Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Preseason Week 1) ***Bengals @ Chiefs - GameDay Thread***
(08-11-2019, 12:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. McVay also got to sign and trade for a bunch of talented players.

ZT got Webb, Wynn, Jerry, Miller, and guys like that.

Totally different commitments to winning from their owners.

True.  I just can't believe ZT came in here knowing nothing like some Dave Shula type, riding the coattails of somebody else.  I may come to that conclusion later, but right now I want to see more.  Added: And I'm sure he knew exactly what he was dealing with when he took a job from Mike Brown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. McVay also got to sign and trade for a bunch of talented players.

ZT got Webb, Wynn, Jerry, Miller, and guys like that.

Totally different commitments to winning from their owners.

Yep.  It's not that I don't have optimism for ZT, it's just that we haven't exactly done all the things other "young, offensive minded HC reboot" teams have done.  We didn't get an OC, we got a QB coach, we didn't get a vet DC to take his mind off that side of the ball, and we aren't using trades or FA's to fill in roster holes to give him a better team to work with.
Reply/Quote
I think I’ve seen one running play the entire second half. Where’s this offense that supposed to be all play-action, run the ball first?
Reply/Quote
Game 1 Recap

1st team offense looked great (but did have to overcome penalties and AD missed an easy TD) and overall AD looked great.

Finley showed some promise as did Malone (did have 1 bad drop) and Tate.

Major issues as lost line of scrimmage battle all night on defense and offense.

Our penalties, tackling and special teams turnovers will make you lose every time.

Overall, very disappointed in the defense, teams 1 to 4 all looked bad. There was no running game, run blocking was horrid.

Let's hope for better next week.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
And THAT was the perfect finish...Finley throws it right to the defender.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:16 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: When was the last time Bengals drafted a 4th round QB and cut him? It would very risky to try and get him to the PS, he was touted as a 2nd round pick by many. Many teams keep 3 Qb's anyway so likely we lose him if not on 53 man roster.

Driskel has to be the odd man out. If this Delgadadada however it's spelled kid is as good as many in here say, then I hope we don't see him much at all this pre season. He will just be auditioning for other teams to pluck him off the PS. Keep him a secret and place him on the PS. Or cut/PS Driskel and keep 3 on the roster. It's not like we're Deep at many positions this year.
Reply/Quote
Finley is a bum now...put in Doleygagla.
Reply/Quote
Right when we had appointed Finley as the new starter Tongue
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:20 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: True.  I just can't believe ZT came in here knowing nothing like some Dave Shula type, riding the coattails of somebody else.  I may come to that conclusion later, but right now I want to see more.  

It's hard to say. There were a bunch of more desireable openings than us and he didn't get a look by any of them.

I'd trust management of teams like the Packers ahead of the Bengals.

I doubt ZT knows nothing, but he was a mediocre OC at U of Cincy and Miami. At no stop other than the Rams do you say, Wow this guy had great performance.

Honestly, I wonder if we would have looked at him if he wasn't at the U of Cincy?
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:21 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think I’ve seen one running play the entire second half. Where’s this offense that supposed to be all play-action, run the ball first?

I'm sure when Mixon and Bernard are actually playing, that will happen.
Reply/Quote
And immediately after my post Finley throws a Int. I give up, who knows how it will play out.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep.  It's not that I don't have optimism for ZT, it's just that we haven't exactly done all the things other "young, offensive minded HC reboot" teams have done.  We didn't get an OC, we got a QB coach, we didn't get a vet DC to take his mind off that side of the ball, and we aren't using trades or FA's to fill in roster holes to give him a better team to work with.

And we had some $50 million in cap space. This was the year to make a few upgrades and win back the fanbase.

New HC. Let him sign some upgrades and show that things changed.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:23 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm sure when Mixon and Bernard are actually playing, that will happen.

When the OL gets zero push and got dominated in the run game all night? 
Reply/Quote
I have it dvrd. So from the looks of this thread I should probably just delete it, eh?
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Game 1 Recap

1st team offense looked great (but did have to overcome penalties and AD missed an easy TD) and overall AD looked great.

Finley showed some promise as did Malone (did have 1 bad drop) and Tate.

Major issues as lost line of scrimmage battle all night on defense and offense.

Our penalties, tackling and special teams turnovers will make you lose every time.

Overall, very disappointed in the defense, teams 1 to 4 all looked bad. There was no running game, run blocking was horrid.

Let's hope for better next week.

Sadly the things you pointed out mostly align with my assessment of the roster. I do think the defensive line will be better. But LB is weak. OLine is weak. We're not a good tackling team.
Reply/Quote
What a sloppy game. Defense looked weak and unmotivated. Offensive line looked like garbage. So many penalties, 2 muffed punts, 3 counting the one that hit off our own guys.. just sloppy. Taylor needs to tell these guys to get there head out of there asses next game.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:25 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I have it dvrd. So from the looks of this thread I should probably just delete it, eh?
Watch the opening drive then delete.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
It was ugly but not as bad as the score shows.

1st teams looked good despite having like 6 or 7 starters not playing.

Special teams blew 14 points on muffed punts.

Jerry had 2 holding calls. Sample had some calls, (the pick call was bullshit but whatever)

See what happens next week
Reply/Quote
And get rid of driskels sorry ass. He proved last year he doesnt have what it takes.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to say. There were a bunch of more desireable openings than us and he didn't get a look by any of them.

I'd trust management of teams like the Packers ahead of the Bengals.

I doubt ZT knows nothing, but he was a mediocre OC at U of Cincy and Miami. At no stop other than the Rams do you say, Wow this guy had great performance.

Honestly, I wonder if we would have looked at him if he wasn't at the U of Cincy?

I'm sure the Ohio connection appealed to MB.  And as you point out, there were a lot more desirable openings than us.  So we may not have had a ton of choices either.  But I like the fact that they picked a young, motivated coach, even if there is going to be a learning curve.   
Reply/Quote