Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure on Rookies
(05-06-2021, 06:39 PM)pally Wrote: Zac said "Ja'Marr Chase can be one of the great receivers over the next 10-15 years"  Pretty standard coaching line for a top 5 draft pick right?

ESPN NFL reporter Dianne Russini, using Zac's quote, tweeted "I never understand why any team would put pressure on ANY player who hasn’t played in one NFL game. It makes no sense to me. Nobody needs the extra pressure."

and when challenged on what she thinks Zac should have said responded “we expect him to come in here, work hard, be a great teammate, learn our system, and be a Bengal”

Now I am of the opinion that she is full of it.  If your bosses aren't pushing you to your potential you either don't have it or your boss doesn't care.  

Elite athletes EXPECT to be great. If they don't have that expectation they would never be at a professional level in the first place.

So, what do you think?  Is too much pressure being put on Joe or Ja'Marr?
Elite athletes expect to be great you are very correct on that.  

However, if you look at some of the past elite athletes we've drafted and you say to yourself damn they were a stud in college what the hell happened in the NFL.  

Lets take a look, John Ross, fast quick WR at Washington.  Really made the Washington offense excel the season he was there.  Came to Cincy and shit the bed.  

Peter Warrick stud out of FSU, played the Bengals for 4 years and never lived up to expectations. Was ultimately replaced by TJ Hous.

Akili Smith came in with all the confidence in the world.  Truly believed he was going to be the next star QB after 1 year of stardom at Oregon.  Came in and was a complete bust.  

I agree you can expect your players to be studs coming in especially the 1st rounders, but as you can see above just cause you were drafted high and a stud in college doesn't mean it's going to translate into the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
Ross was an elite track athlete... I don't believe he was ever an elite football player.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 06:39 PM)pally Wrote: Zac said "Ja'Marr Chase can be one of the great receivers over the next 10-15 years"  Pretty standard coaching line for a top 5 draft pick right?

ESPN NFL reporter Dianne Russini, using Zac's quote, tweeted "I never understand why any team would put pressure on ANY player who hasn’t played in one NFL game. It makes no sense to me. Nobody needs the extra pressure."

and when challenged on what she thinks Zac should have said responded “we expect him to come in here, work hard, be a great teammate, learn our system, and be a Bengal”

Now I am of the opinion that she is full of it.  If your bosses aren't pushing you to your potential you either don't have it or your boss doesn't care.  

Elite athletes EXPECT to be great. If they don't have that expectation they would never be at a professional level in the first place.

If you're taken in the Top 5, you're expected to be elite. If you crumble under that expectation, you should never have been a Top 5 pick to begin with.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ross was an elite track athlete... I don't believe he was ever an elite football player.

Ross was also not taken in the Top 5 and was the 3rd WR taken.
He wasn't an elite football player, but he did have elite quickness and speed, and put up 81 receptions for 1150 yards and 17 TDs his final year in college. There was an expectation he would be a dynamic, very good WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ross was an elite track athlete... I don't believe he was ever an elite football player.

Well i mean Ross was fast as hell but he couldnt stay on the football field. 

To say he was an elite track athlete is probably right but at Washington he was an elite football player too.

You don't have 81rec 1,150 yards adn 17 TD in one season if you were only a track athlete.  

I've seen track guys try and play football.  Just cause their fast doesn't mean they can actually catch the football. 
Reply/Quote
I think in a lot of cases, Dianne would be right.

But this isn't one of them.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:01 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Well i mean Ross was fast as hell but he couldnt stay on the football field. 

To say he was an elite track athlete is probably right but at Washington he was an elite football player too.

You don't have 81rec 1,150 yards adn 17 TD in one season if you were only a track athlete.  

I've seen track guys try and play football.  Just cause their fast doesn't mean they can actually catch the football. 

Case in point, John Ross.... he was fast enough that in college, he probably could get past just about any DB and be open. When he got to the NFL, where everybody is fast, he couldn't quite compete.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Case in point, John Ross.... he was fast enough that in college, he probably could get past just about any DB and be open. When he got to the NFL, where everybody is fast, he couldn't quite compete.

well I mean in college it also depends on your QB.  I'd say that Ja'marr Chase had a better college QB than John Ross :) j/s

Your right though about Ross being a track guy. I was just trying to make a point that just cause your fast doesnt mean you can catch a football.

Hell look at the majority of DB's in college or the NFL, they are fast as hell but their DB's for a reason.  They can't catch the ball. 
Reply/Quote

They like the pressure, at least those 2 guys do. If you are soft I could see it being a problem and then I don't want them
on my team anyways. Joe and Ja'Marr want to be pushed and want to be the best ever, nothing Zac says will change this.

Zac says the right things and does the right things, he just needs to call the game better and be a better HC.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:30 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Elite athletes expect to be great you are very correct on that.  

