Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Game 1 - Pick your 53
Yes, it's early, but it's still fun.

Here are my thoughts at each position, ranked in order of most likely to make it

QB: Dalton, McCarron 
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Peerman (Wilder & Watson to PS?)
WR: Green, Sanu, Jones, Tate, Alford, Little (I don't see Moore making it)
TE: Eifert, Hewitt, Kroft, Uzomah
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Winston, Fisher (Ogbuehi on PUP)
OG: Boling, Zeitler, Hopkins
C: Bodine, Johnson

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke
DT: Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Hardison, Sims (Williams has a shot here, think Still and Hunt are done)
LB: (Burfict on PUP), Maualuga, Lamur, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers (Nico just misses out. Carter is too small to play rush end and doesn't offer much at LB)
CB: Kirkpatrick, Jones, Dennard, Hall, Shaw, Hill
S: Nelson, Illoka, Williams, Smith (Keo looked poor)

ST: Huber, Nugent, Harris

Who do you have in your 53?
Reply/Quote
Good predictions. Rock On

They are going to have a hard time cutting the rookie DT from Clemson as you suggest.

Still is done and Hunt might also be done. Sometimes you miss on draft choices.

Unfortunately, someone on your list will be hurt during preseason.
Reply/Quote
I like Pat Sims to start. Wilder Jr. > Peerman. Four TE's is a bit over the top. My guess would be Uzumah would make the Practice Squad (perhaps that opens a spot for Peerman to stick)
Reply/Quote
QB: Dalton, McCarron
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Wilder, Hewitt
WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Little, Alford, Tate
TE: Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah
OL: Whitworth, Smith, Fisher, Winston, Zietler, Boling, Hopkins, Bodine, McDonald

DE: Dunlap, Johnson, Gilberry, Clarke, Hardison
DT: Atkins, Sims, Thompson, Williams
LB: Maualuga, Hawk, Lamur, Dawson, Rey, Flowers, Burfict to PUP
CB: Jones, Kirkpatrick, Hall, Dennard, Shaw, Hill
S: Nelson, Iloka, Williams, Smith

Perhaps the play of Sims and Williams forces them to make a decision on Peko before they had planned.
Reply/Quote
anybody think we might go light at wr with Rex and Gio able to fill in at the slot. Maybe make some room for Wilder who can play RB, FB, and a little HB? maybe leave Tate out let Alford take the kickoff duties

also eifert can slit out wide
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 07:04 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: QB: Dalton, McCarron 

DT: Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Hardison, Sims (Williams has a shot here, think Still and Hunt are done)
LB: (Burfict on PUP), Maualuga, Lamur, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers (Nico just misses out. Carter is too small to play rush end and doesn't offer much at LB)

This is basically exactly who I was going with. I think Wilder will replace Peerman and Burkhead takes his role though.

Really want Kumerow to push out Tate, but he'll have to step up more in the next weeks.
Reply/Quote
QB: Dalton, FA (Stanzi comes to mind)
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Peerman
WR: Green, Sanu, Jones, Tate, Alford, Moore

DT: Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Hardison, Sims
LB: (Burfict on PUP), Maualuga, Lamur, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Johnson
S: Nelson, Illoka, Williams, Smith

[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 07:04 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Yes, it's early, but it's still fun.

Here are my thoughts at each position, ranked in order of most likely to make it

You have in McCarron who has never played one single NFL snap in preseason or regular season since drafted in 2014.
The QB that played in the 4th quarter now has more experience than McCarron. .....I agree, it's all in fun, but I'm very glad they don't pick the regular season roster just yet.  Lets see what happens in preseason game 2. The starters will play most of the 1st half in preseason game 3 and most of the choices will be made by preseason game 4. ....Bring on preseason game 2, and if McCarron still has never played one NFL snap after it is over, I don't know how bench warming earns him a roster spot.  I'm not a fan of Johnson, but he has the experience to be the # 2 QB at this point, and the others don't. Unless that changes very fast, you have to go with Johnson. You can't make the club in the tub. As of today, we are very weak at back-up QB. All I read is this McCarron hype and the guy has never played a single NFL snap. You don't make the NFL on your college highlight clippings......That said, I hope he plays his first NFL game ever next week and does great, we could use a good back-up, but, he has to earn it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
QB: Dalton, McCarron (PS: Wenning)
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Peerman (PS: Wilder, Watson)
WR: Green, Sanu, Jones, Alford, Little, (PS: Kumerow)
TE: Eifert, Hewitt, Kroft, Uzomah (PS: Peters, Murphy)
C: Bodine, Johnson (PS: Jasperse)

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke, Hardison
DT: Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Sims, Williams
LB: Maualuga, Lamur, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers (Burfict on PUP) (PS: Roach)
S: Nelson, Illoka, Williams, Smith (PS: Dargan)

ST: Huber, Nugent, Harris (PS: Obarski)
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:00 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: QB: Dalton, McCarron (PS: Wenning)
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Peerman (PS: Wilder, Watson)
WR: Green, Sanu, Jones, Alford, Little, (PS: Kumerow)
TE: Eifert, Hewitt, Kroft, Uzomah (PS: Peters, Murphy)
C: Bodine, Johnson (PS: Jasperse)

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke, Hardison
DT: Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Sims, Williams
LB: Maualuga, Lamur, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers (Burfict on PUP) (PS: Roach)
S: Nelson, Illoka, Williams, Smith (PS: Dargan)

ST: Huber, Nugent, Harris (PS: Obarski)

This.  I like your projection of 10 defensive linemen.  Hardison and Williams both bring too much to risk to the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
I don't see how you can project McCarron to make the team when he isn't playing. If the basis is off what we saw in the first preseason game, you can't keep an injured guy around.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I don't see how you can project McCarron to make the team when he isn't playing. If the basis is off what we saw in the first preseason game, you can't keep an injured guy around.

McCarron is eventually going to have to be healthy enough to play or be IR-ed isn't he?  I think it mostly comes down to Josh Johnson being not-so-exciting, AJ being an "unknown" and Andy starting 16 games each season.  If McCarron isn't physically able to play a single snap (pre-season or not) in 2 seasons then, well...ouch.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I don't see how you can project McCarron to make the team when he isn't playing. If the basis is off what we saw in the first preseason game, you can't keep an injured guy around.

I base it off the fact Josh Johnson is just not #2 material in the NFL to me. I would like to see more of Wenning if McCarron can't play. However, as long as McCarron is healthy within the next two weeks then I think he locks up the #2 job based on what I saw yesterday.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote

To be honest, my projection is 60% who I'd pick and 40% who I think the team will pick anyway.

McCarron is a lock unless they can push him to IR imo.  That's also why I have Tate and AJ Hawk+Vinnie Rey in my side.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 11:24 PM)3wt Wrote: This.  I like your projection of 10 defensive linemen.  Hardison and Williams both bring too much to risk to the practice squad.

Dropping to 5 WRs would be one hell of a risk simply to find a spot for the unimpressive Sims.  However, if Sims isn't in the team what do you do on the DL?

NT: Peko (325), Thompson (305), Sims (340)
3T: Atkins (300), Williams (295), Hardison (315)
DE: Dunlap (280), Johnson (280), Clarke (291), Gilberry (270)

Hardison is basically the only body we have big enough to back up Peko on the nose but my understanding is that he projects as a 3T.  Hopefully we get to see him play inside a bit more in the next game.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 07:04 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Yes, it's early, but it's still fun.

RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Peerman,
WR: Green, Sanu, Jones, Tate, Alford, Little, Moore
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Winston, Fisher, O'Donnell
OG: Boling, Zeitler, Hopkins, Winston
C: Bodine, Johnson, Hopkins

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke, Hunt
LB: Maualuga, Lamur, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers

See changes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

WR: Green, Sanu, Jones, Tate, Alford, Little (I don't see Moore making it)Moore
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Winston, Fisher (Ogbuehi on PUP) O'Donnell
OG: Boling, Zeitler, Hopkins, Winston

DT: Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Hardison, Sims (Williams has a shot here, think Still and Hunt are done)Hunt
S: Nelson, Illoka, Williams, Smith (Keo looked poor) Keo (Smith to the PS)

I updated mine above.

I also think Hall could be on the bubble due to his high salary and his likely inability to cover WR's outside anymore due to his loss of speed
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 10:47 PM)kevin Wrote: You have in McCarron who has never played one single NFL snap in preseason or regular season since drafted in 2014.
The QB that played in the 4th quarter now has more experience than McCarron. .....I agree, it's all in fun, but I'm very glad they don't pick the regular season roster just yet.  Lets see what happens in preseason game 2. The starters will play most of the 1st half in preseason game 3 and most of the choices will be made by preseason game 4. ....Bring on preseason game 2, and if McCarron still has never played one NFL snap after it is over, I don't know how bench warming earns him a roster spot.  I'm not a fan of Johnson, but he has the experience to be the # 2 QB at this point, and the others don't.  Unless that changes very fast, you have to go with Johnson. You can't make the club in the tub. As of today, we are very weak at back-up QB. All I read is this McCarron hype and the guy has never played a single NFL snap. You don't make the NFL on your college highlight clippings......That said, I hope he plays his first NFL game ever next week and does great, we could use a good back-up, but, he has to earn it.

No way McCarron's going anywhere.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
QB: Dalton, Johnson
WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Tate, Alford, Moore
TE: Eifert, Hewitt, Kroft, Brock
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Winston, Fisher

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke, Carter
LB: Maualuga, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers, Johnson
CB: Kirkpatrick, Jones, Dennard, Hall, Shaw

Reply/Quote
QB: Dalton, Johnson

WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Tate, Alford, Moore
TE: Eifert, Hewitt, Kroft, Brock
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Winston, Fisher

DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke, Carter
LB: Maualuga, Dawson, Hawk, Rey, Flowers, Johnson
CB: Kirkpatrick, Jones, Dennard, Hall, Shaw

love this list......... but I think the light bulb finally has lit up for Greg Little..........he makes the squad............cut 1 from the list above

NFL teams will claim a lot of our cuts..............what a great problem for Pumpkin to have
Reply/Quote