Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason matters?
So, I was just looking back at the Bengal's won/loss record and I found a somewhat interesting ... correlation (if you will). I only went back to 2011 when Dalton was drafted (combination of being on my work computer and laziness). However, I noticed that when we won 2 or more preseason games, we had a winning record in the regular season. Heck, even 1 of the times we only 1 game we still won 9 games in the regular season.

Now, I'll be the first to say that preseason doesn't matter when it comes to the regular season, but still ... looking at this and seeing that we've already won both preseason games we've played so far bodes well for our regular season.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 05:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So, I was just looking back at the Bengal's won/loss record and I found a somewhat interesting ... correlation (if you will). I only went back to 2011 when Dalton was drafted (combination of being on my work computer and laziness). However, I noticed that when we won 2 or more preseason games, we had a winning record in the regular season. Heck, even 1 of the times we only 1 game we still won 9 games in the regular season.

Now, I'll be the first to say that preseason doesn't matter when it comes to the regular season, but still ... looking at this and seeing that we've already won both preseason games we've played so far bodes well for our regular season.

Me reading this - 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10595488]

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I remember the 2010 preseason when we had T.O and the preseason was a disaster and everyone was saying "Its preseason and doesn't matter" or better yet "They dont want to show off their playbook and have great things in mind" As we know it was one of the biggest disappointing seasons in recent memory.

I think the preseason matters. Not if we win or lose but how this team performs with one another. How the 1st stringers do as a unit (OL, DL, etc..)
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 05:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember the 2010 preseason when we had T.O and the preseason was a disaster and everyone was saying "Its preseason and doesn't matter" or better yet "They dont want to show off their playbook and have great things in mind" As we know it was one of the biggest disappointing seasons in recent memory.

I think the preseason matters. Not if we win or lose but how this team performs with one another. How the 1st stringers do as a unit (OL, DL, etc..)

I aree with GodFather. It matters but not the winning part really.

The Browns won all 4 Preseason games last season and went winless in the regular.

The Patriots and Colts both had Preseasons where they went winless and won the Superbowl.

I just would like to see our Offensive Line get up to snuff and Dalton get some chemistry with his weapons not named Green.

Also, no significant injuries goes without saying.
Reply/Quote
All we need to do is get all of our opponents to play their first string in the first half only. They and we have to put in our 2nd team in the second half. No starting players can return to the field until overtime. If we can get them to agree to that, I think we have a shot at a ring. ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 05:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Now, I'll be the first to say that preseason doesn't matter when it comes to the regular season, but still ... looking at this and seeing that we've already won both preseason games we've played so far bodes well for our regular season.

Yes, technically the Bengals "won" both of those games.  But, as far as I'm concerned, the starting unit lost to Dallas' starting unit.  The final score is just a reflection of the Bengals having a decent bench, and the Cowboys not so much..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 05:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember the 2010 preseason when we had T.O and the preseason was a disaster and everyone was saying "Its preseason and doesn't matter" or better yet "They dont want to show off their playbook and have great things in mind" As we know it was one of the biggest disappointing seasons in recent memory.

I agree with this. Final score is not as important as how each unit looks.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 05:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So, I was just looking back at the Bengal's won/loss record and I found a somewhat interesting ... correlation (if you will). I only went back to 2011 when Dalton was drafted (combination of being on my work computer and laziness). However, I noticed that when we won 2 or more preseason games, we had a winning record in the regular season. Heck, even 1 of the times we only 1 game we still won 9 games in the regular season.

Pre season means nothing to any other team than the Bengals, when we suck in pre season we usually suck in regular season (except 2015), having said that we barely beat Chicago and got the brakes beat off us against Dallas in the first half soooo!!! Average season to below average ahead, cutting Iloka should help us on defense. Man I would feel better about things if we had of gotten rid of are common denominator in Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote