Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Brown
(10-21-2019, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a unit, the defense played well enough to win, yesterday.  Not their fault that Andy and the offense couldn't seize the momentum, and put that game away.

460 yards. 200+ Rushing. TOP was lopsided. <--- Not good enough to win numbers.

Somehow they don't give up a lot of TD's though.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a unit, the defense played well enough to win, yesterday.  Not their fault that Andy and the offense couldn't seize the momentum, and put that game away.

Leave the Monday morning QBing to me. You need to stop hitting the snooze button on Monday mornings and get all the doors open on this board.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Preston Brown saved a TD, on that opening drive, goal line stand, yesterday.

Clearly we need to sign him to a 5 year $50M deal given his outstanding single tackle.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 460 yards. 200+ Rushing. TOP was lopsided. <--- Not good enough to win numbers.

Somehow they don't give up a lot of TD's though.

There the 4th best Redzone Defense in the NFL. I don't get it either.

Preston Brown has zero TFLs in the 14 starts as a Bengal.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Kinda surprised Taylor didn't bring Mark Barron here given he worked with him in LA.
I think Barron is more what the Bengals need than Preston Brown from a skill set standpoint.
Maybe age played into it given Brown will turn 30 on Sunday whereas Brown will turn 27 on Sunday.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:32 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: There the 4th best Redzone Defense in the NFL. I don't get it either.

Preston Brown has zero TFLs in the 14 starts as a Bengal.

Easier to defend when you don't have to cover as much ground...?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what to think about our defense.  Guys who have played well before like Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates really bad at times.

I never thought Brown was a great player, but he may not be as bad as he looks playing in this system for these coaches.  Like our DBs, both Vigil and Brown have seemed slow to react and out of position.  I don't know if they are really that bad or if they are just being given bad reads/keys our are lined up out of position to begin with.

If coaching is about putting players in a position to excel and maximize their talents then someone is letting Brown down.

I was probably a bigger supporter of Rey Mauluga then most and he was a better LB .vs. run than Brown ever has been IMHO...and when we had Tez and the likes of Lamur, Thomas Howard he could come off the field in passing situations so he was less exposed.

Towards the end of his career at the bengals he drew a lot of board angst for not covering TE and RBs in the flat - but that was never his game - that was not his fault.

Why we were/are are running brown out there in a 2 LB system is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 05:54 PM)sonofstat Wrote: If coaching is about putting players in a position to excel and maximize their talents then someone is letting Brown down.

I was probably a bigger supporter of Rey Mauluga then most and he was a better LB .vs. run than Brown ever has been IMHO...and when we had Tez and the likes of Lamur, Thomas Howard he could come off the field in passing situations so he was less exposed.

Towards the end of his career at the bengals he drew a lot of board angst for not covering TE and RBs in the flat - but that was never his game - that was not his fault.

Why we were/are are running brown out there in a 2 LB system is beyond me.

In Browns Defense he used to be 250 to 260 pounds and could take on Tackles and Fullbacks in the running game. Dude lost  20 pounds in the Off-season but gained little to no speed in the process.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 06:05 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: In Browns Defense he used to be 250 to 260 pounds and could take on Tackles and Fullbacks in the running game. Dude lost  20 pounds in the Off-season but gained little to no speed in the process.

Indeed...so its not like Brown is being negligent - he turned up in shape and as light as he can probably get too but its square peg , round hole still.

The other thing to consider is that whilst his strength is meant to be the running game that does not include running QB's... with others he's trying to chase down in space the likes of Lamar Jackson, Murray, Josh Allen, Minshew - again he's going to struggle with that.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what to think about our defense.  Guys who have played well before like Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates really bad at times.

I never thought Brown was a great player, but he may not be as bad as he looks playing in this system for these coaches.  Like our DBs, both Vigil and Brown have seemed slow to react and out of position.  I don't know if they are really that bad or if they are just being given bad reads/keys our are lined up out of position to begin with.

So then the new DC is to blame?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 08:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So then the new DC is to blame?

Probably. I doubt that either Brown or Vigil would be on any teams in the leagues Nickle package outside of ours.

Man...a safety like Eric Reid may have helped us. Playing him instead of Webb.
Reply/Quote
The problem with our coaches is that the went with WHAT THEY WANT TO DO, instead of WHAT THEY CAN DO with the talent player personnel that they have and are paying the price. These coaches know nothing. I have a feeling they are responsible for who was signed too, not Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 10:07 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The problem with our coaches is that the went with WHAT THEY WANT TO DO, instead of WHAT THEY CAN DO with the talent player personnel that they have and are paying the price. These coaches know nothing.  I have a feeling they are responsible for who was signed too, not Mike Brown.

I feel like Mike Brown was like 'Hey, I want to sign Moseley/Saffold/AND Jordan Hicks' and Zac Taylor was like 'No way!!! We need Preston Brown, Bobby Hart, and BW Webb instead!'
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Kinda surprised Taylor didn't bring Mark Barron here given he worked with him in LA.
I think Barron is more what the Bengals need than Preston Brown from a skill set standpoint.
Maybe age played into it given Brown will turn 30 on Sunday whereas Brown will turn 27 on Sunday.

Barron is a big name. Mike Brown would never approve that. FA signings have to be scrubs not wanted by their previous team.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 12:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Barron is a big name. Mike Brown would never approve that. FA signings have to be scrubs not wanted by their previous team.

Barron kind of is overrated though. Hurt a lot. 2 year $12 million contract with the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 12:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Barron kind of is overrated though. Hurt a lot. 2 year $12 million contract with the Steelers.

Yea and that contract is backloaded too. That's something the Bengals could have easily taken on.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 12:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Barron kind of is overrated though. Hurt a lot. 2 year $12 million contract with the Steelers.

Mikey would never approve that. Maybe a 1 year prove it deal, but that would be the highest I think Mikey boy would go.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 05:38 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Indeed...so its not like Brown is being negligent - he turned up in shape and as light as he can probably get too but its square peg , round hole still.

The other thing to consider is that whilst his strength is meant to be the running game that does not include running QB's... with others he's trying to chase down in space the likes of Lamar Jackson, Murray, Josh Allen, Minshew - again he's going to struggle with that.

Speaking of QBs Rushing we have given up 292 yards Rushing to QBs over the past three weeks.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 08:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So then the new DC is to blame?

That is my theory.

Even the people who love to shit on Vigil and Brown have to admit that we have some talented DBs who have looked good in the past (Jackson, Bates, Kirkpatrick).  I can't believe that all of our players have just suddenly forgot how to play.  

And most of the big plays seem to be the result of busted coverage or missed assignments more than guys just getting beaten badly one-on-one. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 10:07 AM)Bengalitis Wrote:   I have a feeling they are responsible for who was signed too, not Mike Brown.

Yeah, right, because Mike Brown always signed top free agent talent before these guys arrived.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote