Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty sick and tired of the Reds extended Home run celebrations
(07-05-2019, 06:18 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm sure I'm going to come across as the old man curmudgeon yelling "get off my lawn", but oh, well.

This was my immediate reaction when reading the post title.  Happy to see you owned it in the first sentence.  

As for me, I don't really care so much about the celebration itself, what is says about the batter or any allegiance to the fundamentals of the game, etc...  I'm more concerned with the time consumed.  Game is too long for most viewers as it is.  Need to do anything possible to speed things up.  Like you said, that juiced ball and the ensuing autoeroticwhirleybirding is eating up any gains made through other efforts to shave time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 11:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes they do.  Baseball players are starting to celebrate more.
Excellent, then you should have no problem providing evidence of this other than some old guy said something on a message board.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 01:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Excellent, then you should have no problem providing evidence of this other than some old guy said something on a message board.

No problem.  I love to educate.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/5/15/8601875/mlb-celebrations-international-game
MLB players talk about celebrations and the changing culture of the game
37 comments

Celebrations are becoming more prevalent in baseball, breaking what used to be an unwritten rule. So we asked the players what they thought.

[Image: 040208_gif_hou_celebrations.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: mh659u.jpg]

[Image: Vizquel-Alvarez-Dance.gif]

[Image: 30k6s1h.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 09:23 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The only reason I would say not to celebrate is because the opposing pitcher might plunk you with a 100mph fastball and cause injury. That's what they used to do more often. That's old school.

That always struck me as the biggest chickenshit move in sports.

It is  like trying to injury a RB in the pile after a tackle just because you can't stop him from running through your defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: 040208_gif_hou_celebrations.gif]

Post game win celebration . . . expected, not what I was talking about.

Excited after hitting a big hit . . . expected, not what I was talking about

Dance inside the dugout . . . looks stupid but I'm totally fine with it, not what I was talking about

[Image: mh659u.jpg]

Uh-oh, you got me, sort of . . . I still don't see guys that aren't even in the lineup come out onto the field to get their chance to "cut in" on the dance, like Winker or Dietrich do. And the Blue Jays are 23 games under .500. Where are the winning teams with a home run celebration lineup?

[Image: Vizquel-Alvarez-Dance.gif]
in the dugout, fine . . . still 23 games under .500

[Image: 30k6s1h.jpg]
Again, the other players stayed in the dugout, 23 games under .500
Before you try to educate, read and learn about the topic.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 12:50 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Were the sleeveless uniforms ok or too much fun? Sarcasm

Lol... The guys looked like Big Klu but hit like Little Billy.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 03:22 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Before you try to educate, read and learn about the topic.

I read everything you wrote.  Don't blame me .  I had no idea you would suddenly be fine with any celebration from any team as long as it was not the Reds.

Seriously, how can you be fine with all those celebrations but be upset over what the Reds do?  You are just splitting hairs in order to shit on the Reds.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I read everything you wrote.  Don't blame me .  I had no idea you would suddenly be fine with any celebration from any team as long as it was not the Reds.

Seriously, how can you be fine with all those celebrations but be upset over what the Reds do?  You are just splitting hairs in order to shit on the Reds.

It appears that you did not read post #9 in this thread. I had already addressed most of what you posted in your example, doesn't sound like you read that post before looking up "MLB Celebrations"
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:35 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: It appears that you did not read post #9 in this thread. I had already addressed most of what you posted in your example, doesn't sound like you read that post before looking up "MLB Celebrations"

The post where you claimed that no other team had home run celebrations outside of the dugout?  Yeah, I read that, but when I proved you wrong you claimed they did not count because the Blue Jays have a losing record.  

Did you read the article I linked where it talked about the increase in celebrations in MLB?
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 06:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You know what I hate? I hate watching a team suck for years, then finally get their shit together but under a "player's coach". When they finally face a real team in the playoffs, they have piss running down their legs during the National Anthem and then spend the rest of the game/series standing around waiting for someone else to make a play while the other team came prepared to win. Maybe you're all conditioned to it, I'm not.

You know what I hate?  When some guy on a message board tries to talk tough and act like he is better than everyone else.

What does any of this have to do with celebrations?  Nothing.  
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The post where you claimed that no other team had home run celebrations outside of the dugout?  Yeah, I read that, but when I proved you wrong you claimed they did not count because the Blue Jays have a losing record.  

Did you read the article I linked where it talked about the increase in celebrations in MLB?

You never proved me wrong. 

You quoted one sentence of my post . . . "Winning teams don't act like that".

