Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prime Time Games
(09-10-2015, 04:05 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The people who already have a spot on the team half ass it in the preseason. They already know they have a spot. They are just out there getting a few reps. Just because someone looked really good or really bad doesn't mean anything on the upcoming season. For people like RG3 and the Bills QB they were playing for the starting spot. They were trying to get the spot on the team, because they obviously don't have it locked up. Preseason is pretty much only for the players who may or may not make the team.

Makes sense. Complacency is a very dangerous thing. Not to even mention what it shows the young guys... 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 12:50 AM)Shady Wrote: Well, the Tampa Bay game didn't do anything to suggest that we'll see any changes in our Prime Time performance. Even if it was "just a preseason game," there's no excuse for coming out that flat. Listening to Dalton's press conference today, I think I'm hearing a little more maturity and seeing a little more maturity from him. We'll see how it translates into his performance and his leadership on the field.

it was the kick in the butt they needed.... And at least that came in the preseason
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 01:50 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Makes sense. Complacency is a very dangerous thing. Not to even mention what it shows the young guys... 

Well most of the vets just trying not to get hurt....

But when you play a team like tampa where probly most roster spots are up for grabs everyone was playing with fire... Its like when the jets beat us in the preseason that one year after we destroyed them in the regular season it made them feel good but overall didnt mean much.
Reply/Quote
Look at last year's games vs. Denver and Pittsburgh.

The Denver game was great and the team played very well.

The team also played pretty well against Pittsburgh on the road. Had a chance to win it late. My qualms about prime time games are much less than they have been in previous years.
Reply/Quote
Dalton also played very well in the NE game.

They are almost there they just need to put it all together.

IMO Big game woes still go back to the coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of our prime time struggles have more to do with the teams we've faced rather than the time we play them. Pittsburgh is obviously no slouch. Almost nobody wins in New England. The Browns were rolling when we played them and we always split the series with them. And if you want to count the playoffs, the argument is the same.

I think it has more to do with game-planning then the players' performances. We always seem completely unprepared offensively and defensively. I don't know why that is, but logic tells me it's coaching. Sure, the team can absolutely play better and deserve blame.

But it starts at the top. It always does.
Reply/Quote
I can't say that we were unprepared last year vs. the Colts.

Defense played very well with limited players and the offense was as expected with the missing pieces.

Hue did show some creativity with Bulkhead in the Colts game. All signs from last year's primetime games at the end of the year are encouraging.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 04:05 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The people who already have a spot on the team half ass it in the preseason. They already know they have a spot. They are just out there getting a few reps. Just because someone looked really good or really bad doesn't mean anything on the upcoming season. For people like RG3 and the Bills QB they were playing for the starting spot. They were trying to get the spot on the team, because they obviously don't have it locked up. Preseason is pretty much only for the players who may or may not make the team.
I believe there are players that believe just what you said. They happen to be the ones who are mid-tier players at best at their position. Unfortunately the Bengals have a few of these type of guys in very important spots.
To your logic these type of non-competitive (***** type of players) only get up to play if their pay is in jeopardy.
Great competitors play to win at everything. You think Larry Bird, Jordan, Montana, Tyson, or Brady would not try to dismantle anyone in a pick up ping-pong game?
Like I said, I believe your mentality is shared by a few of our players. Your favorite for sure to point one out.
Some guys hate losing more than they like winning, whether it's a pre-season game or the playoffs. Those are the guys that become champions the other are just also-ran's.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 08:41 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: I believe there are players that believe just what you said. They happen to be the ones who are mid-tier players at best at their position. Unfortunately the Bengals have a few of these type of guys in very important spots.
To your logic these type of non-competitive (***** type of players) only get up to play if their pay is in jeopardy.
Great competitors play to win at everything. You think Larry Bird, Jordan, Montana, Tyson, or Brady would not try to dismantle anyone in a pick up ping-pong game?
Like I said, I believe your mentality is shared by a few of our players. Your favorite for sure to point one out.
Some guys hate losing more than they like winning, whether it's a pre-season game or the playoffs. Those are the guys that become champions the other are just also-ran's.

Why would they give 100% so teams can just get that extra film on them? Preseason means nothing. Smart players and coaches don't show their hand when it doesn't matter. Come back when we have a bye week in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 09:04 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Why would they give 100% so teams can just get that extra film on them? Preseason means nothing. Smart players and coaches don't show their hand when it doesn't matter. Come back when we have a bye week in the postseason.

You are great! I mean you really believe you have all the answers like you would have any idea what the coaches and players think!
Did the coaches not come out and say it was a poor performance? This is why you sound like a clown. Even when the people you seemed to believe you are elected to speak for say different you still dribble on with your youth league knowledge.
You speak like a know it all...how about you only come back if this team gets a bye in the first round of the play offs?
Or if this team does get a bye the first week Of the playoffs I will never post here again....if the they don't you have to go away. Either way I win as I would gladly give up my handle here in trade for a playoff win. What do you say?
Reply/Quote
Zims sure had those Vikes ready for Prime Time.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zims sure had those Vikes ready for Prime Time.

Well played, sir, well played.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zims sure had those Vikes ready for Prime Time.

Not to go nuts with the IFs and BUTs but the Vikings got robbed out of a TD when they didn't call that blatant PI in the endzone.  That was a real punch in the gut for sure.  Perhaps everyone just got too high on the Vikings and too low on the 49ers, because that game was just bad on both sides.
Reply/Quote

Quote from Zimmer "You know, maybe we're just not ready for prime time yet."

chip off the ol Marvin coaching block Ninja
Reply/Quote
Both teams looked inept out there.

The 49ers were turnover junkies and the Vikes made Carlos Hyde look like Barry Sanders with their poor gap alignments.
Reply/Quote