Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Preseason week 2) ***Cincinnati Bengals @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers*** (Game Day Thread)
I'm routing for Kumerow to show he can be a possession receiver and earn a spot on this team.
I'd like to see AJ McCarron actually do something on the field.
Hunt and/or Clarke need to step it up in this game. If Hunt doesn't play again I seriously don't see that he belongs on the team right now.

Defensively
I'm also looking for our secondary to have some INTs against Winston. The word down here in Tampa is that Winston is making a lot mistakes.

Offensively
Our offense only scored 14 points against a poor Bucs team last year, so I'm looking for a better showing from Dalton and the offense when they are in the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing a few positions groups.

Primarily, I want to see the rookie Dlinemen some more. I want to see if Williams and Hardison can continue their solid play. And, if we consider Clarke a redshirt rookie, I want to see if he can continue to pressure the QB from DE.

In addition, I want to see the young corners. Shaw and Hill were great in the first game. I want to see them continue that work.

Finally, I want to see us on special teams. So many back up linebackers and corners/safeties don't see the field very often except for injuries. Where they show their true value is on special teams. Last game, we gave up a pretty big kickoff return. I want to see Flowers, Johnson and Lamur on special teams. If they can't play on special teams, they won't serve much purpose for us.

I'm sure a lot of people are looking forward to McCarron as well, although I'm not really worried about him. Back up QBs are some of the most inconsequential players in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 01:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Preseason Game 3 is the game they stretch out the starters so they are ready for a full game at Oakland.  Preseason Game 4 is a lot of nothing. Preseason Game 2 is some of these back-up players last chances to avoid getting cut.  Who are you rooting for to step up and have a good game and make the team ??? What positions do you want improvement on  in 2015 ???

This would be incorrect.

This game serves as the dress rehearsal due to the way the pre-season schedule falls this year. This is the only week where they have the chance to go through a normal week of game planning and practice like they would during the regular season, so they are treating this game like they normally would the week 3 pre-season game.

Per Lapham.
Reply/Quote
I'm anxious to see many of the rookies/new guys out there. But above all else I want to see McCarron actually play an NFL snap !
Reply/Quote
McCarron

I've seen enough Josh Johnson! lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 03:01 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: This would be incorrect.

This game serves as the dress rehearsal due to the way the pre-season schedule falls this year. This is the only week where they have the chance to go through a normal week of game planning and practice like they would during the regular season, so they are treating this game like they normally would the week 3 pre-season game.

Per Lapham.

Really?

That's exciting.

Did Tampa get the memo?

Or are we just going to be playing our first stringers versus their second and third stringers after the first quarter?
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 05:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Really?

That's exciting.

Did Tampa get the memo?

Or are we just going to be playing our first stringers versus their second and third stringers after the first quarter?

Who knows? Teams never take the same approach. You just play against whoever they send out. Giants were playing their starters against our second and third teams last week.
Reply/Quote
Curious to see who shows up on special teams. And that is more than just the kick returner or punt returner. Last week Troy Hill made a pretty great tackle to stop a late return from gaining many yards. With Hubert booting them super deep, figuring out who can get down the field to make the play is useful. Will Obarski continue to light it up? Will Alford show up in the return game?

Reply/Quote

Per Lapham.

This coaching staff needs work on its short week preparations, so I for one am happy that they are getting so many games in a short time. It will build character.

Reply/Quote

Per Lapham.

Lapham should know...still, I don't know why they would use Dalton all 1st half in anything but preseason game 3, short week or not. ....I hope Dalton plays a little and gets out, so Bengals can get reps to the back-up QBs. ....Plus, I don't know how they reverse it and stretch Dalton out now and then shut him down for 2 games until regular season. He could get rusty. ....Short week or not, I would hope they would go as normal in preseason game 3. .....You would think that they need to start finding out who to keep and who to cut.  The one preseason game was not enough time for that. .....I also don't see how playing the bench players after a short week in preseason game 3 is a better move, with them going against teams 1st strings. ...Sounds to me like they could be worrying way to much about playing on Monday instead of Saturday. ....We agree they normally stretch it out in preseason game 3, and changing that could have downsides. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Too bad Trey Hopkins appears to be very fragile as I would like to see what he can do at the Center position.

The continued battle at LB. We probably keep 6 and there are a lot of candidates

Dre K to prove himself as the #1 CB on this team

KR battle

Will Clarke make Gilberry worry about his spot on the team.

Hunt to make any D-lineman worry about their spot on the team
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Whatever weird ass shit is going to go down. The Justin Smith call in 2006. The 12 men flag by Marvin in 2014. Crazy stuff seems to happen when we go to Tampa.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 07:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Too bad Trey Hopkins appears to be very fragile as I would like to see what he can do at the Center position.

The continued battle at LB. We probably keep 6 and there are a lot of candidates

Dre K to prove himself as the #1 CB on this team

KR battle

Will Clarke make Gilberry worry about his spot on the team.

Hunt to make any D-lineman worry about their spot on the team

I've never understood why you feel Gilberry could get cut.

Hunt should be the one worrying about his spot on the team.
Reply/Quote
To actually see who the hell this AJ McCarron dude is in the NFL.

To see if the Center position is going to make us lose once again this season. Very concerned here...

More from the TE's in the passing game besides Eifert.

This Deshaun Williams DT they are calling Geno 2.0. Would love if this guy would live up to that hype.

Pat Sims pushing Peko off the roster as long as Sims can stay healthy which is the only reason Peko should make the team. Pry won't happen.

Hunt doing something this year...

More of Super Mario.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 08:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To actually see who the hell this AJ McCarron dude is in the NFL.

To see if the Center position is going to make us lose once again this season. Very concerned here...

More from the TE's in the passing game besides Eifert.

This Deshaun Williams DT they are calling Geno 2.0. Would love if this guy would live up to that hype.

Pat Sims pushing Peko off the roster as long as Sims can stay healthy which is the only reason Peko should make the team. Pry won't happen.

Hunt doing something this year...

More of Super Mario.

Hobson mentioned Sims was unlikely to play...
Reply/Quote

Per Lapham.

After watching the Steelers and Packers both lose starters to injury, I want to see the backups play the whole game.
Reply/Quote
Alford running a fly pattern; Usomah over the middle and up the seam; same for Kroft; AJ Green with two receptions and off the field; d-line dominance; linebackers starting to emerge; more Josh Shaw.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 07:47 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I've never understood why you feel Gilberry could get cut.

Hunt should be the one worrying about his spot on the team.

Gilberry is 30 years old, entering his 9th season in the NFL, has never recorded a season with at least 8 sacks, and is coming off a year in which he had 1.5 while starting 16 games at RDE.

We have seen his ceiling and he is on the backside of his career. I hope Clarke, Hunt, and/or Montgomery show enough potential that we take a chance.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 04:43 PM)magikod Wrote: McCarron

I've seen enough Josh Johnson! lol

And Jason Campbell.

Reply/Quote
The Brunette Bomber AJ McCarron slinging and winging dime pieces like his wife

Burkasaurus Rex catching slants and balls in the flats and just eating up yardage in any manor or fashion as Burkasaurus is known to do

James Wilder bucking like a bronco

Derron Smith, Troy Hill, Josh Shaw ball hawking their way to being the best backup defensive backfield in the league

Like to see Andy be crisp, go down and score on first series and him and AJ go pull up a bench

Oh and I'll be there live at Raymond James.
Reply/Quote