Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Preseason Week 3) ***Bengals @ Redskins - GameDay Thread***
(08-27-2017, 08:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: Yup.. It certainly wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people will claim. 
I don't see world beaters out there, but still pretty good overall out of the gate.. 

Agree, I'm happy with what I saw tonight, we should be solid week 1. Ready for the season, and I think this is a team that will improve as the season progresses. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh well..game over. It were fun(ish) and now time for me to go work on finishing the router table I started building this morning.. Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Elliott will get picked up.  

It's not worth putting a KICKER on the practice squad.  No one is going to pick up an unproven rookie kicker (that made 75% of field goals thus far?), especially if he gets beat out in preseason.  That said, I bet he does get another chance to compete next year in camp with us or with another team.  Didn't Aguayo just get cut in Tampa, also?  I wonder how he's doing now that he signed with a new squad.

Whichever guy we keep, I hope they make EVERY kick they attempt.  And, wish the other nothing but success.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:23 PM)Shady Wrote: So. it's worth watching the replay? 

Sure, if that floats your boat.  It's nothing I'm going to spend the rest of my day arguing over. I have sawdust waiting to be created out in the shop! Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:21 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: 4th and goal with game on the line. Let's go with the lowest percentage pass play we can think of. Brilliant. (yes I realize it is preseason and Driskel).

Yup, piss poor play choice, hell #17 was open. I know it's pre season too and people will say we're whining, but damn, this OC is horrible.
Reply/Quote
Okay, I've had dinner and I can think clearly again. The first team defense was improved today against Washington but there are still two glaring areas of concern: (1) Defensive linemen not stuffing the run at the line and (2) lack of pass coverage across the middle and down the seams. Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy feasted on the Cincinnati secondary using those pass routes but the Bengals shut the Redskins' passing game down along the sidelines including the beautiful route-jumping interception by Vontaze Burfict. Improve these two areas and the Bengals will feature a shutdown defense...

...which they'll need because the offense is horrible. Yes, the first team offensive line played better today but the skill players aren't taking advantage of this.

Or...

...is Ken Zampese just a dweebhead who is employed above his pay grade?
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Or...

...is Ken Zampese just a dweebhead who is employed above his pay grade?

This. 

But to be fair, the refs gave the Skins every call and no-call. Just finished watching the 1st half, and their CBs got away with murder.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:16 PM)Shady Wrote: This. 

But to be fair, the refs gave the Skins every call and no-call. Just finished watching the 1st half, and their CBs got away with murder.

All true of course but the Bengals need to understand they need to beat the officials too, not just the opposing team. Cincinnati will never get favorable calls from the officials so I believe it needs to be part of the game plan. The officials can swing a game by as much as six points -- ten points if the Steelers are involved -- so Marvin Lewis better understand the Bengals need at least a ten point lead to feel confident about winning any given game.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:42 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Yup, piss poor play choice, hell #17 was open. I know it's pre season too and people will say we're whining, but damn, this OC is horrible.

you seem to know the OC must only send it one pass play with one route or maybe he checked into that route.. etc... but really it was a good call if the refs did not eat their whistle.. was clear pass interference not called... should have been 1st and goal...

Also you do understand that in a preseason game,, some plays are called for a specific reason like an evaluation of a player etc.. and why would we want to show something a bit different on tape before regular season..

To me a good way to think about it... is you are cooking steak for long time buddy one nite and the other nite for your boss.. I am guessing you are not going to dress the steak up as much for your long time friend but you sure are for your boss.. Teams don;t dress up their plays too much in preseason.. they wait till the regular season. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:35 PM)BoBengal Wrote: It's not worth putting a KICKER on the practice squad.  No one is going to pick up an unproven rookie kicker (that made 75% of field goals thus far?), especially if he gets beat out in preseason.  That said, I bet he does get another chance to compete next year in camp with us or with another team.  Didn't Aguayo just get cut in Tampa, also?  I wonder how he's doing now that he signed with a new squad.

Whichever guy we keep, I hope they make EVERY kick they attempt.  And, wish the other nothing but success.  

It's worth it because kickers aren't as static as you seem to think they are. Injuries, bad play...there will be turnover this year just like every year. If he's cut outright, he's free to sign anywhere he's needed. If he's plucked off the Bengals PS, he has to go on someone's roster. The Bengals invested a draft pick for him so there's a pretty good chance they want to keep him in the bank, in case he's needed in a pinch. 

Unless you like signing another retread that probably won't work out for the long run. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote