Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Game #1 Observations
Just a few minor observations from my first time viewing the game: Things that really stuck out to me.

Jordan Evans may not always know where to be, but he sure as hell gets there in a hurry. Dude is fast and aggressive. There was a short yardage rush attempt that Evans nailed the RB at the LOS and knocked him backwards. I see a lot of potential here and hope he gets a ton of snaps in the rest of the preseason.

Jordan Willis provided excellent pressure from both sides. He has a punch while on the move that just blows up guys. This guy should be starting. I loved when he was on the RDE spot and Lawson blitzed outside of him. It wasn't blocked at all. They never got a sack, but the QB got rid of it in a hurry and didn't complete anything.

Chris Smith was also impressive. When he nearly had a sack, but the QB shovel-passed it, he let go of the QB and as soon as the RB paused to make a move on a LB, he smoked him from behind into the waiting LB. Awesome energy.

TJ Johnson might be a better center than Bodine, who, in all fairness, played well also. TJ had a play where he threw aside a DT, and ran upfield and mauled a safety. I bet he gets some high fives in the film room on that one.

I haven't gone through the O-line play-by-play and position-by-position, but overall that first team line opened holes for the RB consistently. I was watching Ced Ogbeuhi more than anyone else and although he got dusted on an inside move on a pass play, I thought i saw him run block very well and even had a couple combination blocks that he executed well. I would give him a B-, which is a HUGE improvement over a year ago. If this team can run the ball, look out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll just copy and paste mine from an earlier thread:

My takeaways.....

The o line has a ways to go...but they sure looked improved.  I'm breathing a little easier now.

Hill looked good last night....I think the improvement up front helps that...but he also ran with purpose and decisively.  Mixon looked good....so if Hill can maintain...plus Gio....this run game can be scary good.

Saw more H back....love it.

Lawson is indeed a handful.

Willis looked good too.  In fact....this d line only has one problem...who do you cut? Damn....that Smith kid didn't look too bad either.

Driskel is a baller. Dude played at LaTech....home of the run and gun.  If we pass on a 2nd rounder for #5....we truly are stupid.  Driskel looks to be just as serviceable with most likely a better arm.  Plus....the run aspect of his game. Color me impressed as a backup.

Cut Peerman....keep Tra Carson. Enough said.

Offense looked like it had more identity and direction even though it was just preseason. All three units looked pretty good....minus some bad blocking here and there with the 3rds...as to be expected.

We still can't cover the middle of the field. It was there all night. Holes in pass coverage there....and lots of space for the run game there. We gotta clean that up.

Billings gets good push.

Overall...a good effort....and a shit ton better than what we saw from this squad against Tampa a few years ago. Looks like the focus is here day 1.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Good observations both of you. I'm excited to see how the rest of preseason goes. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'll just copy and paste mine from an earlier thread:

My takeaways.....

The o line has a ways to go...but they sure looked improved.  I'm breathing a little easier now.

Hill looked good last night....I think the improvement up front helps that...but he also ran with purpose and decisively.  Mixon looked good....so if Hill can maintain...plus Gio....this run game can be scary good.

Willis looked good too.  In fact....this d line only has one problem...who do you cut? Damn....that Smith kid didn't look too bad either.

Driskel is a baller. Dude played at LaTech....home of the run and gun.  If we pass on a 2nd rounder for #5....we truly are stupid.  Driskel looks to be just as serviceable with most likely a better arm.  Plus....the run aspect of his game. Color me impressed as a backup.

Offense looked like it had more identity and direction even though it was just preseason. All three units looked pretty good....minus some bad blocking here and there with the 3rds...as to be expected.

We still can't cover the middle of the field. It was there all night. Holes in pass coverage there....and lots of space for the run game there. We gotta clean that up.

Billings gets good push.

Overall...a good effort....and a shit ton better than what we saw from this squad against Tampa a few years ago. Looks like the focus is here day 1.

I agree with most of this. I saw Lawson was rated high and they know 100% more than me, but I saw the LT stuff Lawson (right in my area where I was seated), not once, but twice throwing him to the ground. His strength on those plays was not impressive, but it was their 1st string LT.

The  jury is still out on our OL, but Hopkins looked good, Boling looked good, Bodine looked good (sorry haters of Bodine) and Fisher looked good as well. Ced missed a few blocks, but overall he looked better (I know he sucked in 2016) showing improvement with power (no one powered him backwards into the QB like a year ago) and his run blocking was strong at the point of attack, but did whiff on one run block too.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with most of this. I saw Lawson was rated high and they know 100% more than me, but I saw the LT stuff Lawson (right in my area where I was seated), not once, but twice throwing him to the ground. His strength on those plays was not impressive, but it was their 1st string LT.

