statement.  In this particular year, I'm going to say that with the interior OL being consistent, and the Tackles being changed, yes they need some preseason reps, but not as much as you might think.  Defensively, I say that all the younger/newer players will get tons of reps, as they need the continuity and communication.

Not a lot of snaps, just some. We didn't have any snaps for the starting OL in Preseason last year and I think most of us saw that 
was a mistake with how they played early in the regular season. We have new OT's in Orlando Brown and whoever wins the RT job
and new Safeties on Defense starting in Dax Hill and Nick Scott. These guys need some snaps in Preseason or we could find ourselves
in the same spot especially playing the Stains in queefland and playing the best team in our division the following week...
Reply/Quote
There's no perfect answer. You might send player "A" out there in preseason and he gets hurt on the first snap. And then again like last season it might become obvious very early some more preseason reps might have helped?

About all you can do is try and be as smart as possible about how many reps vs. risk you want to take. I'd have the starting Oline get a couple or three series under their belt. I'd have to rookie and younger defense out there, a lot.

I'd have Joe Burrow and most of the vet starters out there just a smidge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2023, 03:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's no perfect answer. You might send player "A" out there in preseason and he gets hurt on the first snap. And then again like last season it might become obvious very early some more preseason reps might have helped?

About all you can do is try and be as smart as possible about how many reps vs. risk you want to take. I'd have the starting Oline get a couple or three series under their belt. I'd have to rookie and younger defense out there, a lot.

I'd have Joe Burrow and most of the vet starters out there just a smidge.

It is a fine line. But for new players to not have any snaps in the Preseason I think is a mistake as we saw last year early.
Reply/Quote