Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Focus All-Pro Team
Some love for a bunch of our guys in here: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-all-pro-team-tom-brady-jonathan-taylor-aaron-donald

OFFENSE
QB TOM BRADY, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Second Team: Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals
Brady is 44 years old, so of course the Tampa Bay Buccaneers leaned on him more than ever before. He led the NFL in dropbacks with 751 passing plays, climbing to almost 800 if you add in nullified plays. He posted a top-10 big-time throw rate and the second-best turnover-worthy throw rate in the league over the course of the season despite passing the ball more than anybody and seeing all of his top receivers miss time. Brady is playing as well as he ever has, continuing to defy Father Time in his unicorn career.

Burrow just needed a few more weeks of the season at his current level of play to pull away. Cincinnati sitting him down for Week 18 allowed Brady to jump back to the top of the PFF grades.

RB JONATHAN TAYLOR, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Second Team: Joe Mixon, Cincinnati Bengals

WR COOPER KUPP, LOS ANGELES RAMS
Second Team: Ja’Marr Chase, Cincinnati Bengals
Kupp threatened a handful of single-season receiving records this year, finishing with 145 catches, 1,947 yards and 16 touchdowns from 188 targets. Matthew Stafford’s impact on the Rams' offense has had no greater effect than pouring gas on the kind of production Kupp was already capable of. He is the only receiver in the NFL to average over three yards per route run (3.12), a threshold typically reserved for Julio Jones in his prime. Kupp also produced one of the best catch rates in the league, bringing in 93.5% of catchable passes.

Chase at his best was unstoppable as a rookie. His high-end games were incredible, and the only thing keeping him from being a first-team All-Pro was a run of seven games where he had middling production outside of the Bengals contest against the 49ers.

DEFENSE
CB A.J. TERRELL, ATLANTA FALCONS
Second Team: Chidobe Awuzie, Cincinnati Bengals
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Folks will laugh

but I'll take Ja'Marr over Cooper all day long.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Folks will laugh

I know at one point Jamarr had a couple hundred less yards but like more than 40 less targets. With them targeting him more and putting him more all over, I except north of 1500 yards next year, sans injury.
Reply/Quote
Based on accumulated stats, I understand why Burrow, Mixon, and Chase are the second team guys. I'm okay with the choices and it's nice seeing Bengals players get recognition.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:36 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Based on accumulated stats, I understand why Burrow, Mixon, and Chase are the second team guys. I'm okay with the choices and it's nice seeing Bengals players get recognition.

Yeah I thought so too.  All of them are appropriately recognized in my view. I would have liked to have seen Hendrickson on the list, but it's hard to argue with who they have on there.

As far as Chase v. Kupp goes, Kupp obviously had an amazing season and in my eyes, should probably be offensive player of the year.  But if we're talking long term success and pure play making ability, I'll take Chase all day every day.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Folks will laugh

It’s not really that hot of a take. If Chase saw the amount of targets Kupp did (191) his numbers would be insane.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:40 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah I thought so too.  All of them are appropriately recognized in my view. I would have liked to have seen Hendrickson on the list, but it's hard to argue with who they have on there.

As far as Chase v. Kupp goes, Kupp obviously had an amazing season and in my eyes, should probably be offensive player of the year.  But if we're talking long term success and pure play making ability, I'll take Chase all day every day.

Right on and especially since Chase is 6 to 7 years younger than Kupp. Both are great WRs and you couldn't go wrong having either on a team intent on winning, but I'm with you--give me Chase!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:33 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I know at one point Jamarr had a couple hundred less yards but like more than 40 less targets. With them targeting him more and putting him more all over, I except north of 1500 yards next year, sans injury.

Chase had 63 less targets than Kupp.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:40 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah I thought so too.  All of them are appropriately recognized in my view. I would have liked to have seen Hendrickson on the list, but it's hard to argue with who they have on there.

Jonathan Taylor is in the MVP conversation. He might end up taking OPOY.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not really that hot of a take. If Chase saw the amount of targets Kupp did (191) his numbers would be insane.

Good point, Burrow spreads the ball around to Tee & TB. I don't know what the stats reveal, but it seems like Stafford tunnels in on Kupp.

Edit: It felt like Burrow was doing this early on in the season with Chase. Burrow's talked about fixing his game to eliminate turnovers, maybe not narrowing in on Chase is part of that change?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:33 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I know at one point Jamarr had a couple hundred less yards but like more than 40 less targets. With them targeting him more and putting him more all over, I except north of 1500 yards next year, sans injury.

Yep they feed the ball to Kupp more than retired ladies feed coins into losing slot machines in Vegas. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Folks will laugh

I haven't paid much attention to fantasy therefore and not up on non-bengal stat leaders.  I was pretty blown away by what Kupp managed to do this year.  I'd take Ja'marr long term due to the obvious age factor and the mind-boggling notion that he could and likely will get even better.

Side note:  I remember when Kupp was being talked about in pre-draft conversation.  It was the year that the Bengals selected Ross.  The local guys had a national draft expert on who said he thought Kupp was going to be the best receiver in the draft.  This caused the host to have a good chuckle at the idea of the Bengals taking a relatively nameless prospect like Kupp from Eastern Washington with a top 10 pick.  Admittedly, nobody would have been happy at the time if that happened, but the dismissively smug attitude and literal laughter about the guest mentioning Kupp as the best wr in the 2017 draft always sticks in my head when I see him balling out in LA.  
Reply/Quote
Cooper Kupp triple-crowned receptions, yards, and TDs. I’m not sneezing at that.
Reply/Quote
McPherson was robbed.

2nd team kicker Jake Elliott had a higher overall FG% (90.9 to 84.8), but only had 3 FGs from 50+ and zero game winning kicks.

Evan was 9-11 from 50+ and 3 of 3 on game-winning kicks on the last play of the game.  McPherson also hit 4 FGs on the final play before halftime (including a 58 yarder against Denver)

**Evan did miss a FG in overtime against the Packers that "would have been" the last play of the game, but the statement above is "technically" correct.**
Reply/Quote
Yet somehow Lamar Jackson made the Pro Bowl over Burrow. Just says how that 'award' should never be taken seriously.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 02:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yet somehow Lamar Jackson made the Pro Bowl over Burrow. Just says how that 'award' should never be taken seriously.

I have no idea why the Pro Bowl teams are selected with a quarter of the season left to play.  It doesn't make any sense.  I don't see the need to set the teams that early.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 02:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea why the Pro Bowl teams are selected with a quarter of the season left to play.  It doesn't make any sense.  I don't see the need to set the teams that early.

Agreed, and even then Jackson didn't even deserve a sniffing of the pro bowl. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 02:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: McPherson was robbed.

2nd team kicker Jake Elliott had a higher overall FG% (90.9 to 84.8), but was only had 3 FGs from 50+ and zero game winning kicks.

Evan was 9-11 from 50+ and 3 of 3 on game-winning kicks on the last play of the game.  McPherson also hit 4 FGs on the final play play before halftime (including a 58 yarder against Denver)

**Evan did miss a FG in overtime against the Packers that "would have been" the last play of the game, but the statement above is "technically" correct.**

nice to see Jake Elliot reach his full potential
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 03:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: nice to see Jake Elliot reach his full potential

Bengals best in the league at drafting kickers?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase had 63 less targets than Kupp.

Kupp had 3 less drops, despite those 63 additional targets..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote