Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
President's remarks at Dallas Memorial
(07-14-2016, 11:21 AM)PhilHos Wrote:  I can understand a message of promising or attempting to working towards ridding the country of violence, but a memorial service is for remembering those that died, not those that did the killing or reminding people of all that crap that still is in the world. Leave the political stuff for another time.

He is the POTUS.  If they did not want to to address the issues facing the country then they should never have asked him to speak. The men who died were total strangers to him, so why was he there in the first place if not in his roll as POTUS.

I realize it was supposed to be about the men who died, but If he does not address the underlying problem then he is letting these men die in vain.
(07-14-2016, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is the POTUS.  If they did not want to to address the issues facing the country then they should never have asked him to speak. The men who died were total strangers to him, so why was he there in the first place if not in his roll as POTUS.

I realize it was supposed to be about the men who died, but If he does not address the underlying problem then he is letting these men die in vain.

Was he asked to speak, or did he (his office) request the time at the podium?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-14-2016, 01:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Was he asked to speak, or did he (his office) request the time at the podium?

Good question.
(07-14-2016, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good question.

To me, that makes a big difference. If he was asked then some of his comments still seem out of place to me, but those who asked should not have been surprised. If his office initiated that situation, then it becomes more inappropriate. To me at least.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-14-2016, 01:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Was he asked to speak, or did he (his office) request the time at the podium?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-dallas-memorial_us_57829355e4b0c590f7e9d65d

Quote:President Barack Obama will travel to Dallas on Tuesday to deliver remarks at an interfaith memorial service in honor of the victims of a racially motivated shooting of police last week.

The White House said Sunday afternoon that the president had accepted an invitation by Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings to speak at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/10/politics/obama-police-shootings-spain/

Quote:The President will visit the Texas city at the request of Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said in a statement Sunday afternoon. On Sunday evening the White House announced that Bush would join his successor at the memorial service in Texas.

Vice President Joe Biden will also attend the service at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, as will former first lady Laura Bush.

Obama and Bush are expected to meet with families of the fallen officers. The President is cutting short a European trip to travel to Dallas, but he has spoken out on the shootings several times while abroad. While in Spain Sunday, the President condemned citizens who attack police officers, saying they are performing a "disservice to the cause" of criminal justice reform.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.