Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price of Justice
So I'm sitting here, after just getting off work, having a drink and watching the movie A Time to Kill. Good movie IMO, but it got me to thinking, that and the thread about the rape that the young man got an incredibly light sentence. How is justice served, if justice is dependent on how good of an attorney you can hire (if you can hire one at all)? How is justice served when someone well off can get away almost scottfree while someone who is not can get railroaded for something minor? Isn't justice supposed to be blind? I don't know what the answer is, but something seems wrong to me.

I understand that there are all kinds of attorneys, corporate, estate planning, taxes...ect. They're necessary, however when it comes to putting people away (or whatever severe penalties, monetary or otherwise deem necessary) it seems tilted in favor of the wealthy.

Thoughts
(06-08-2016, 02:00 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So I'm sitting here, after just getting off work, having a drink and watching the movie A Time to Kill.  Good movie IMO, but it got me to thinking, that and the thread about the rape that the young man got an incredibly light sentence.  How is justice served, if justice is dependent on how good of an attorney you can hire (if you can hire one at all)?  How is justice served when someone well off can get away almost scottfree while someone who is not can get railroaded for something minor?  Isn't justice supposed to be blind?  I don't know what the answer is, but something seems wrong to me.

I understand that there are all kinds of attorneys, corporate, estate planning, taxes...ect. They're necessary, however when it comes to putting people away (or whatever severe penalties, monetary or otherwise deem necessary) it seems tilted in favor of the wealthy.

Thoughts

I agree with you that it seems more and more it comes down to who makes the law work for them.    Justice is an odd thing in that can there ever be any real justice here?  Flawed people can hardly deal out justice.    The only true Justice any of us will see is when we stand in front of God.   
(06-08-2016, 02:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree with you that it seems more and more it comes down to who makes the law work for them.    Justice is an odd thing in that can there ever be any real justice here?  Flawed people can hardly deal out justice.    The only true Justice any of us will see is when we stand in front of God.   

Which god?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-08-2016, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Which god?

[Image: cthulhu_and_the_ninth_wave_by_fantasio-d9nw88r.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-08-2016, 02:00 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So I'm sitting here, after just getting off work, having a drink and watching the movie A Time to Kill.  Good movie IMO, but it got me to thinking, that and the thread about the rape that the young man got an incredibly light sentence.  How is justice served, if justice is dependent on how good of an attorney you can hire (if you can hire one at all)?  How is justice served when someone well off can get away almost scottfree while someone who is not can get railroaded for something minor?  Isn't justice supposed to be blind?  I don't know what the answer is, but something seems wrong to me.

Thoughts

Like everything in society, the more money you have, the easier it is for you to get access to things. That includes better lawyers. It certainly isn't fair, but how could it ever be?

(06-08-2016, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Which god?

hope its not the mormon god, then it gets really confusing
People suck
(06-08-2016, 09:47 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Like everything in society, the more money you have, the easier it is for you to get access to things. That includes better lawyers. It certainly isn't fair, but how could it ever be?

Well that's the purpose of my thread.  How could it be?  Seems there should be a more fair system.  Think about it, you make a mistake and because you don't know the details of the law  and the prosecutors do, you pay heavily.  Or because you can pay for hot shot lawyer that knows the details you can literally get away with murder.  It comes down to whether or not you have money, how is that fair?  That's not justice IMO.
(06-08-2016, 12:44 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Well that's the purpose of my thread.  How could it be?  Seems there should be a more fair system.  Think about it, you make a mistake and because you don't know the details of the law  and the prosecutors do, you pay heavily.  Or because you can pay for hot shot lawyer that knows the details you can literally get away with murder.  It comes down to whether or not you have money, how is that fair?  That's not justice IMO.

Agreed.
OJ in a nutshell.

(06-08-2016, 01:13 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Agreed.
OJ in a nutshell.

I'm wondering, and I'm just spit ballin here...if there could be a better way?  Both parties involved represented by the state?  Both parties represented by private parties?  Why one party would seem to have endless resources while the other does not.  I think both should be represented by the same entity, either public or private.  I just think they're could be a better way.
(06-08-2016, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote:

I agree, however it doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to make it so.  Besides I was tired of reading the same old bull shit in here with both sides taking pot shots at each other and thought this was a more worthwhile discussion.
(06-08-2016, 09:47 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Like everything in society, the more money you have, the easier it is for you to get access to things. That includes better lawyers. It certainly isn't fair, but how could it ever be?

I certainly understand this, but i'm wondering if both parties were represented by the same entity?  My example would be, that the government already has a Prosecuter, why not a public defender?  Now before you say "there is a public defender", again I understand this.  But do they really have your interest in mind?  One is funded by the government, one is Pro-bono.  How is this fair?
(06-08-2016, 12:44 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Well that's the purpose of my thread.  How could it be?  Seems there should be a more fair system.  Think about it, you make a mistake and because you don't know the details of the law  and the prosecutors do, you pay heavily.  Or because you can pay for hot shot lawyer that knows the details you can literally get away with murder.  It comes down to whether or not you have money, how is that fair?  That's not justice IMO.

The only way for it to be fair is for everyone to get access to the same quality of lawyer. That won't happen. 

(06-08-2016, 01:36 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I agree, however it doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to make it so.  Besides I was tired of reading the same old bull shit in here with both sides taking pot shots at each other and thought this was a more worthwhile discussion.

I agree, I'm just of the mindset that admitting and accepting that life isn't fair is the first step to fixing things.  People are big fans of failing to recognize all the little things that went their way while pointing out all those that go the ways of others. Americans are particular interesting as we like to puff up how awesome our country is and how great it is just to be here BUT we also want to brag about how people aren't entitled to anything and brag about how we never had anything handed to us.

It's quite interesting.
(06-08-2016, 01:44 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I certainly understand this, but i'm wondering if both parties were represented by the same entity?  My example would be, that the government already has a Prosecuter, why not a public defender?  Now before you say "there is a public defender", again I understand this.  But do they really have your interest in mind?  One is funded by the government, one is Pro-bono.  How is this fair?

(06-08-2016, 01:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The only way for it to be fair is for everyone to get access to the same quality of lawyer. That won't happen. 

Maybe if the prosecutor and the public defender were both represented by the state?
(06-08-2016, 01:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree, I'm just of the mindset that admitting and accepting that life isn't fair is the first step to fixing things.  People are big fans of failing to recognize all the little things that went their way while pointing out all those that go the ways of others.  Americans are particular interesting as we like to puff up how awesome our country is and how great it is just to be here BUT we also want to brag about how people aren't entitled to anything and brag about how we never had anything handed to us.

It's quite interesting.

I totally agree life isn't fair and that you should be grateful for all the shit that went your way! especially when it shouldn't have...lol.
However for a better legal system I think it's a worthwhile discussion.  I'm of the mind set that neither party should be influenced by money (either by how much or little you have).
Money doesn't let a person get away with everything. Just ask Mike Tyson and Aaron Hernandez.
(06-08-2016, 02:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree with you that it seems more and more it comes down to who makes the law work for them.    Justice is an odd thing in that can there ever be any real justice here?  Flawed people can hardly deal out justice.    The only true Justice any of us will see is when we stand in front of God.   

So you oppose capital punishment?
(06-08-2016, 01:53 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Maybe if the prosecutor and the public defender were both represented by the state?

Conflict of interest. There would be a legal challenge if that was every forced (basically making all criminal lawyers public). 

Let me ask this hypothetical, if the kid was poor & black from the 'hood' at that party and raped that unconscious girl, would he have gotten the same sentence? Heck he doesnt have to be black, he could be latino or white from the hood. I am guessing that there would be a much stiffer sentence handed out in the exact same trial.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V