Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty sick and tired of the Reds extended Home run celebrations
I'm sure I'm going to come across as the old man curmudgeon yelling "get off my lawn", but oh, well.

We are in the "extra" live ball era. Home runs happen now, far more than ever before.

Winker and Dietrich had career highs by May. It shouldn't be so shocking when somebody hits a home run. Champions act like they expect it to happen . . . the Reds act like they won a walk off with almost every home run.

"HOLY SHIT, GUYS!!! DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!"

Grow up, please. You're supposed to be a professional.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
This cracks me up. Fans lose their shit when a player hits a home run, but the player who has worked his ass off to be able to hit that home run is not supposed to celebrate?

Let them celebrate. They worked hard to get to the majors and hit a home run off a major league pitcher. They deserve it.
Reply/Quote
Act like you've been there before.  No need to show up your fellow competitors...

I remember that well, clear back from midget league football.  We had a hot shot RB that was a real burner.  He scored on a long run, and was in the other team's faces with his "celebration".  Coach yanked him from the game, he also had to do punishment running after every practice the following week.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This cracks me up.  Fans lose their shit when a player hits a home run, but the player who has worked his ass off to be able to hit that home run is not supposed to celebrate?

Let them celebrate.  They worked hard to get to the majors and hit a home run off a major league pitcher.  They deserve it.

Where did I say not celebrate? I love watching Suarez homer but what I'm tired of is the celebration with Dietrich, go through the routine, then do the same celebration with Winker but with a slight difference, then do another similar celebration with Votto with a stupid spin around, THEN, FINALLY go into the dugout. This reeks of a stupid WR that planned TD celebrations for every team even though he only scored in half of the games in a season once. 

Also getting tired off Winker yelling **** YEAH!!! before going down into the dugout. There are a lot of kids there. Like I said, grow up. Winning teams don't act like that.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
I swear I will never complain about a Cincinnati team scoring points.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 11:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I swear I will never complain about a Cincinnati team scoring points.

Yeah this team is watchable for the first time since 2013.  I ain't gonna get too upset at them for having fun.  These guys seem to like playing with each other.  They can do what they want as far as I'm concerned.
Reply/Quote
Of all the things I never thought I'd see when the Reds finally started winning again was people complain about them being happy to be winning. I guess they should just win, but never indicate any joy over the fact. 
But hey, if you find joy so repulsive there IS an on and off button on your TV. You really aren't forced to participate. It's purely optional.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 11:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I swear I will never complain about a Cincinnati team scoring points.

Yes, because that is exactly what I was saying . . . in a not even close kind of way.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 02:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: Of all the things I never thought I'd see when the Reds finally started winning again was people complain about them being happy to be winning. I guess they should just win, but never indicate any joy over the fact. 
But hey, if you find joy so repulsive there IS an on and off button on your TV. You really aren't forced to participate. It's purely optional.

1) They still have a losing record so they are not winning. The main reason that they are still a last place club right now is because their hitting has been one of the worst in all of MLB(27th, 14th in the NL).

2) I'm not complaining about the celebrations when they win. Hitting a Home Run does not equate to a win.

3) I don't find joy repulsive . . . as I made the earlier comparison with Chad Johnson, just because you succeeded for a play doesn't give you license to act like a fool. 

When we moved to Alaska in 1976, I didn't have my Reds propaganda to read everyday in the paper so I picked an AL team, the Angels. I have MLB.tv so I try to watch both teams everyday when I can. Maybe I'm missing it but are there other MLB teams that have the HR celebration lineup before entering the dugout? I watch lots of games every week and I don't see it anywhere. Not even once in a while with a late inning/game changing Home Run. High fives on the way to the dugout don't count. I'm asking are there other teams with a celebration lineup? Where players come out of the dugout so they can do their signature dance? The only one I see is in Cincinnati and I think it looks stupid. Spend more time in the batting cage and less time working on your dance routine with other men.

psychdoctor has this as a sig. I think my complaint fits this a Hell of a lot more than anything of what you all deciphered in this thread.
-Paul Brown

“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

Another one mentioned above by SunsetBengal was "Act like you've been there before"(George Halas maybe?).

I certainly don't have a problem with a guy being excited because he just crushed one. I used the phrase "extended Home Run celebrations" in the thread title for a reason. Apparently, in Cinci-tucky speak, that means I hate scoring and I hate winning. 

