Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priority free agent
Which high-end free agent should the Bengals decide to prioritize (pick one)?
Jonah Williams RT $16M – fills hole with a a known quantity
Justin Madubuike DT $22M - good improving player with huge year
Tee Higgins WR $20M – Keep him in the fold and happy.
Jaylon Johnson CB $20M – the best CB free agent and arguably in the league.
Brian Burns DE $22M – 45 sacks in 5 years
.. or someone else

My pick: A premier CB upgrades the whole DB room.
Reply/Quote
Justin M from Baltimore would be an absolute coup if somehow the Ravens were stupid enough to let him test FA and the Bengals could fit his salary in. Dude plays the run and the pass very well and is young. Weakens a division defense, upgrades ours significantly.

I feel like Murphy is going to continue to improve. Of course, I also thought this of Ossai and that blew up in my face so... But anyway, I think we are fine on the ends, and interior rush would really make Hubbard and Murphy more effective.
Reply/Quote
Justin Madubuike. We desperately need pass rush on the interior. Our pass rush currently consists of Trey Hendrickson and nobody else.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals can sign Madubuike for 22 million, you do it. Only 26 years old just now coming into his own. Would love to have him as part of the Bengals defensive line.
Reply/Quote
Other
Antoine Winfield JR FS Tampa.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 02:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Other
Antoine Winfield JR FS Tampa.

I haven't watched the Bucs this year is Winfield playing most Slot Corner like he mostly did in 2022?

Edit: Justin Madubuike kinda scares me. That's a huge contract for a guy that only has 1 good year in a 4 year career.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I haven't watched the Bucs this year is Winfield playing most Slot Corner like he mostly did in 2022?

Edit: Justin Madubuike kinda scares me. That's a huge contract for a guy that only has 1 good year in a 4 year career.

Madubuike reminds me of the situation around the Trey Hendrickson FA pickup.  Hendrickson was on his rookie contract with the Saints and didnt do a whole lot his first couple of years in the NFL.  Hendrickson did pretty good his 3rd season with 6 sacks and really blossomed his 4th year in the NFL with 14 sacks then the Bengals signed him.

Madubuike had 1 sack his rookie year, 3 sacks his second year, 6 sacks last year and 14 so far this year.  When you look at the numbers, Madubuike has got better every year.  It looks like this year he has put it all together.  Could this just be a one year wonder?  It could.  I would be more skeptical if this was someone not on their rookie contract suddenly having a good year but a young guy on a rookie contract that improved every year?  I think he is legit.  Reminds me of the Hendrickson pickup.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I haven't watched the Bucs this year is Winfield playing most Slot Corner like he mostly did in 2022?

According to PFF he is playing more FS than Slot. 
Free 635
Slot-131
Box- 223
DL-39
CB-19
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 03:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Madubuike reminds me of the situation around the Trey Hendrickson FA pickup.  Hendrickson was on his rookie contract with the Saints and didnt do a whole lot his first couple of years in the NFL.  Hendrickson did pretty good his 3rd season with 6 sacks and really blossomed his 4th year in the NFL with 14 sacks then the Bengals signed him.

Madubuike had 1 sack his rookie year, 3 sacks his second year, 6 sacks last year and 14 so far this year.  When you look at the numbers, Madubuike has got better every year.  It looks like this year he has put it all together.  Could this just be a one year wonder?  It could.  I would be more skeptical if this was someone not on their rookie contract suddenly having a good year but a young guy on a rookie contract that improved every year?  I think he is legit.  Reminds me of the Hendrickson pickup.

Trey Hendrickson was hurt his first couple years with the Saints, played well in a rotation year 3, then blew up with starter reps in year 4. Even then the Bengals gave Hendrickson a very team friendly deal with easy outs after both the first 2 years of the contract. 

I don't think Madubuike is going to take a similar team friendly deal with low guaranteed money and easy outs. Alot of those Ravens defenders are having career years so I'm just saying its a bit of a gamble for a huge multi-year contract.

(01-06-2024, 03:34 PM)J24 Wrote: According to PFF he is playing more FS than Slot. 
Free 635
Slot-131
Box- 223
DL-39
CB-19

Thanks I wasn't sure I know he played mostly Safety in 2021 but played alot of slot corner in 2022. I don't see how the Bucs can let Windfield go. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 03:34 PM)J24 Wrote: According to PFF he is playing more FS than Slot. 
Free 635
Slot-131
Box- 223
DL-39
CB-19

39 DL snaps had me do a double take until I realized what constitutes as a DL snap.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
For me, my priority, with our roughly $70 mil in cap space, would be:

1) Higgins. Will tag if I have to, but main concern is getting the yearly cap hit lower. Will go more guaranteed $$ or more years to get it. Hopefully his poor year cools the market a bit.

2) Reader. Even with the injury, I go 3 years with no hesitation. But my overall number is probably closer to $10 mil a year than $15. Hopefully.

I am hoping to get Higgins & Reader done for half my cap ($35 mil) or less. $30 would be fantastic.

3) A defensive difference-maker in FA. My first swing would be at DT (Jones, Wilkins, Madubuike). If I whiff there, then I look at CBs or Winfield. Though I doubt the Bengals go that route, as it would nlbe admitting they should have paid Bates and/or giving up on Turner. Winfield is a much more versatile piece, however.

4) If I have $$ left, then I think about Chido/Boyd coming back. But Browning & Hudson absolutely need taken care of as well.
Reply/Quote
I understand Synric's concerns about Madubuike and just the 1 year of production but he is still the dude I want the most right now.

Eluemunor would be my guy after him to fill RT.
Reply/Quote