Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Elect slams cast of Hamilton...
(11-22-2016, 04:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: See, I don't get this point of view, and in the spirit of Sunset's thread, I want to understand it. 

They thanked Pence for coming, told the audience there was nothing to boo about him and then said 

Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical, we really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us — our planet, our children, our parents — or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

From this point until he leaves office, he is not a private citizen. He's the Vice President. He works for us and to serve us. They were petitioning him to redress their grievance. It wasn't rude and it wasn't accusatory as they made sure to use language that indicated this was their feeling. 

Thanks in advance. 

The content of their statement wasn't rude to be sure and I get that he's a celebrity and not a private citizen.  Maybe I have a different perspective on this as I have friends who are celebrities and you would not believe the liberties people take with them simply because they're famous.  Yes, you certainly ask for a measure of that when you decide to enter the profession, be it the entertainment industry or politics.  That doesn't mean everyone has a right to access you or address you as they please.  I just don't like the idea of calling someone out in public like that.  Let me throw a different scenario at you, if Pence was at dinner with his wife and the entire wait staff came over and read a prepared statement would you view the event in the same light as this?

(11-22-2016, 04:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: I like the way Pence handled it.  Like an adult and a good politician.

And like others I did not find it rude as it happened during the curtain call, not during the play or during say intermission.  

I agree, he handled it well. 

(11-22-2016, 04:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: What would he have to do other than the bolded part to be a man child in your eyes?

Just because he makes decisions (if he does) he's still acting like a child every time he is challenged or feels he has been slighted.

My statement was in response to a joke that Trump is just going to sit in the corner while the adults run things.  Given that context I don't see how my statement could be confusing.  The man makes yuuge decisions as part of his daily life.  Being thin skinned and hot tempered doesn't make you a man-child, being incapable of functioning successfully in the adult world does.
(11-22-2016, 04:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The content of their statement wasn't rude to be sure and I get that he's a celebrity and not a private citizen.  Maybe I have a different perspective on this as I have friends who are celebrities and you would not believe the liberties people take with them simply because they're famous.  Yes, you certainly ask for a measure of that when you decide to enter the profession, be it the entertainment industry or politics.  That doesn't mean everyone has a right to access you or address you as they please.  I just don't like the idea of calling someone out in public like that.  Let me throw a different scenario at you, if Pence was at dinner with his wife and the entire wait staff came over and read a prepared statement would you view the event in the same light as this?

I would, and I think the setting plays a role. One expects to be left to themselves (with occasional interruptions by a waiter or manager) while at a restaurant. At a play, one expects to hear from those on stage. Often times the performers will address the crowd, but admittedly as a whole not just one person. Given the fact that this is a very politically motivated play, I am less inclined to be shocked by it. 

I will say, however, that being a celebrity does not give others a free pass to just treat you as there for their entertainment. However, being a public servant, the public should be free to address you when appropriate. I can understand where you're coming from, however, as you have experience with people treating celebrities inappropriately. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Bah, this was the perfect opportunity for Trump to show all those liberal crybabies out there how REAL MEN handle being offended. Swing and a miss, but I guess we have 4 more years to get it right, eh?
(11-22-2016, 04:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I would, and I think the setting plays a role. One expects to be left to themselves (with occasional interruptions by a waiter or manager) while at a restaurant. At a play, one expects to hear from those on stage. Often times the performers will address the crowd, but admittedly as a whole not just one person. Given the fact that this is a very politically motivated play, I am less inclined to be shocked by it. 

I will say, however, that being a celebrity does not give others a free pass to just treat you as there for their entertainment. However, being a public servant, the public should be free to address you when appropriate. I can understand where you're coming from, however, as you have experience with people treating celebrities inappropriately. 

Pretty much this. It being a public servant rather than a "celebrity", plus the setting, lends itself to this. I have no problem with this sort of thing done towards any elected official, or even a senior bureaucrat. As long as it is done in a respectful manner, then I'm all for it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Pence seems to have handled it with grace and class. Trump could learn from his example. If Trump didn't fan the flames, it would probably be buried under the ever churning 24 hour news cycle and social media.
(11-22-2016, 04:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The content of their statement wasn't rude to be sure and I get that he's a celebrity and not a private citizen.  Maybe I have a different perspective on this as I have friends who are celebrities and you would not believe the liberties people take with them simply because they're famous.  Yes, you certainly ask for a measure of that when you decide to enter the profession, be it the entertainment industry or politics.  That doesn't mean everyone has a right to access you or address you as they please.  I just don't like the idea of calling someone out in public like that.  Let me throw a different scenario at you, if Pence was at dinner with his wife and the entire wait staff came over and read a prepared statement would you view the event in the same light as this?

I agree, he handled it well. 

My statement was in response to a joke that Trump is just going to sit in the corner while the adults run things.  Given that context I don't see how my statement could be confusing.  The man makes yuuge decisions as part of his daily life.  Being thin skinned and hot tempered doesn't make you a man-child, being incapable of functioning successfully in the adult world does.
as a society, we don't value anyone's privacy much any more. Whether it's being forced to listen to someone's opinion or being prohibited from a long list things in your own home, we're a culture where everyone is trying to tell you what you're doing wrong.
I have zero issue with the prepared statement read to the VP elect; just as I have no issue with anyone voicing their displeasure of the message.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-19-2016, 07:32 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Hamilton better watch out messing with another VP.

[Image: tdih-jul11-HD_still_624x352.jpg]
LOL  I'm not a Pence supporter, but that is a great visual.
(11-22-2016, 03:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't understand this attitude.  There is no doubt that Trump is thin skinned and has no sense of humor about himself (although he did consent to be roasted on Comedy Central) but to cast him as a man baby is foolish.  The man heads a huge corporation and makes big decisions on a frequent basis.  To characterize him as some ineffectual simpleton strikes me as playground level name calling.

It would be playground-level name calling--except that Trump's tweets tend to be playground-level name calling. He is a grown man who responds to conflicts like an angry junior high kid on social media.

There is no getting around that. This is the man who tweeted a picture of his wife next to Cruz's to call Cruz's wife ugly.  That's not just a thin skin. It is TERRIBLY bad judgment--like parading Clinton accusers at a national debate. And his own staff is full of anecdotes of the tricks they use to keep him on task and out of trouble. Make their suggestions appear as his own ideas. Never confront him directly. He has a penchant for agreeing with and praising the last person who was nice to him--including Obama, who appears to have taken a page from Kellyanne Conway's playbook.

Making "big decisions" in the business your father gave you--and saved from you--doesn't mean you can't be a man child.
And being one becomes an acute problem when you have to be accountable to diverse groups of people in a way that you don't when you own your own business and can surround yourself with yes-men who want to keep their jobs.

And there is reason for concern here in that now all foreign leaders--not all of the them friends--know about Trump's thin skin.
They know which trivial matters may keep him tweeting at 3 am as major events affecting the US national interest are unfolding abroad.