Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Actuality of the 2018 NFL Draft
Don't be surprised when the Bengals take a DE in either one or both of the first 2 rounds this season.

We all know that the management team love their BPA philosophy. They've stuck with it the past 7-8 years, with moderate success, and will not stop now.

Carlos Dunlap is gone in 2019. They will want Atkins and not be able to pay both. Cheap or not, it would be very un-Bengals like to resign both.

Michael Johnson is gone in 2019. Bye Felicia.

That leaves the team with Lawson, Willis, and...nobody else at the DE position.

They view DE as arguably the most important position on the defense.

They don't love Willis. He is unproven, and want someone more athletic.

Lawson will not be enough.

I fully expect them to grab Arden Key, Harold Landry, or Marcus Davenport in round 1. They may trade back, but they will still grab one of these three players.

If all are gone by then, then in round 2 they will take the best DE available.

It's gonna happen.
Reply/Quote
Yea....no
Reply/Quote
Geno will re-sign before the season and Dunlap will re-sign after being tagged next year...
Reply/Quote
If they target a DE or two in a proactive attempt to fill a hole, how is that sticking with the BPA philosophy that they love and have employed for the past 7-8 years? That's the opposite of BPA. 
Reply/Quote
Besides, this is an extremely weak DE class.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 05:20 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Don't be surprised when the Bengals take a DE in either one or both of the first 2 rounds this season.

We all know that the management team love their BPA philosophy. They've stuck with it the past 7-8 years, with moderate success, and will not stop now.

Carlos Dunlap is gone in 2019. They will want Atkins and not be able to pay both. Cheap or not, it would be very un-Bengals like to resign both.

Michael Johnson is gone in 2019. Bye Felicia.

That leaves the team with Lawson, Willis, and...nobody else at the DE position.

They view DE as arguably the most important position on the defense.

They don't love Willis. He is unproven, and want someone more athletic.

Lawson will not be enough.

I fully expect them to grab Arden Key, Harold Landry, or Marcus Davenport in round 1. They may trade back, but they will still grab one of these three players.

If all are gone by then, then in round 2 they will take the best DE available.

It's gonna happen.

Uhh....Jordan Willis is athletic.
He was a top 5 performer in the following Combine drills for DL:
40 yard dash
vert
3-cone
shuttle
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jordan-willis?id=2557884

Also, he was ranked 2nd overall in SPARQ score behind only Myles Garrett.
https://3sigmaathlete.com/archive/2017s/edge/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 05:20 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: They view DE as arguably the most important position on the defense.

Disagree.  They view CB as the most important position on defense, and it's not even close.  I definitely don't see them using both of their first two picks on DEs.  Maybe one or the other if someone drops significantly -- like Chubb in 1 or Landry in 2 -- but I don't see that happening.  If they draft Key in the first I'll puke ...

BTW, last time they went DE in Rd. 1?  Justin Smith in 2001.  They grabbed Pollack in '05, but he was drafted to play OLB. 
Reply/Quote
Did i miss something? Did the Bengals suddenly not have cap space this year?

They will get one done this year and get one done next year. There is absolutely no reason that we would take a DE in round 1 unless Chubb is there.

I actually think this team is pretty good at DE right now - Lawson, Dunlap, Willis are good players. I wouldn't be shocked to see them add one in round 3 or 4.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 04:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Did i miss something?  Did the Bengals suddenly not have cap space this year?  

They will get one done this year and get one done next year.  There is absolutely no reason that we would take a DE in round 1 unless Chubb is there.

I actually think this team is pretty good at DE right now - Lawson, Dunlap, Willis are good players.  I wouldn't be shocked to see them add one in round 3 or 4.

Perhaps even as early as Round 2 with Rasheem Green to groom him for a year. He could fill the "base 4-3 DE who swings inside on passing downs" role quite well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote