Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prince carted off
(08-18-2022, 05:19 PM)tms Wrote: I'd say his experience playing in the Super Bowl- and the road there- is valuable. It's certainly unique. His nerves are battle-tested. Guys off the street may have more raw talent (even that's debatable) but they're adjusting to more noise, including the lights and the big stage. Prince and Adeniji have already done that at the highest level. They may take (and warrant) abuse for their PFF scores, but they've seen it all. Given they're not starters anymore, they're almost the ideal bench players: they can step in seamlessly at any time in a way that's quite rare in the NFL.

We are the only fanbase in the NFL that reaches this hard to defend AWFUL players along the OL.  Why do other teams never have the issues we do?  Something is so wrong with our OL scouting and drafting and management. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:49 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: We are the only fanbase in the NFL that reaches this hard to defend AWFUL players along the OL.  Why do other teams never have the issues we do?  Something is so wrong with our OL scouting and drafting and management. 

Did you leave out coaching intentionally? 

Prince wasn't drafted by the Bengals. He was drafted by the Dolphins, didn't make the team, and got picked up by CIN when he was let go.
Turner didn't have any success with him in 2019, he opted out of 2020, and Pollack wasn't able to get him to blossom yet either.

He's a 6th rounder, so it's not like he should be expected to be great right away, but very, very few 6th round OL turn into good starters.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the OL starters aren't playing this preseason game and Prince is to be out, it will be REAL interesting to see who takes his spot.
Maybe we see Adeniji outside (for this preseason game at least)?

Everyone knows I'm not a fan of Prince's blocking ability, but I don't like seeing players get hurt (unless it's a Steeler  Cool )

Bengals are hopefully considering now two new OL to pick up between now and the season start.

Adeniji played some left tackle in the 1st preseason game and was very very bad at that position. Not sure if he played RT at all but that dude needs replaced.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Did you leave out coaching intentionally? 

Yes.  Im not gonna throw Pollack under the bus considering he inherited an absolute dumpster fire of an OL room. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Other than just the general need for anyone new to have time to acclimate to new offense, team, and city.
The earlier a player can be brought in before the regular season, the better they can be ready by Week 1.

They're professional football players, the last two points aren't excuses for performance, especially the city. They aren't being uprooted to Cambodia. Offense I will give you, but two weeks is enough for a lineman to get up to speed.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:30 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: After final roster cuts there will be some decent depth options out there, no need to sound the alarm people.

I agree, but I might temper those expectations a bit. This team just doesn't do that either. Last year they signed Wyatt Ray (Edge) and Nick McCloud (DB) after final cuts while OL depth was even more of an issue than it is today. And that's after a summer of watching free agents like Morgan Moses... Trai Turner... I can't remember the names now but it was one after the other, sign with other teams. Agonizing lol

I'm just grateful they bit the bullet and signed Collins, Cappa and Karras. But I don't expect any more than that, no matter what happens over the next few weeks. I'd say it's more likely they bring back a random dude like Keaton Sutherland (provided he gets cut by the 9ers) than it is that they'll pursue any stud sitting atop the free agency scrap heap. When it comes to OL, this team has their own criteria that even predates Frank Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:49 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: We are the only fanbase in the NFL that reaches this hard to defend AWFUL players along the OL.  Why do other teams never have the issues we do?  Something is so wrong with our OL scouting and drafting and management. 

I'm not defending the Bengals' line in any way but as someone who lives in New York (Jets, Giants), I can assure other teams do have those problems lol. Quite a few fanbases have pulmonary embolisms when talking about how poorly they protect their QBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:56 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Adeniji played some left tackle in the 1st preseason game and was very very bad at that position. Not sure if he played RT at all but that dude needs replaced.

But..who else is there?
Some rando rookie dude named Devin Cochran?
I've never even heard of that guy before today.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:12 PM)tms Wrote: I'm not defending the Bengals' line in any way but as someone who lives in New York (Jets, Giants), I can assure other teams do have those problems lol. Quite a few fanbases have pulmonary embolisms when talking about how poorly they protect their QBs.

the one good thing the jets do is draft solid o-linemen. the giants, yea, they've been a trainwreck with the o-line for a while now
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:03 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: They're professional football players, the last two points aren't excuses for performance, especially the city. They aren't being uprooted to Cambodia. Offense I will give you, but two weeks is enough for a lineman to get up to speed.

To what degree is up to speed? 100%?
There might be a small handful of players who can, but I can assure you not everyone can get to 100% in just 2 weeks time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the one good thing the jets do is draft solid o-linemen. 

Word. I mean I would share this with some of my NYJ fan friends but they would probably punch my lights out lmao 

It's all relative I guess is my point. Plenty of teams think they have it the worst. It's such an important part of the game but hard to measure, so we quite naturally get paranoid about it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:56 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Yes.  Im not gonna throw Pollack under the bus considering he inherited an absolute dumpster fire of an OL room. 

How long are you willing to give him?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks banking on players getting released during cuts must understand something we've never experienced before:

We are 31st in Waiver Wire priority. We need to send out feelers to teams that are thinking of cutting and offer up a little something.

That is what I was thinking myself. Would honestly be a good time to make some sort of trade to bring in a couple OL so 
they can get acclimated to the team before the season starts. I know Prince and Trey Hill played poorly last game but they
are still needed as depth, but I am sure we can get someone better for depth if we offer a team something.
Reply/Quote
To be honest Prince and Adeniji were the two I was hoping we could somehow get upgrades for before the season starts.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To what degree is up to speed? 100%?
There might be a small handful of players who can, but I can assure you not everyone can get to 100% in just 2 weeks time.

Yes 100%, these players are playing in the pre-season already and apart of training camp. We also aren't in the market for a C, which is the hardest position on the line to learn because of all the protections to call. But regardless of that, a back-up tackle(what Prince is) won't be playing in week one anyways. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But..who else is there?
Some rando rookie dude named Devin Cochran?
I've never even heard of that guy before today.

I wonder if D'nte smith will be able to go on Sunday? I'm guessing probably not but it would be good to see him. Yeah if Prince can't go than it could get especially ugly. I mean Adeniji looked so bad I don't think it's a matter of reps I just don't think he can play the position.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 05:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks banking on players getting released during cuts must understand something we've never experienced before:

We are 31st in Waiver Wire priority. We need to send out feelers to teams that are thinking of cutting and offer up a little something.

That only applies to players with 4 years experience or less.  That at least opens us up as a ring chaser spot.  Another poster mentioned trading for a vet, which I'm for.  They should call the Pats and offer a 7th for one of the descent backup tackles they'll have to cut.  That or see if a Brandon Shell type or a more versatile T/G will sign now that they'll only have to play one preseason game. 
Reply/Quote
Wonder what Isaiah Wilson is up to? Probably about 400 lbs.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 07:06 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Wonder what Isaiah Wilson is up to? Probably about 400 lbs.

He’s probably not an option lol

His story is so stupid man

I signed him in Madden tho. Lol Theoretically he’s still young :shrugs:
-Housh
Reply/Quote
We need to sign maybe even 2 vet lineman. Hopefully Volston shows good work with the 1s
-Housh
Reply/Quote