Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prince and Hill were terrible
They are terrible they both need replaced asap.
Reply/Quote
Replaced with what lol. You got a constructive answer? We didn’t address depth and now we have some injuries… this is how it goes when you’re paper thin at a few position groups.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:34 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: They are terrible they both need replaced asap.

lol no they don't, wtf?

They are backups for a reason and Prince wasn't wholly-bad; he just had some really biting plays at bad times (and the hands to the face was a bit iffy). His role as a heavy TE/1st OT off the bench is fine, but I wouldn't want him starting consistently.

Hill had a bad game from top to bottom. He did get to the second level a few times, but those penalties were really bad and some of the snaps were off.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
While they weren't fantastic, I do think there were flashes of good yesterday. If you really want to hammer any of the o-line, hammer Jonah Williams. He's to blame for the strip sack that messed up Burrow's throwing-hand pinky.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:41 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: While they weren't fantastic, I do think there were flashes of good yesterday. If you really want to hammer any of the o-line, hammer Jonah Williams. He's to blame for the strip sack that messed up Burrow's throwing-hand pinky.

1. Joe needed to step up in the pocket, so that sack was on both of them; as has been mentioned numerous times, if you block the guys 10 feet out of the play, but the QB is right there with you, there's not much you can do to continue to block them, outside of hold them (Odom got his sack against Joe Thomas in '09 the same way; he bullrushed Thomas like 3-5 yards behind the LOS, but Derek Anderson just sat there and Odom had to literally take two steps to his left). If Nwosu was able to wrap up Joe, then Jonah didn't do a good job, but the fact that he was ran upfield getting blocked and had to have an outstretched finger touch the ball at the precise moment, tells me that Joe needed to step up more in the pocket.

2. The finger got dislocated on the play Burrow ran it in to the endzone; sounds ridiculous, but I think it was a Hill snap that dislocated it.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Joe needed to step up in the pocket, so that sack was on both of them; as has been mentioned numerous times, if you block the guys 10 feet out of the play, but the QB is right there with you, there's not much you can do to continue to block them, outside of hold them (Odom got his sack against Joe Thomas in '09 the same way; he bullrushed Thomas like 3-5 yards behind the LOS, but Derek Anderson just sat there and Odom had to literally take two steps to his left). If Nwosu was able to wrap up Joe, then Jonah didn't do a good job, but the fact that he was ran upfield getting blocked and had to have an outstretched finger touch the ball at the precise moment, tells me that Joe needed to step up more in the pocket.

2. The finger got dislocated on the play Burrow ran it in to the endzone; sounds ridiculous, but I think it was a Hill snap that dislocated it.

Totally agree on Burrow needing to step up in the pocket.  Normally he's pretty good at that.  Still young, though.  Burrow came out and said his pinky got dislocated on the strip sack, but that with the adrenaline he didn't feel it til that run to the end zone.  Weird.  I knew something was up when he was motioning everyone to stay off him after he scored.  ugh!  

The good news is this game didn't end our season, and some of our rooks are getting some playtime which is a good thing.  
Reply/Quote
Who here actually realizes Hill is a rookie who has not had significant playing time? Prince likewise is very green and only has had snaps in a jumbo package. This is what happens when your depth chart is very inexperienced. It was a calculated risk that ultimately came due.

And the strip was 100% on Burrow for not stepping up into the open pocket before throwing.
Reply/Quote
Prince and Hill clearly aren't ready to be starters, but it's unrealistic to think they are going to be anywhere close to good filling in.
Hill is a Day 3 rookie and Prince hasn't played much either after being out all year.
Prince has been solid as an extra OL though this season on limited snaps.

But this is what happens when your starters go out. Lesser talented players have to fill in. And going from a 4-11-1 team last year, the team likely can't afford to fill real quality depth because they need to try to get as many good starters with the resources they have first.

With that said, I'm 100% in favor of getting a new C next year. Gimme Linderbaum in the draft (although Bengals will probably draft too late for him) or go get Jason Kelce or Ben Jones in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 2. The finger got dislocated on the play Burrow ran it in to the endzone; sounds ridiculous, but I think it was a Hill snap that dislocated it.

Yeah, everyone keeps blaming the strip/sack play, but the first time that anything was noticeable with his finger was his rushing TD. The only contact he had on that play was on the snap, but as he’s getting into the endzone, he’s shaking off the pain with that finger.