Then you said Yes they do

I asked you to provide proof of this then. Then, when you failed, you claim I said it didn't count because the Blue Jays don't have a winning record.

You have to do better than that to put words in my mouth.

Here's where you're not proving me wrong, from post #9

Maybe I'm missing it but are there other MLB teams that have the HR celebration lineup before entering the dugout? I watch lots of games every week and I don't see it anywhere. Not even once in a while with a late inning/game changing Home Run. High fives on the way to the dugout don't count. I'm asking are there other teams with a celebration lineup? Where players come out of the dugout so they can do their signature dance? The only one I see is in Cincinnati and I think it looks stupid. Spend more time in the batting cage and less time working on your dance routine with other men.

also from post #9

I certainly don't have a problem with a guy being excited because he just crushed one. I used the phrase "extended Home Run celebrations" in the thread title for a reason. Apparently, in Cinci-tucky speak, that means I hate scoring and I hate winning.

Not surprised that I have to repeat this to you.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what I hate?  When some guy on a message board tries to talk tough and act like he is better than everyone else.

What does any of this have to do with celebrations?  Nothing.  

LOL, I'm not surprised you don't get it.

People that can't control their emotions usually choke when pressure kicks in . . . Example : Recent Cincinnati sports playoff history.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 05:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL, I'm not surprised you don't get it.

People that can't control their emotions usually choke when pressure kicks in . . . Example : Recent Cincinnati sports playoff history.

What do celebrations have to do with "controlling emotions"?

Ever hear of a guy named Deion Sanders?  Or the 85 Chicago Bears?  Reggie Jackson?  Usain Bolt?  How did those guys perform under pressure?

And when I was growing up you know who the most hated "hot dog" in MLB was?  Pete Rose.

The Houston Astros won a world series a year ago, and they are celebrating all over the field.  Running out of the dugouts to feed players gummy bears for hitting home runs.  Conga lines in the dugouts.  Bouncing on the field like kids after victories.  
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do celebrations have to do with "controlling emotions"?

Ever hear of a guy named Deion Sanders?  Or the 85 Chicago Bears?  Reggie Jackson?  Usain Bolt?  How did those guys perform under pressure?

And when I was growing up you know who the most hated "hot dog" in MLB was?  Pete Rose.

The Houston Astros won a world series a year ago, and they are celebrating all over the field.  Running out of the dugouts to feed players gummy bears for hitting home runs.  Conga lines in the dugouts.  Bouncing on the field like kids after victories.  
You keep trying to present a case against a stance that I'm not trying to make. Apparently "Extended Home Run Celebrations" now means all celebrations, anybody that shows emotion or anyone considered a hot dog in any sport. 

I used the word "usually" in my previous post, which, does not mean 100%. You then came up with six, mostly poor, examples, from multiple sports, stretching back over 50 years. *golf clap* And a little FYI, Pete Rose is still one of the most hated people in all of baseball.

fredtoast math . . . 1 home run in the first inning by the, 5 year running, last place, Cincinnati Reds equates to a first time ever World Series Championship by a team playing in a city recovering from a natural disaster. Emotions are exactly the same on that one, good call, bro.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Chalk one up for stoicism .. Lou Gehrig's "Today..day..day..day..I feel..eel...eel...Like the luckiest...uckiest..uckiest man..an...an..on the face of the earth...rth...rth.."  (sounds of voice echoing) 
If we had it the way some people wanted it nobody would be allowed to even show even the least amount of joy while others might have players throwing a grand ball for getting a first down on any given play..  You can't please everyone so there's really no use in pretending you can.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't mind the celebrations. They're playing a game.

It is amusing, however, how shook it makes the Reds' opponents. They really don't like seeing their opponents enjoying themselves.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 06:05 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't mind the celebrations. They're playing a game.

It is amusing, however, how shook it makes the Reds' opponents. They really don't like seeing their opponents enjoying themselves.

I'm beginning to think the Pirates are infected with the same thing the Steelers are.  They throw at people's heads and then get pissy when someone doinks them back.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 06:18 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm sure I'm going to come across as the old man curmudgeon yelling "get off my lawn", but oh, well.

We are in the "extra" live ball era. Home runs happen now, far more than ever before.

Winker and Dietrich had career highs by May. It shouldn't be so shocking when somebody hits a home run. Champions act like they expect it to happen . . . the Reds act like they won a walk off with almost every home run.

"HOLY SHIT, GUYS!!! DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!"

Grow up, please. You're supposed to be a professional.

Every team in baseball does it.  Like it or not, welcome to the 21st century.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote