Poll: RT?
Isaiah Prince
Fred Johnson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prince or Johnson at RT
Assuming we get Fred Johnson back from his non-covid illness this week who would you like to see at RT? Poll up top ^^

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Fred is a decent Tackle. In his last game, he was a wall, and a road grader in the run game. I saw too many coming in from the right-side last game to be comfortable with Prince out there yet.
Reply/Quote
put me in the Freddy J camp
I like him at T.
Reply/Quote
Maybe start Fred Johnson but rotate them?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:19 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Maybe start Fred Johnson but rotate them?

That’s a great idea! The other option is to line up both Fred Johnson and Isaiah Prince in a jumbo package.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s a great idea!  The other option is to line up both Fred Johnson and Isaiah Prince in a jumbo package.

Love it. 

Or maybe use them both for an unbalanced line (6 OL)? More unbalanced line equals a better running game IMO. I love the idea of the chiefs spending all week reviewing all the throws Burrow made against the Ravens and then we pound the rock 40 times. 

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:38 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I love the idea of the chiefs spending all week reviewing all the throws Burrow made against the Ravens and then we pound the rock 40 times. 

Oh yes. Only against the Ravens have the Bengals gone pass-heavy and won and there are legitimate reasons to have done so. The Bengals went run-heavy against the Steelers and blew their doors off.

If we look at the Chiefs’ defense objectively they play closer to how the Steelers play than how the Ravens play. I would love to see the Bengals hand the ball to Joe Mixon, Samaje Perine, and Chris Evans all day — with a few passes mixed in just to confuse.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the passing attack the Bengals have. I just want the league on notice that Cincinnati is not a one-dimensional offense.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s a great idea!  The other option is to line up both Fred Johnson and Isaiah Prince in a jumbo package.

If we are putting a 6th OL on the field id love to see it be Jackson Carman.  He has shown some impressive power and balance when out there.  I trust Pollack and clearly Pollack doesn't think he's ready, but still.  Would like to use our 2nd round pick.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:50 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: If we are putting a 6th OL on the field id love to see it be Jackson Carman.  He has shown some impressive power and balance when out there.  I trust Pollack and clearly Pollack doesn't think he's ready, but still.  Would like to use our 2nd round pick.

As much as I think Carman might be better than the other options, it seems the Bengals want to groom Carman for OG.
I dunno if it's because they feel he's not athletic enough to handle OT or what.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

We do this a lot anyways. Starter at RT is Fred though all the way for me.

Prince played better against the Ravens than he did against the Chargers but that isn't saying much at all as he was
terrible in that game. Fred Johnson played very good against a good DL in the Broncos in their place.
Reply/Quote
Option C: a chair
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Prince has excelled in jumbo packages. I'd start Fred and let Prince play in jumbo packages.
Reply/Quote
I’m not changing a starter after last weeks explosion. Let it ride with Prince and Adeniji on the right.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As much as I think Carman might be better than the other options, it seems the Bengals want to groom Carman for OG.
I dunno if it's because they feel he's not athletic enough to handle OT or what.

Like I said before I trust Pollack more than any of our coaches, but man do I wanna know what he doesn't like about Carman.  Seems everytime he plays you see a highlight or 2 on twitter of him putting guys on their back and I don't think he has given up a single sack.  Maybe his overall communication is lacking. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 04:19 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Maybe start Fred Johnson but rotate them?

Nothing against Prince but why would you want to rotate Fred out for someone who is not as good yet?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:37 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Like I said before I trust Pollack more than any of our coaches, but man do I wanna know what he doesn't like about Carman.  Seems everytime he plays you see a highlight or 2 on twitter of him putting guys on their back and I don't think he has given up a single sack.  Maybe his overall communication is lacking. 

More to it than just sacks allowed.

Can be missing assignments that others are picking up, or Burrow is throwing the ball away. Could be missing assignments on plays where Mixon is being met in the backfield on running plays. Short of having the Bengals call sheet and knowing what he is supposed to be doing, none of us on here know what is really happening out there.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:37 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Like I said before I trust Pollack more than any of our coaches, but man do I wanna know what he doesn't like about Carman.  Seems everytime he plays you see a highlight or 2 on twitter of him putting guys on their back and I don't think he has given up a single sack.  Maybe his overall communication is lacking. 

When a good rookie offensive linemen like Jackson Carman doesn’t see playing time it’s generally not about his individual play. It’s about his lack of chemistry with the other more experienced players. Both Fred Johnson and Isaiah Prince have more starts and therefore more synchronicity with the rest of the line.

Carman will get his reps in the offseason and, depending on Riley Reiff’s health and desire to remain in Cincinnati or not he’ll probably see more action in 2022.
Reply/Quote

For every highlight block in the run game Carman has made a mistake. He is inconsistent in the rushing offense (Which is expected on a new side, in a new position, and in a completely different scheme with new techniques.) but has shown alot of promise in pass protection. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I went with Fred Johnson. This is his 3rd season with the team, and he has shown some signs of nice development. I think it would be important to the team to decide if he's worth investing in, as he's a free agent at the end of this season.

Nothing negative on Prince, as I thought he did a fine job overall against Baltimore, and he's also been valuable as a 6th OL on jumbo sets this season.

Honestly, I think the credit goes to Coach Pollack for allowing us to see the upside benefits of each of these young Tackles.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Fred J seems good on screens/pulls/blocking in space but not as good at power run blocking or holding against the bull rush. 

Prince seems better at power run blocking/holding against the bull rush. 

I'd go with Prince personally.
Reply/Quote