Maybe the play before? It was just a handoff to Mixon, and he didn’t seem to be favoring it. It’s hard to tell.

I do not think that it was injured on the first drive. If so, he was doing an excellent job playing it off for a while.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The Mixon fumble which was final nail in our coffin. Hill and Prince got completely blown up on that play
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 2. The finger got dislocated on the play Burrow ran it in to the endzone; sounds ridiculous, but I think it was a Hill snap that dislocated it.

Joe said in his post-game press conference that he injured it on the strip-sack.  He explained that he hit it on something/someone and that he noticed the finger looked a bit wonky when he went to the sideline but it wasn't bothering him at that point so he ignored it.  Of course, if he had taken the time to relocate it at that point it probably wouldn't have swelled so badly.  It bothered him more as the half went on to where we saw him at the end of the half

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Some rookies get lucky and get to play in a Super Bowl, these two may be the ones.
Reply/Quote
They're not ready for the primetime, that's for sure. The penalties they got were at the most inopportune times. They got beat several times. They're young, and backups for a reason. Makes you appreciate Hopkins and Reiff even more.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Prince and Hill clearly aren't ready to be starters, but it's unrealistic to think they are going to be anywhere close to good filling in.
Hill is a Day 3 rookie and Prince hasn't played much either after being out all year.
Prince has been solid as an extra OL though this season on limited snaps.

But this is what happens when your starters go out. Lesser talented players have to fill in. And going from a 4-11-1 team last year, the team likely can't afford to fill real quality depth because they need to try to get as many good starters with the resources they have first.

With that said, I'm 100% in favor of getting a new C next year. Gimme Linderbaum in the draft (although Bengals will probably draft too late for him) or go get Jason Kelce or Ben Jones in FA.

What has happened to Fred Johnson? He played well at T I thought
Reply/Quote
I dont understand why they didnt put Carman at guard and Adeniji at tackle. I believe last year they had Adeniji practicing multiple positions. At least we know Carman can run block which was the Chargers weakness. The Chargers abused the right side of the line with blitzes all day. Spain also was awful but unsure if this was a product of working next to Hill.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:17 PM)kalibengal Wrote: What has happened to Fred Johnson? He played well at T I thought

I don't really know what happened to him, but he's been falling out of favor with the team, it seems.
Smith and Prince both leapfrogged Johnson.
Adeniji would probably be ahead of Johnson at OT too if he wasn't starting at RG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:19 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I dont understand why they didnt put Carman at guard and Adeniji at tackle. I believe last year they had Adeniji practicing multiple positions. At least we know Carman can run block which was the Chargers weakness. The Chargers abused the right side of the line with blitzes all day. Spain also was awful but unsure if this was a product of working next to Hill.

every game Hill has played its been a penalty fest and missed blocks..clearly needs more time to develop. So, why didnt we get another solid vet when we had the chance? Like Reiter or some of the others out there? We need good reliable depth and now its going to bite us in the ass the rest of way.  Also stung a bit as our X Dlineman Covington was wrecking us out there. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:00 PM)pally Wrote: Joe said in his post-game press conference that he injured it on the strip-sack.  He explained that he hit it on something/someone and that he noticed the finger looked a bit wonky when he went to the sideline but it wasn't bothering him at that point so he ignored it.  Of course, if he had taken the time to relocate it at that point it probably wouldn't have swelled so badly.  It bothered him more as the half went on to where we saw him at the end of the half

Seemed to be the obvious time when it got dislocated.

It was definitely on Jonah as well imo. 

Burrow did step up in pocket as far as he possibly could almost touching Spains backside even while trying to get rid of ball. 

Plus you could see the Joe's hand getting ripped when Jonah allowed the LBer to get around him and swat his bear claw at the ball. 

Not knocking Jonah, its football and it happens sometimes.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Chargers were 32nd against the run coming in so our replacements cant even look good against the 32nd run defense that is a problem guys on teams practice squads would have to perform better than that. Not to mention Bosa their best player got hurt early
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't really know what happened to him, but he's been falling out of favor with the team, it seems.
Smith and Prince both leapfrogged Johnson.
Adeniji would probably be ahead of Johnson at OT too if he wasn't starting at RG.

Think Fred was a Turner guy. JMO.
Reply/Quote