Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Game #1 Observations
(08-14-2017, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You guys might be right and it finally may be time to move on from Peerman.

Great ST'er but you have to do what is best for the team and Carson is a better RB and can play ST's.

And we have Brandon Wilson for the future ST's stud.

Carson sure made it look that way to me Friday night.  In addition, he'll come cheaper, won't he?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sorry I missed the earlier thread...I've been buried the past few days (couldn't even go to the game).  

Good takes.

If we are honest with ourselves, we cut MJ and Dingleberry.

Driskel actually started at Florida and lost his job when he got injured, if memory serves, but finished at LT.  I always liked him, too, and he has some crazy athleticism.  I don't know if I would let McCarron go for a second, though.  Another QB is bound to go down and then maybe you get a King's Ransom.  

I like Tra Carson a lot, but wonder about special teams....Peerman just seems to be so good in his role there...not sure I would risk the drop off on ST.  
Just a wild thought came to mind. Could Peerman be a Bengals  ST coach? Like I said just a thought that zipped through my head...
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have heard Driskel has been the second best QB all camp from multiple analysts and the game didn't show me anything to dispute that. If you get an offer for AJ you move him and get something for him. We have a roster situation brewing as AJ is gone after this year and if we move Driskel to PS he will get taken and there goes our back up of the future. This all mean we have to carry 3 QB's , which could end up being an issue. If we carry 3 QB's we have to go lite somewhere else and we are already going to have some tough cuts at a couple positions.

Take the trade for AJM! Go with Dalton and Driskel. If one get injured, there are a ton of wannabe QBs on the street (or in Cleveland).
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with most of this. I saw Lawson was rated high and they know 100% more than me, but I saw the LT stuff Lawson (right in my area where I was seated), not once, but twice throwing him to the ground. His strength on those plays was not impressive, but it was their 1st string LT.

The  jury is still out on our OL, but Hopkins looked good, Boling looked good, Bodine looked good (sorry haters of Bodine) and Fisher looked good as well. Ced missed a few blocks, but overall he looked better (I know he sucked in 2016) showing improvement with power (no one powered him backwards into the QB like a year ago) and his run blocking was strong at the point of attack, but did whiff on one run block too.

Their starting tackle (Donovan Smith) looked great.  He was tossing MJ around like he was a paper doll, had great feet and did not get fooled by spin moves.   Love to have him.

Bodine had one bad play where he got destroyed by the DLineman - but was pretty good the rest of his snaps.

Og got destroyed twice by Spense, but otherwise was really pretty good.  A big improvement.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great stuff guys.

Need to start Billings for sure along with either Chris Smith or Willis opposite Dunlap.

Sims and MJ should be on the outside looking in after that showing. Gilberry too.

Agree with this.    The guy who caught my eye - besides Willis and Smith - was Tupou.   The guy was wasting double teams, keeping his lane and making plays.   I really want him to make the 53.  He was just flat out overwhelming and very quick for his size.  Would get solid push on a double team and reach out his paw and disrupt that play.   He's one to watch.

Willis and Smith were amazing.   Sims, MJ and Gilberry need to be replaced.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lawson reminds me of a Jason Taylor...more quick than straight up powerful.  Willis, on the other hand, has great get-off (from either side, and that can't be discounted of its importance) and also a powerful bull-rush.  

I still have no idea how he slipped to the third and think he will have a bigger impact here than Myles Garrett at Cleveland.  

I love Lawson, I was just trying to keep it real and not forget he is a rookie, a rookie with a ton of potential.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Carson sure made it look that way to me Friday night.  In addition, he'll come cheaper, won't he?

He did and he would. Liked Tra Carson in college man and this year he lost a lot of weight and is faster.

To 3wt, since i couldn't quote you - didn't get to watch the game, just the highlights. Great stuff on Tapou i wanted to hear
this stuff. Was hoping he wasn't just another Peko. If this guy can have some pass rush we should keep him as Billings backup.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome.

One question, how did Hardison and Glasgow look?

Have always liked DeShawn and Tapou sure is a big mutha, just wish he could rush the passer.

Hardison looked pretty good, very active.  Glasgow didn't look that impressive to me in terms of push against second teamers but I guess he graded out pretty well. 

Tapou made an incredible play with a double team, almost on his knees, where he stuck his big paw out and brought down the RB.  To be fair, the RB kind of ran in to it and went down easy, but it was impressive how he fought off the double team.  I didn't focus in on DeShawn much, but nothing stood out good or bad.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:22 PM)Derrick Wrote: Just a wild thought came to mind. Could Peerman be a Bengals  ST coach? Like I said just a thought that zipped through my head...

Is he married to Marv's daughter or something like that?  We have a great ST coach already, but assistant?  Hell, yes. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From what I've read, the CBA is unlikely to grant AJ McCarron a year credited towards his rookie year...so he should be back next year.

That would actually be awesome news for the Bengals.  He either stays for next to nothing and they could trade Driskoll for a pick or he is traded because he now would have two years for someone at dirt cheap prices.  Too bad this information wasn't out earlier as I think it would have been an ideal situation for Miami.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You guys might be right and it finally may be time to move on from Peerman.

Great ST'er but you have to do what is best for the team and Carson is a better RB and can play ST's.

And we have Brandon Wilson for the future ST's stud.

Agree,

And Carson brings much more to the table on offense than Peerman can at this point. Carson can actually take a few snaps at RB and probably be somewhat serviceable if any of the 3 headed monsters fail.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 07:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hardison looked pretty good, very active.  Glasgow didn't look that impressive to me in terms of push against second teamers but I guess he graded out pretty well. 

Tapou made an incredible play with a double team, almost on his knees, where he stuck his big paw out and brought down the RB.  To be fair, the RB kind of ran in to it and went down easy, but it was impressive how he fought off the double team.  I didn't focus in on DeShawn much, but nothing stood out good or bad.  

Good stuff, hope Hardison can finally stay healthy so we can see what we got in him. Liked him in college.

Really good pass rusher his final year.

(08-14-2017, 09:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

And Carson brings much more to the table on offense than Peerman can at this point. Carson can actually take a few snaps at RB and probably be somewhat serviceable if any of the 3 headed monsters fail.

Definately and i like Peerman, but some day you have to move on to the future. Heard Carson got injured though.

Hope it is nothing serious.
Reply/Quote