The  jury is still out on our OL, but Hopkins looked good, Boling looked good, Bodine looked good (sorry haters of Bodine) and Fisher looked good as well. Ced missed a few blocks, but overall he looked better (I know he sucked in 2016) showing improvement with power (no one powered him backwards into the QB like a year ago) and his run blocking was strong at the point of attack, but did whiff on one run block too.

Yeah, when I say Lawson is a handful.....I was looking at his speed.  He just seemed awfully quick out there to me.  I also saw the plays you referred to.  He'll need to work on his technique some, and get bigger, but man.....seems to me the potential is there.

I didn't notice Bodine.....and that is a good thing. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'll just copy and paste mine from an earlier thread:

My takeaways.....

Billings gets good push.

Sorry I missed the earlier thread...I've been buried the past few days (couldn't even go to the game).  

Good takes.

If we are honest with ourselves, we cut MJ and Dingleberry.

Driskel actually started at Florida and lost his job when he got injured, if memory serves, but finished at LT.  I always liked him, too, and he has some crazy athleticism.  I don't know if I would let McCarron go for a second, though.  Another QB is bound to go down and then maybe you get a King's Ransom.  

I like Tra Carson a lot, but wonder about special teams....Peerman just seems to be so good in his role there...not sure I would risk the drop off on ST.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with most of this. I saw Lawson was rated high and they know 100% more than me, but I saw the LT stuff Lawson (right in my area where I was seated), not once, but twice throwing him to the ground. His strength on those plays was not impressive, but it was their 1st string LT.

Lawson reminds me of a Jason Taylor...more quick than straight up powerful.  Willis, on the other hand, has great get-off (from either side, and that can't be discounted of its importance) and also a powerful bull-rush.  

I still have no idea how he slipped to the third and think he will have a bigger impact here than Myles Garrett at Cleveland.  
Reply/Quote
Great stuff guys.

Need to start Billings for sure along with either Chris Smith or Willis opposite Dunlap.

Sims and MJ should be on the outside looking in after that showing. Gilberry too.

Really liked how the O-line run blocked. Hopkins is not just hype fellas, thank God.

Boling was the better Guard to keep over Zeitler dudes. Love Boling, very underrated.

Bodine looked good too as you all say and so did the Fish. Og is better, much stronger.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sorry I missed the earlier thread...I've been buried the past few days (couldn't even go to the game).  

Good takes.

If we are honest with ourselves, we cut MJ and Dingleberry.

Driskel actually started at Florida and lost his job when he got injured, if memory serves, but finished at LT.  I always liked him, too, and he has some crazy athleticism.  I don't know if I would let McCarron go for a second, though.  Another QB is bound to go down and then maybe you get a King's Ransom.  

I like Tra Carson a lot, but wonder about special teams....Peerman just seems to be so good in his role there...not sure I would risk the drop off on ST.  

Yes, I remember Driskel from UF, but I alluded to LaTech because of the amount of throwing they do.  I remember most all UF and UofM players being a FSU homer.  Wink

Well, Tra filled in Peerman's spots in STs, and even brought a KO out of the endzone.  I still keep him.  He looked good enough there to me, plus he is a much better runner out of the backfield.  Seems logical to me.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to start Billings for sure along with either Chris Smith or Willis opposite Dunlap.

Sims and MJ should be on the outside looking in after that showing. Gilberry too.

I am absolutely loving the idea of:

Dunlap - Geno - Billings - Willis

only to be rotated with:

Clarke - Hardison - Glasgow - Smith

They can have so much variation with the design of the front four, but the real key is to keep running out fresh bodies.  You can put Willis at LDE.  You can put Lawson at RDE, but I think his real value is outside blitz from the right side.  He and Willis were owning the right side last night when they were out there together.  They didn't get sacks, but they got a shit-ton of pressure.  (#1 and #2 in PFF, respectively).  

I don't want Geno or Dunlap playing 95% of the snaps like it is some badge of honor then being flatter than pancakes come the post season.  Keep them fresh, keep them breathing fire, and watch QBs get pummeled.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, Tra filled in Peerman's spots in STs, and even brought a KO out of the endzone.  I still keep him.  He looked good enough there to me, plus he is a much better runner out of the backfield.  Seems logical to me.