You know what I hate? I hate watching a team suck for years, then finally get their shit together but under a "player's coach". When they finally face a real team in the playoffs, they have piss running down their legs during the National Anthem and then spend the rest of the game/series standing around waiting for someone else to make a play while the other team came prepared to win. Maybe you're all conditioned to it, I'm not.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
I’m very old school too. I just don’t like cocky people in any aspect of life. These guys make so much money though that it’s easy for them to be arrogant. I just roll my eyes and take it for what it is. Famous people have many people that treat them like gods and the famous people begin to believe it. I’ve just never been a worshipper of any one person. I would drive to a game and pay to watch it but I wouldn’t drive to the stadium just to meet a player for free. I like certain famous people but in the grand scheme of life they’re no more important than any of us on here.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 10:12 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote:  Winning teams don't act like that.

Yes they do.  Baseball players are starting to celebrate more.

Like I said, I don't know why people have a problem with this.  Why aren't you bitching at all the fans? they celebrate more than the players and they have done NOTHING to deserve the right.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 02:35 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m very old school too. I just don’t like cocky people in any aspect of life. These guys make so much money though that it’s easy for them to be arrogant. I just roll my eyes and take it for what it is. Famous people have many people that treat them like gods and the famous people begin to believe it. I’ve just never been a worshipper of any one person. I would drive to a game and pay to watch it but I wouldn’t drive to the stadium just to meet a player for free. I like certain famous people but in the grand scheme of life they’re no more important than any of us on here.

A lot of people who hate on professional athletes are just jealous.

I don't look up to professional athletes regarding their opinions on politics or anything like that, but the things they do on the field are amazing.  They are like the top 1% of the top 1% and they get their because they have worked their asses off.  When they do amazing things I think it is worth celebrating.

Many people who hate celebrations are just mad because when they were a kid the better athletes made them look bad and talked trash about it.
Reply/Quote
Should do a poll on this with your age group attached. I bet you’ll see a strong divide between older and younger fans. Times change, the game changes. It’s a game, it’s entertainment, have fun. I’ve never given a **** if players or fans want to celebrate. ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people who hate on professional athletes are just jealous.

I don't look up to professional athletes regarding their opinions on politics or anything like that, but the things they do on the field are amazing.  They are like the top 1% of the top 1% and they get their because they have worked their asses off.  When they do amazing things I think it is worth celebrating.

Many people who hate celebrations are just mad because when they were a kid the better athletes made them look bad and talked trash about it.

Life’s too short to waste time on being jealous of anyone. You’re right, obviously they’re more talented at baseball than any of us on here. I like to think that most of us hard core baseball fans were decent players at one time, maybe I’m way off base on that. I don’t hate celebrations, I just find over the top celebrating annoying. It’s nothing worth getting mad about, it just looks immature. Everyone likes different things though, so I’m in no way saying that you’re wrong. I could especially see young males liking that kind of cockiness. It’s not about being jealous of talent. A lot of us older guys like watching the walk softly and carry a big stick players and find that more smooth than the in your face guys. It’s all good though, we all dig different things!
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 02:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Should do a poll on this with your age group attached. I bet you’ll see a strong divide between older and younger fans. Times change, the game changes. It’s a game, it’s entertainment, have fun. I’ve never given a **** if players or fans want to celebrate. ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!

Yep! I think that if the game is ruined for you because of how a player celebrates that you’re taking it way too seriously. Dietrich is my least favorite player but I would love to see him hit 70 homeruns because that helps the Reds win. I’m hoping that his mega slump brings him back to earth and he can get back on track. It looks like a lot of players are swinging out of their shoes right now.
Reply/Quote
Were the sleeveless uniforms ok or too much fun? Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
The thing that gets me (a little bit) about it is pitchers are basically free to celebrate all they want and very, very, little if anything is said. Why the double standard ?

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the 4 second stare downs and mega bat flips either. I think there's a point where it goes to far. But in the end I'm more in the let them have fun camp than not.
Reply/Quote
The only reason I would say not to celebrate is because the opposing pitcher might plunk you with a 100mph fastball and cause injury. That's what they used to do more often. That's old school.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of people who hate on professional athletes are just jealous.

I don't know about the jealousy aspect and don't particularly care either way, but I do recall one guy from HS who played in the minor leagues, last name West is all I remember about him other than being able to just about break my fingers every time he threw the ball to me.. I remember thinking at the time he'd become a big star.. It never happened..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
[Image: K1361.png]
Reply/Quote