Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Elect slams cast of Hamilton...
...for talking to Vice President Pence?

[Image: trumphamilton.jpg]

So what did the cast say?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/19/donald-trump-hamilton-tweet-slammed-online

Quote:Pence was booed during Friday night’s performance of the Tony Award-winning musical, but Trump’s claims that the vice president-elect was “harassed” by the cast is based on a message actor Brandon Victor Dixon gave to Pence during curtain call. “We hope that you will hear us out. Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you, and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical. We really do,” Dixon said. “We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us, all of us. … We truly thank you for sharing this show — this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men, women, of different colors, creeds, and orientations.”

His skin is so thin you can see through it....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-19-2016, 06:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: His skin is so thin you can see through it....
No you can't Ninja

Nervous
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
The t
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Hamilton better watch out messing with another VP.

[Image: tdih-jul11-HD_still_624x352.jpg]
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
"The theatre must always be a safe and special place."? Apparently Donald missed the whole Abraham Lincoln thing.

So Pence took a couple of verbal jabs. He does bear a striking resemblance to that rubber punching dummy that people practice self defense on... He'll be ok.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(11-19-2016, 07:32 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Hamilton better watch out messing with another VP.

[Image: tdih-jul11-HD_still_624x352.jpg]

[Image: 8SCu6Ln.png]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I guess the baseball fans in Indiana are "very rude" and the stadiums should be a "safe place"?

So in a discussion elsewhere it came up that a friend would "...immediately fire any employee who used my business to promote their own agenda while alienating half of my customers, even if I agreed with them."

She was arguing that the cast did not realize they were speaking for the producers and stagehands, etc.

It seems the producers ASKED for this to be done so that settles that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/11/21/hamilton-actor-on-the-casts-speech-for-pence-theres-nothing-to-apologize-for/

Quote:Speaking on “CBS This Morning” on Monday, Brandon Victor Dixon — who plays Aaron Burr in the musical — said he felt that the popular show was a platform through which the cast could deliver a plea for understanding and inclusion after a divisive presidential election.

“Art is meant to bring people together. It’s meant to raise consciousness,” Dixon said. “And when you have a platform like that — I called [show producer] Jeffrey Seller after the show and said I applaud you all for not throwing away your shot, for taking a moment to spread a message of love, to spread a message of unity. We’re not here to boo. We’re here to cheer each other on.”

Dixon told “CBS This Morning” hosts he received a call from the producers of “Hamilton” about an hour before Friday’s performance started, asking if he would be willing to speak on behalf of the show.

“I’m not sure why they decided to ask me, but I was happy to,” Dixon said. “I was honored to represent our cast in our show in that way.”

But then I also found this little tidbit at the end of the article:

Quote:On Twitter, some Trump supporters called for a boycott of the musical. During the Saturday evening performance of “Hamilton” in Chicagoone audience member reportedly became so upset at an oft-applauded line in the musical — “Immigrants, we get the job done!” — that he began berating those near him with profanities, before fully erupting two songs later.

“We won. You Lost. Get over it. F— you,” the man, identified as 56-year-old John Palmer, yelled during “Dear Theodosia,” a tender number about a father’s unconditional love for his newborn child. Palmer was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of criminal trespass to land after refusing to leave, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

On Monday, “CBS This Morning” host Gayle King recounted the Chicago incident and asked Dixon whether he feared he had set a precedent for similar interruptions during “Hamilton” or other productions.

“No, and I’ll tell you that is certainly not the first time, nor will it be the last, that somebody went into a theater and began to act inappropriately or stand up and interrupt the show,” Dixon said.

Smirk
Whether you agree with Pence or not, and I certainly don't (I find his attitudes towards homosexuals neolithic at best) what they did was rude. Disagreement is fine, calling someone out publicly at an event that is supposed to be for the entertainment of the paying audience is not. I find it very likely that most, if not all, of the people applauding this move would be equally horrified if something of this sort was done to Joe Biden. A wrong thing doesn't become right because it happened to someone you don't like.
I think this is an example how he is going to be spending most of his presidency while the cabinet around him does all the work.

"Okay Donald we will take all of that into consideration now go into the corner and play with your phone the grownups are talking."
(11-22-2016, 03:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: So in a discussion elsewhere it came up that a friend would "...immediately fire any employee who used my business to promote their own agenda while alienating half of my customers, even if I agreed with them."

She was arguing that the cast did not realize they were speaking for the producers and stagehands, etc.

It seems the producers ASKED for this to be done so that settles that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/11/21/hamilton-actor-on-the-casts-speech-for-pence-theres-nothing-to-apologize-for/

But then I also found this little tidbit at the end of the article:

Smirk

I like that people are "protesting" the show. LOL, your ass wasn't spending $700 for the tickets anyways. 

I hope they make a movie, I want to see it but I fall asleep when I go to the theater. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-22-2016, 03:49 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I think this is an example how he is going to be spending most of his presidency while the cabinet around him does all the work.

"Okay Donald we will take all of that into consideration now go into the corner and play with your phone the grownups are talking."

I don't understand this attitude.  There is no doubt that Trump is thin skinned and has no sense of humor about himself (although he did consent to be roasted on Comedy Central) but to cast him as a man baby is foolish.  The man heads a huge corporation and makes big decisions on a frequent basis.  To characterize him as some ineffectual simpleton strikes me as playground level name calling.
(11-22-2016, 03:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't understand this attitude.  There is no doubt that Trump is thin skinned and has no sense of humor about himself (although he did consent to be roasted on Comedy Central) but to cast him as a man baby is foolish.  The man heads a huge corporation and makes big decisions on a frequent basis.  To characterize him as some ineffectual simpleton strikes me as playground level name calling.

It was a playground level of humor.
Since the policies that Pence supports would affect homosexuals every minute of their lives he should not expect certain parts of his life to be sheltered from protest.
(11-22-2016, 03:54 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It was a playground level of humor.

I got that and didn't mean to imply you were being serious.  That said, there are plenty of people making similar statements who are.  My statement was about the opinion, not intimating that you were the one expressing it.
(11-22-2016, 03:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't understand this attitude.  There is no doubt that Trump is thin skinned and has no sense of humor about himself (although he did consent to be roasted on Comedy Central) but to cast him as a man baby is foolish.  The man heads a huge corporation and makes big decisions on a frequent basis.  To characterize him as some ineffectual simpleton strikes me as playground level name calling.

He also said himself that he hasn't changed since the first grade.

Quote:"When I look at myself in the first grade and I look at myself now, I’m basically the same. The temperament is not that different."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/575962/donald-trump-tells-biographer-hes-same-now-first-grade

That plus the whole debacle of him claiming the election is rigged and he wouldn't accept the results when the nation thought he wasn't going to win, That the mic was messed up during the debate because he sounded like he had coke problem, Cries every time someone gets under his paper thin skin (usually through Twitter.) and when he claimed his earpiece was messed up during an interview. Those are all qualities of a child to me. When something doesn't go your way you pull an excuse out of your ass instead of owning up to it.

So yeah he's a man child. I say it partly as a joke but I think when you inherit everything sometimes you aren't forced to grow up.
(11-22-2016, 03:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Whether you agree with Pence or not, and I certainly don't (I find his attitudes towards homosexuals neolithic at best) what they did was rude.  Disagreement is fine, calling someone out publicly at an event that is supposed to be for the entertainment of the paying audience is not.  I find it very likely that most, if not all, of the people applauding this move would be equally horrified if something of this sort was done to Joe Biden.  A wrong thing doesn't become right because it happened to someone you don't like.

See, I don't get this point of view, and in the spirit of Sunset's thread, I want to understand it. 

They thanked Pence for coming, told the audience there was nothing to boo about him and then said 

Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical, we really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us — our planet, our children, our parents — or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

From this point until he leaves office, he is not a private citizen. He's the Vice President. He works for us and to serve us. They were petitioning him to redress their grievance. It wasn't rude and it wasn't accusatory as they made sure to use language that indicated this was their feeling. 

Thanks in advance. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
As for all the tweets from Donald that is just his attempt to deflect interest from his settlement for Trump UNiversity ripping people off.

And it seemed to work. More people are talking about Hamilton than Trump University.

Ironic note to Trump calling for a boycott of Hamilton. The electoral college was Hamiltons idea.
(11-22-2016, 03:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Whether you agree with Pence or not, and I certainly don't (I find his attitudes towards homosexuals neolithic at best) what they did was rude.  Disagreement is fine, calling someone out publicly at an event that is supposed to be for the entertainment of the paying audience is not.  I find it very likely that most, if not all, of the people applauding this move would be equally horrified if something of this sort was done to Joe Biden.  A wrong thing doesn't become right because it happened to someone you don't like.

I like the way Pence handled it.  Like an adult and a good politician.

And like others I did not find it rude as it happened during the curtain call, not during the play or during say intermission.  

What would he have to do other than the bolded part to be a man child in your eyes?

Just because he makes decisions (if he does) he's still acting like a child every time he is challenged or feels he has been slighted.