Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Pressure is the great equalizer"
Even if we game plan for a variety of blitzes (I like Fred's comment about utilizing the DB blitz talent), Pat is still going to make plays and move the ball. We need to limit mistakes in the red zone, come up with a turnover or two and hope the offense puts up 30 plus.
Reply/Quote
This game is going to hinge on Mixon being able to run the ball effectively and keeping Mahomes off the field.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 10:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: They did. Just for clarity, their line is: 

LT:  Orlando Brown (trade from Ravens), Pro Bowl 
LG:  Joe Thuney (FA signing) 
C:  Creed Humphrey (Rookie: 2nd round pick) 
RG: Trey Smith (Rookie: 6th round pick) 
RT:  Lucas Niang (2020 3rd rd pick, opted out last year). 

Niang was "on the team" last year, but he opted out like Tupou & Prince did for us. Did not play. 

Nice job rebuilding an OL. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 02:41 PM)SladeX Wrote: Nice job rebuilding an OL. 

Getting a rookie starter in the 6th round is nothing but luck.  But still a good job.  It was the only real weakness on their team.  Just think if the Bengals had been able to use just a fraction of the free-agent money they spent on the defense for the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 02:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This game is going to hinge on Mixon being able to run the ball effectively and keeping Mahomes off the field.

No doubt

Josh Johnson (career 70.7 passer rating) last week against the Bengals....304 yds, 70.0% comp, 2 tds, 98.3 passer rating

Patrick Mahommes (career 105.9 passer rating) this week against the Bengals...... ????????
Reply/Quote
That was a good insight into the mind of Sweet Lou. One thing I do like about this staff, their pressers and interviews are full of good info instead of just coach speak.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 10:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lou has to get creative with his blitz packages against Mahommes and Reid.

I'd be bringing a lot of Mike Hilton and Vonn Bell from the secondary and maybe Jordan Kovacs from the sidelines.  I don't think NFL team utilize the "coach blitz" enough.  It almost always catches the opponent unaware.

Bengals defense doesn't rely on the blitz. They are in the bottom 7 of the league for blitz % (21%): https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

Defenses with early season success against the Chiefs didn't blitz, but I don't know if teams continued that trend or if the Chiefs offense adapted; the Chiefs have improved as the season progresses. Anyhow, it's not about Lou being creative but deciding if he needs to increase the number of blitz plays called during the course of the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No doubt

Josh Johnson (career 70.7 passer rating) last week against the Bengals....304 yds, 70.0% comp, 2 tds, 98.3 passer rating

Patrick Mahommes (career 105.9 passer rating) this week against the Bengals...... ????????

84.5 - the Bengals do not perform well against surprises or newbies.
Reply/Quote
There are two ways to get sacks. The first way is raw pressure. The second way is coverage so tight the quarterback has no place to throw. If the Bengals can combine these two talents they’ll beat the Chiefs like a drum.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 09:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There are two ways to get sacks. The first way is raw pressure.  The second way is coverage so tight the quarterback has no place to throw.  If the Bengals can combine these two talents they’ll beat the Chiefs like a drum.

If Lou figured out how to stop Lamar, then I'll take my chances he can stop Mahomes or at least slow him down. Just figure out how to take away Kelce's big play ability.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 09:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Bengals defense doesn't rely on the blitz. They are in the bottom 7 of the league for blitz % (21%): https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

Defenses with early season success against the Chiefs didn't blitz, but I don't know if teams continued that trend or if the Chiefs offense adapted; the Chiefs have improved as the season progresses. Anyhow, it's not about Lou being creative but deciding if he needs to increase the number of blitz plays called during the course of the game.

Picking the right time (not easy) to blitz is very important as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 09:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Picking the right time (not easy) to blitz is very important as well.

For sure. Lou's had some great games calling defensive plays though so I trust his play calling.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 09:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Picking the right time (not easy) to blitz is very important as well.

Agree, especially against Mahomes. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We need one of these...

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 11:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our LB picks were so bad for so damn long. Thankfully it seems to be getting better since Taylor got here.

Absolutely.  Bengal LB drafts were like Cleveland QBs for a while.

Right now, we are damn lucky they took that 7th round chance on Bailey.  He has been a real find and is one of our only healthy LBs this weekend.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 10:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: We need one of these...

With the way the refs are, he's lucky he didn't get a taunting call for looking at Mahomes on the ground. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 08:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm posting by phone, so no link, but if you go to the home page there is a video interview with Lou that is pretty good. He said they will have to pressure and harass Mahomes and once the play is in motion plaster rules. Also said you can't play one way, or it will be a long day, so they have to mix man coverage with zone and it comes down to when you call what. It' worth watching. We need a huge game from our d line

All of the Chiefs OL have been solid or better.
Humphrey has been a stud.
Their weakness is probably RT, so that'd be where I'd focus if I'm the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Heard they will be without their running back.
Reply/Quote
Our DL is able to bring the heat from both edges and inside without blitzing - something that has been key for us this season and something the Chiefs really have yet to have to deal with this season. So as important as the offense will be tomorrow (and it will be) it will also be important for the DL to bring the heat and show why they have 33 sacks from the front 4 this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 02:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This game is going to hinge on Mixon being able to run the ball effectively and keeping Mahomes off the field.

Keeping the Bengals defense well rested
Reply/Quote