I get it.  Plus, the team is "going younger" and the competition in the backfield will only further help the team.  Peerman is a great guy, but if he can't be a legitimate RB other than ST, it is tough to keep Carson off the squad.  What's worse is he might end up a steeler if we don't carry him.  
Reply/Quote
I have heard Driskel has been the second best QB all camp from multiple analysts and the game didn't show me anything to dispute that. If you get an offer for AJ you move him and get something for him. We have a roster situation brewing as AJ is gone after this year and if we move Driskel to PS he will get taken and there goes our back up of the future. This all mean we have to carry 3 QB's , which could end up being an issue. If we carry 3 QB's we have to go lite somewhere else and we are already going to have some tough cuts at a couple positions.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am absolutely loving the idea of:

Dunlap - Geno - Billings - Willis

only to be rotated with:

Clarke - Hardison - Glasgow - Smith

They can have so much variation with the design of the front four, but the real key is to keep running out fresh bodies.  You can put Willis at LDE.  You can put Lawson at RDE, but I think his real value is outside blitz from the right side.  He and Willis were owning the right side last night when they were out there together.  They didn't get sacks, but they got a shit-ton of pressure.  (#1 and #2 in PFF, respectively).  

I don't want Geno or Dunlap playing 95% of the snaps like it is some badge of honor then being flatter than pancakes come the post season.  Keep them fresh, keep them breathing fire, and watch QBs get pummeled.  

Awesome.

One question, how did Hardison and Glasgow look?

Have always liked DeShawn and Tapou sure is a big mutha, just wish he could rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have heard Driskel has been the second best QB all camp from multiple analysts and the game didn't show me anything to dispute that. If you get an offer for AJ you move him and get something for him. We have a roster situation brewing as AJ is gone after this year and if we move Driskel to PS he will get taken and there goes our back up of the future. This all mean we have to carry 3 QB's , which could end up being an issue. If we carry 3 QB's we have to go lite somewhere else and we are already going to have some tough cuts at a couple positions.

Completely agree, needed to see something from Driskell to trade McCarron.

We have, dude is good, maybe better than McCarron. Gets the ball out faster and is ten times the runner.

Looked like Mike Vick out there faking those Buc defenders out and making them run into eachother.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, needed to see something from Driskell to trade McCarron.

We have, dude is good, maybe better than McCarron. Gets the ball out faster and is ten times the runner.

Looked like Mike Vick out there faking those Buc defenders out and making them run into eachother.

I don't know that he is better, still up for debate, but I think he is close enough that you can move him and feel good. They liked Driskel a lot last year which is why we carried him on our roster all year. I just don't see how we can carry 3 QBs again this year with some of the battles, specifically at WR and CB.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't know that he is better, still up for debate, but I think he is close enough that you can move him and feel good. They liked Driskel a lot last year which is why we carried him on our roster all year. I just don't see how we can carry 3 QBs again this year with some of the battles, specifically at WR and CB.

Yeah it was only one preseason game but still.

Was impressive. Best Preseason game i have seen from a backup QB in like forever.

Better than McCarron's IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have heard Driskel has been the second best QB all camp from multiple analysts and the game didn't show me anything to dispute that. If you get an offer for AJ you move him and get something for him. We have a roster situation brewing as AJ is gone after this year and if we move Driskel to PS he will get taken and there goes our back up of the future. This all mean we have to carry 3 QB's , which could end up being an issue. If we carry 3 QB's we have to go lite somewhere else and we are already going to have some tough cuts at a couple positions.

From what I've read, the CBA is unlikely to grant AJ McCarron a year credited towards his rookie year...so he should be back next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get it.  Plus, the team is "going younger" and the competition in the backfield will only further help the team.  Peerman is a great guy, but if he can't be a legitimate RB other than ST, it is tough to keep Carson off the squad.  What's worse is he might end up a steeler if we don't carry him.  

Yes sir.

Reply/Quote
You guys might be right and it finally may be time to move on from Peerman.

Great ST'er but you have to do what is best for the team and Carson is a better RB and can play ST's.

And we have Brandon Wilson for the future ST's stud.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't know that he is better, still up for debate, but I think he is close enough that you can move him and feel good. They liked Driskel a lot last year which is why we carried him on our roster all year. I just don't see how we can carry 3 QBs again this year with some of the battles, specifically at WR and CB.

This.  So if you get a good offer on #5, you take it.

Reply/Quote