Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Preseason week 2) ***Cincinnati Bengals @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers*** (Game Day Thread)
(08-23-2015, 09:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gilberry is 30 years old, entering his 9th season in the NFL, has never recorded a season with at least 8 sacks, and is coming off a year in which he had 1.5 while starting 16 games at RDE.

We have seen his ceiling and he is on the backside of his career. I hope Clarke, Hunt, and/or Montgomery show enough potential that we take a chance.

What does him not being starting caliber have anything to do with this? That's not his role and you know it. 2015 Gilberry will be 2013 Gilberry only playing slightly less with Clarke and Harrison in the mix now. 

And Gilberry's worst >>> Hunt's best. There's no hoping anymore, just acceptance. He is not a real football player, he has no business in a uniform when it counts. 

I'm not too mad at how it turned out, metrics should count for something and he was projected slightly higher than when he went. Probably should've went to a 34 as a 5 tech, that would've been the only way for the dream to come true.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I want to see...

- AJ McCarron
- Bodine not snap any balls over the QB's head
- Either Moore or Little force the coaches to move on from Tate.

I totally agree with these three pointsCool
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 06:35 PM)kevin Wrote: Lapham should know...still, I don't know why they would use Dalton all 1st half in anything but preseason game 3, short week or not. ....I hope Dalton plays a little and gets out, so Bengals can get reps to the back-up QBs. ....Plus, I don't know how they reverse it and stretch Dalton out now and then shut him down for 2 games until regular season. He could get rusty. ....Short week or not, I would hope they would go as normal in preseason game 3. .....You would think that they need to start finding out who to keep and who to cut.  The one preseason game was not enough time for that. .....I also don't see how playing the bench players after a short week in preseason game 3 is a better move, with them going against teams 1st strings. ...Sounds to me like they would be worrying way to much about playing on Monday instead of Saturday. ....We agree they normally stretch it out in preseason game 3, and changing that could have downsides. 

I don't know how long starters are going to play in week 2 or 3. I'm just saying preparation-wise, this is the game they're approaching most as a regular season game. Doesn't mean starters won't play just as long or longer week 3. As always, I would guess it just depends on the flow of the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 07:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Too bad Trey Hopkins appears to be very fragile as I would like to see what he can do at the Center position.

The continued battle at LB. We probably keep 6 and there are a lot of candidates

Dre K to prove himself as the #1 CB on this team

KR battle

Will Clarke make Gilberry worry about his spot on the team.

Hunt to make any D-lineman worry about their spot on the team

I can't envision Hopkins playing center at all except for maybe taking a few practice snaps there just as an emergency precaution.

And Gilberry is a lock. He doesn't have to worry about anything regardless of what Clarke does. They'll both be on the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 09:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gilberry is 30 years old, entering his 9th season in the NFL, has never recorded a season with at least 8 sacks, and is coming off a year in which he had 1.5 while starting 16 games at RDE.

We have seen his ceiling and he is on the backside of his career. I hope Clarke, Hunt, and/or Montgomery show enough potential that we take a chance.

Why pick 8 sacks? Because Gilberry has had seasons with 7.0, 6.5 and 7.5 sacks?

Gilberry looks better in a rotation. The DE's were thin last year so I don't think that helped him.

Fwiw, not all DE's fall off at 30 ala Geathers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dominance. All sides of the football.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 10:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why pick 8 sacks? Because Gilberry has had seasons with 7.0, 6.5 and 7.5 sacks?

Gilberry looks better in a rotation. The DE's were thin last year so I don't think that helped him.

Geathers fell off when the big/heavy money in his pockets from the big signing the Bengals did to keep him...  :snark:

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
McCarron and as what others have mentioned...  D-line depth players.  Center play.  Yada yada yada.

I'll add...

Someone else returning punts besides Gio. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
McCarron just because
Mario makin some plays
First Downs from 1st team O
Shut Russel down
Is Hunt playing?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 11:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: McCarron and as what others have mentioned...  D-line depth players.  Center play.  Yada yada yada.

I'll add...

Someone else returning punts besides Gio. 

Agreed, and to add to this, just feeling better about the return game in general. Nothing in the first preseason game made me feel confident about anyone besides Jones.
[Image: ferris-quote.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 10:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why pick 8 sacks? Because Gilberry has had seasons with 7.0, 6.5 and 7.5 sacks?

Yes. If I would have picked 5 it would not have made sense.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 10:42 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Geathers fell off when the big/heavy money in his pockets from the big signing the Bengals did to keep him...  :snark:

Geathers declined after his microfracture knee surgery and his changing role on the defense.
Reply/Quote
I also would like to see our interior OL hold up well enough for us to do some seven step drops.
Reply/Quote
No injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 04:43 PM)magikod Wrote: McCarron

I've seen enough Josh Johnson! lol

Pray that McCarron stays healthy.  Confused
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

Margus Hunt is 28 and never had a season with more than 1.5 sacks. 
Reply/Quote
So it's unfair to value Dunlap on sacks but Gilberry it's "A-Okay"? :snark:
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 06:49 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: So it's unfair to value Dunlap on sacks but Gilberry it's "A-Okay"? :snark:

Turns out, yea haha.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 02:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Andy looking sharp again.

More passes over the middle and up the seams to Eifert.

On the same note, double tight end sets with Uzomah and Kroft doing the same as above because it looked like it was going to be difficult enough for defenses to stop Eifert alone, so double that would be next to impossible.

I'd like to see Geno continue to look back to form and dominant, only better.

Our tackles opposite of Geno- Hardison, Sims, Williams- looking good enough to leave the coaches no choice but to unseat Peko.

Someone returning well enough to leave the coaches with no choice but to bench Tate.

Our center play because that's the most important spot on our line and the troubles with Bodine have me worried.

Our defensive ends getting pressure.  

Those are the basics.

With you on all of these, but you can't unseat Peko.  Not with this crop of DTs.  There is likely only one other guy that can play NT on this defense, and that is Sims.  I really like Sims, but only when used on a rotational basis.  He would wear down quickly and would leave you with nothing there if injured.  If the Bengals had drafter a Malcolm Brown?  Maybe, but unlikely as a rookie.  Peko can still be very effective in a rotation.  He started last year strong and wore down. 

I would like to see a bit more Rex in the slot, giving opposing D coordinators something else to worry about, and I would like to see Alford with more targets as a receiver. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 02:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Prince Akamura and DRC aren't a bad CB duo at all IMO.

I think it is their safeties that are so bad.  I think neither has played an NFL down, except their backup, the ageless wonder, Jeromy Miles. 
Reply/Quote