However, if you look at some of the past elite athletes we've drafted and you say to yourself damn they were a stud in college what the hell happened in the NFL.  

Lets take a look, John Ross, fast quick WR at Washington.  Really made the Washington offense excel the season he was there.  Came to Cincy and shit the bed.  

Peter Warrick stud out of FSU, played the Bengals for 4 years and never lived up to expectations. Was ultimately replaced by TJ Hous.

Akili Smith came in with all the confidence in the world.  Truly believed he was going to be the next star QB after 1 year of stardom at Oregon.  Came in and was a complete bust.  

I agree you can expect your players to be studs coming in especially the 1st rounders, but as you can see above just cause you were drafted high and a stud in college doesn't mean it's going to translate into the NFL. 

Your 3 examples all failed for very different reasons.

- Ross lacked confidence and needed to be coddled. In short, couldn't handle the pressure.
- Warrick was coming along nicely, but suffered an injury he never recovered from.
- Akili just didn't put in the work. He was essentially Jamarcus Russell with less talent.

Confidence is huge. But so is work ethic and talent. You need all 3.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Your 3 examples all failed for very different reasons.

- Ross lacked confidence and needed to be coddled. In short, couldn't handle the pressure.
-  Warrick was coming along nicely, but suffered an injury he never recovered from.
- Akili just didn't put in the work. He was essentially Jamarcus Russell with less talent.

Truth, Ja'Marr is nothing like those guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Your 3 examples all failed for very different reasons.

-  Warrick was coming along nicely, but suffered an injury he never recovered from.

Shake, i didnt say they didnt fail for different reasons. 

However, I said just because their a high draft pick doesnt mean that the draft pick can't fail for multiple reasons. 

I mean hello we're the Bengals organization, if it can happen it'll happen to our franchise, I'm just sayin!

Confidence is huge, your correct but say this kid comes in and only puts up 500 yards this year and has a a few critical drops. 

Do you not think the fan base is going to ride him hard?  Talk crap on talk radio about him?  Right they are.  So the kid may have confidence but he better have better blinders. 
Reply/Quote

Spot on!
Reply/Quote

Akili Smith has to be the worst draft pick the Bengals ever made especially after turning down the insane offer from the Saints to sit there and take him... 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Case in point, John Ross.... he was fast enough that in college, he probably could get past just about any DB and be open. When he got to the NFL, where everybody is fast, he couldn't quite compete.

Honestly, I just think Ross was mentally weak, but it wasn't apparent in college because he was just so much more talented than the Pac-12 DB's that were trying to cover him.  He didn't have drop issues in college.  When he got to the NFL and started getting challenged on a regular basis, he folded up mentally.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:18 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Akili Smith has to be the worst draft pick the Bengals ever made especially after turning down the insane offer from the Saints to sit there and take him... 

Murdock, Akili wasn't the worst draft choice in Bengals history. That honor either belongs to David Klingler or Kijana Carter. Carter probably has a good career of je doesn't get hurt but everyone knew Klingler was the product of the run and gun offense. Dude never had a chance in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:46 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Murdock, Akili wasn't the worst draft choice in Bengals history. That honor either belongs to David Klingler or Kijana Carter. Carter probably has a good career of je doesn't get hurt but everyone knew Klingler was the product of the run and gun offense. Dude never had a chance in the NFL

Akili was absolutely the worst pick in team history and it's not even close.

Not. Even. Close.

And talk about pressure; he just didn't care and didn't use the pressure against him to get better.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:06 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Akili was absolutely the worst pick in team history and it's not even close.

Not. Even. Close.

And talk about pressure; he just didn't care and didn't use the pressure against him to get better.

Yeah... It's Akili. The guy goes off in the Rose Bowl, and Mike Brown fell in love. The guys left on the board after him make it worse. Akili Smith was a turd.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 10:13 AM)jason Wrote: Yeah... It's Akili. The guy goes off in the Rose Bowl, and Mike Brown fell in love. The guys left on the board after him make it worse. Akili Smith was a turd.

Ok can we at least agree their both big piles of shit that never accounted for anything in a Bengals uniform lol
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:46 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Murdock, Akili wasn't the worst draft choice in Bengals history. That honor either belongs to David Klingler or Kijana Carter. Carter probably has a good career of je doesn't get hurt but everyone knew Klingler was the product of the run and gun offense. Dude never had a chance in the NFL

Dave Klinger on his worst day was better than Akili. Klingler had no o-line.

Ki-Jana was decent when he played. We would've been better off as a team if Akili got injured.

He authored arguably the worst passing season in NFL history in 2000. With weapons Klingler only dreamed of.

Seriously, it's not close. Even before considering all the picks we passed up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote