Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Brown
Presumably Taylor signed off on retaining Brown...then the coaches also said...Hey let's play a Nickle 2 LB set with Brown and Vigil as our LB's! That will work! Neither Brown nor Vigil would play Nickle on other teams in the league.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Presumably Taylor signed off on retaining Brown...then the coaches also said...Hey let's play a Nickle 2 LB set with Brown and Vigil as our LB's! That will work! Neither Brown nor Vigil would play Nickle on other teams in the league.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
He is giving up 11 yards up per a reception! That's terrible. Dude is our biggest issue on defense right now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't know what to think about our defense. Guys who have played well before like Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates really bad at times.

I never thought Brown was a great player, but he may not be as bad as he looks playing in this system for these coaches. Like our DBs, both Vigil and Brown have seemed slow to react and out of position. I don't know if they are really that bad or if they are just being given bad reads/keys our are lined up out of position to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is giving up 11 yards up per a reception! That's terrible. Dude is our biggest issue on defense right now.

Not so much defending Brown as giving a little perspective.

169 yards is less than 10% of what the team has allowed.  I don't know if I can call him our "biggest issue on defense" right now.
Reply/Quote
BUT HE'S A TACKLIN' MACHINE!!
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what to think about our defense.  Guys who have played well before like Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates really bad at times.

I never thought Brown was a great player, but he may not be as bad as he looks playing in this system for these coaches.  Like our DBs, both Vigil and Brown have seemed slow to react and out of position.  I don't know if they are really that bad or if they are just being given bad reads/keys our are lined up out of position to begin with.

Honestly, a Nickle scheme is a terrible fit for both Brown and Vigil. They have to cover too much space.

This scheme might work if we had a really fast safety that could make tackles too...but we really don't.

Ditto on the secondary. They've all regressed.

We're on pace to give up 3024 yards rushing too. Plus, we get no pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, a Nickle scheme is a terrible fit for both Brown and Vigil. They have to cover too much space.

This scheme might work if we had a really fast safety that could make tackles too...but we really don't.

I read your posts and I get the impression things aren't going so well this year. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:07 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I read your posts and I get the impression things aren't going so well this year. 

We have had some bright spots. Hopkins then Tate, Erickson, and Ross all had good games. Our punter has done very well.

Other than that...I've got nothing.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not so much defending Brown as giving a little perspective.

169 yards is less than 10% of what the team has allowed.  I don't know if I can call him our "biggest issue on defense" right now.
Coming into yesterdays game the Bengals were giving up more receiving yards to RB and TEs then WRs. We can't stop the run because neither him or Vigil are sideline to Sideline players. Also it's not like he was good last season dude was dreadful.
(10-21-2019, 05:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, a Nickle scheme is a terrible fit for both Brown and Vigil. They have to cover too much space.

The majority of the NFL is in Nickle what 60% to 70% of the time. If you can't play in it then you don't belong in the NFL. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is giving up 11 yards up per a reception! That's terrible. Dude is our biggest issue on defense right now.

add the extensions of Brown and Uz to the list of incompressible personnel decisions like Hart, Sample and Gio.

This is one poorly run business .

They would have been in chapter 11 or 7 years ago without the NFL subsidies.
Reply/Quote

Personally I think it is more likely that he scheme and system are the problem.

I find it hard to believe that suddenly every player on our defense has gotten worse.  How can you believe that?
Reply/Quote
What I hate is that Deone Buchanon was available and the front office didn't even bother to bring him in.
He's a better fit for this 4 2 5 or 5 2 4 scheme.
Yet this front office has a man crush on Vigil and Brown.
And yet LAST YEAR THEY WERE BOTH EXPOSED FOR THEIR INABILITY TO COVER RBs and TEs....
What does the front office do.keep them for another year!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Personally I think it is more likely that he scheme and system are the problem.

I find it hard to believe that suddenly every player on our defense has gotten worse.  How can you believe that?

I've been blaming scheme and coaching on defense for quite some time. It's fairly obvious when a guy like Geno regresses.

Maybe camp/practice isn't preparing them for the games too?
Reply/Quote
Preston Brown saved a TD, on that opening drive, goal line stand, yesterday.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, a Nickle scheme is a terrible fit for both Brown and Vigil. They have to cover too much space.

Put two safeties in at LB in the nickel. At least they could get to the edges.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Preston Brown saved a TD, on that opening drive, goal line stand, yesterday.

Good. Then he can make the league minimum and come in on goal line situations.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Good. Then he can make the league minimum and come in on goal line situations.

As a unit, the defense played well enough to win, yesterday.  Not their fault that Andy and the offense couldn't seize the momentum, and put that game away.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have had some bright spots. Hopkins then Tate, Erickson, and Ross all had good games. Our punter has done very well.

Other than that...I've got nothing.

Hubbard

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hubbard

[Image: th?id=OIP.TV_kVJLRUz1meLujU7axBQHaGl&pid...=177&h=159]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Pratt finally showed some promise yesterday. He got exposed a few plays but all in all a pretty good game for a rookie.
Reply/Quote