Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(Preseason Week 2) ***Bengals @ Giants - GameDay Thread***
(08-21-2022, 11:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Biggest takeaways for me:

Dax is an absolute stud.

Chris Evans should be RB2.

Volson has at least shown enough to pull in front of Carman.

Our 3rd and 4th string DB’s should be selling buying insurance.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:17 PM)Joelist Wrote: Embarrassing end to an embarrassing game.

LOL

Ah the Game day threads.

Reply/Quote
Overall special teams and Dax hill looked good on a positive note.

Otherwise our backup oline looked like it needs work. Defensively we were okay.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:19 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Terrible play call on that last play—put the giants in a great position to make a play like that. Gotta throw it downfield and kick a field goal. Hopefully Zac learns from that one

Unfortunately, they were probably needed to get some yards for Shooter because of the false start.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LOL

Ah the Game day threads.

No, this should have been an easy win even for backups but the dbs got skunked non stop by the exact same pass play and let a practice squad qb strafe them. Some things looked okay but winning even in preseason is better than losing. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LOL

Ah the Game day threads.

I know he's smashed something during a Bengals game
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: No, this should have been an easy win even for backups but the dbs got skunked non stop by the exact same pass play and let a practice squad qb strafe them. Some things looked okay but winning even in preseason is better than losing. 

Bro those guys aren't even gonna be here
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Biggest takeaways for me:

Dax is an absolute stud.

Chris Evans should be RB2.

Volson has at least shown enough to pull in front of Carman.

Our 3rd and 4th string DB’s should be selling insurance.

All of these things are true and I would like to add:

Pray Hendrickson stays healthy because without him this teams pass rush is very suspect. I didn’t see much from Ossai tonight. Hopefully just feeling his way back into playing after being out so long.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: Unfortunately, they were probably needed to get some yards for Shooter because of the false start.  

A slow developing play like a screen was a bad play call with 9 seconds left. Not only does it drain time, it gives the giants a chance to win the game by making a single tackle. Gotta throw the ball downfield. It’s a bonehead call in a meaningless game, but one I hope Zac learns from.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:24 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: All of these things are true and I would like to add:

Pray Hendrickson stays healthy because without him this teams pass rush is very suspect. I didn’t see much from Ossai tonight. Hopefully just feeling his way back into playing after being out so long.

Did ossai even play? I swear I didn't notice him 1 time, I really didn't even know he was playing. 
Reply/Quote
Positives:

SOME of the line looked better
Patrick looked good
Pryor looked good
Dax Hill looked really good
Volson has likely solidified his lead

The bad:
Allen is trash
Adeniji was bad again
Schemes on both sides of the ball WAY too vanilla- how can you evaluate a player with plays this oversimplified?
Reserve dbs have an IQ of zero or less - getting fooled by the EXACT SAME PASS PLAY at least ten times in a row is pretty silly...
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:27 PM)Tony Wrote: Did ossai even play? I swear I didn't notice him 1 time, I really didn't even know he was playing. 

And that’s the problem

I saw #58 out there for at least the first defensive series.
Andrew Thomas is a good LT and it looked like he easily handled Ossai
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:34 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: And that’s the problem

I saw #58 out there for at least the first defensive series.
Andrew Thomas is a good LT and it looked like he easily handled Ossai

I wish I was joking about that, but I'm not..
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: Positives:

Schemes on both sides of the ball WAY too vanilla

It’s. Preseason. LOL

Reply/Quote
Ossai was never going to play much.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don’t expect to see a lot from Joseph Ossai tonight. He’s been getting a ton do work, including reps with the 1s, in practices. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bengals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bengals</a> want to be very smart with him <a href="https://t.co/dxBuIzA0CC">pic.twitter.com/dxBuIzA0CC</a></p>&mdash; Kelsey Conway (@KelseyLConway) <a href="https://twitter.com/KelseyLConway/status/1561479451434680322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 21, 2022</a></blockquote>

Reply/Quote
Dax is that guy. Him and Bates is gonna be fun for the year we’re getting it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Takeaways
1. Volson was a bright star on another subpar game by our backups
2. Evans gets kick return job, see more time on passing downs
3. Hill will play this year Even if bates signs
4. Morgan and Thomas are tough on specials Leaning towards both making team
5. Trent Taylor will play more as 4th WR
6. DE not much pressure in 1st half
7. Lassiter or Pryor, will come down to final pre season game to
make team if we keep 7.
8. Few backup qbs would be effective with this line vs starters
8. Johnson developing as a solid LB backup
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:23 PM)Tony Wrote: Bro those guys aren't even gonna be here

Truth. Delonte Hood is fast, but that is all he has it seems. Can't tackle, can't cover and won't be here.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ossai was never going to play much.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don’t expect to see a lot from Joseph Ossai tonight. He’s been getting a ton do work, including reps with the 1s, in practices. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bengals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bengals</a> want to be very smart with him <a href="https://t.co/dxBuIzA0CC">pic.twitter.com/dxBuIzA0CC</a></p>&mdash; Kelsey Conway (@KelseyLConway) <a href="https://twitter.com/KelseyLConway/status/1561479451434680322?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 21, 2022</a></blockquote>

Awesome, they know they have something special in Ossai....

Save him for the games that mean something. Mellow
Reply/Quote