Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-Football Focus: Preseason Week 1 "Team of the Week"
Star 
Quote:The first week of 2017 NFL preseason is complete, and PFF’s grades for every player to take a snap are in the books. Here are the top performers over the week at every position, in our weekly look at the Team of the Week:

(2) Bengals made the list: Chris Smith & Randy Bullock

Link: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-preseason-week-1-team-of-the-week

Quote:Edge: Chris Smith, Cincinnati Bengals, 91.0 overall grade

Smith finished the week as the only edge defender with a pass-rush grade above 90.0, with a 92.0. While he did not have a sack, he generated seven total quarterback pressures, most of any player. He was equally effective attacking both sides of the formation, with three pressures on 12 rushes from the right side and four pressures on 11 rushes from the left side.

Quote:Kicker: Randy Bullock, Cincinnati Bengals

Bullock went 2-of-2 on field goals, connecting from 49 and 54 yards. He also added two touchbacks with an average kickoff distance of 70.3 yards.
Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Bullock has an uphill struggle. If Elliott doesn't turn to total garbage he makes the team. We could do him a favor by releasing him early or maybe someone is willing to give up a very little something for him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, good stuff Bo.

Chris Smith deserves snaps with the 1's after that showing IMHO.

MJ needs to play backup, as does Sims and Gilberry.

Elliott i heard went 4 for 4 in practice and Bullock finally missed one.

Getting to be tighter at Kicker and we did use a pretty early pick on Elliott.

Probably the leading candidate but Bullock should get a job somewhere if he is the guy that gets cut.
Reply/Quote
If they keep Elliott just because he was a pick it's not a great call. They should keep him only if he's the better kicker. Personally I wouldn't want to be the one who has to make that decision because if Elliott doesn't pan out you know Bullock is going to kick for someone else and probably do very well. The same kind of holds true for Elliott as well. It feels like 40 years since we had a solid kicker even though it hasn't been that long ago  since we had a good kicked.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 09:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: If they keep Elliott just because he was a pick it's not a great call. They should keep him only if he's the better kicker. Personally I wouldn't want to be the one who has to make that decision because if Elliott doesn't pan out you know Bullock is going to kick for someone else and probably do very well. The same kind of holds true for Elliott as well. It feels like 40 years since we had a solid kicker even though it hasn't been that long ago  since we had a good kicked.

Always want the best player to play but when this team invests a pick in a Kicker it is rare.

Relatively early pick and Simmons thought Elliott might be the next Justin Tucker...

I agree though, they need to own up when they screw up on a pick much more often.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 09:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Always want the best player to play but when this team invests a pick in a Kicker it is rare.

Relatively early pick and Simmons thought Elliott might be the next Justin Tucker...

I agree though, they need to own up when they screw up on a pick much more often.

Speaking of Kickers, I saw that Nuge' is with the Giants now.  But yes, we have an actual kicking duel on our hands, right now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 09:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Speaking of Kickers, I saw that Nuge' is with the Giants now.  But yes, we have an actual kicking duel on our hands, right now.

Ah, didn't know that.

It is nice to have the competition at Kicker for sure. Bullock has been better so far but i like the way Elliott kicks and trust Simmons.
Reply/Quote
I don't wanna get to carried away about Smith it was against 2nd/3rd stringers. But man I liked what I saw ! Very high motor !

If he keeps it up it's gonna be really hard to cut him.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 10:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't wanna get to carried away about Smith it was against 2nd/3rd stringers. But man I liked what I saw ! Very high motor !

If he keeps it up it's gonna be really hard to cut him.

Hard not to like what Chris did and what MJ didn't.

All we care about is having the best player start right?

Willis looked good too.

Gotta go offa what u see. Sims, MJ and Gilberry were handled easily.

Smith, Willis, Atkins, Billings, Tapou won their matchups and Chris dominated.

This should not be ignored even if it is Preseason...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 01:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Good stuff. Bullock has an uphill struggle. If Elliott doesn't turn to total garbage he makes the team. We could do him a favor by releasing him early or maybe someone is willing to give up a very little something for him.

Yeah I bet marvin and Duke release him early so he can get picked up before final cuts
Reply/Quote
I want to see more Chris Smith. He has a natural bend many of us wanted in a DE this draft.

Honestly, with the likes of Willis, Lawson, and Smith on this line, I feel A LOT better about our defensive line. Just hoping one of them starts over Johnson.

Oh, and that Billings starts.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 09:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: If they keep Elliott just because he was a pick it's not a great call. They should keep him only if he's the better kicker. Personally I wouldn't want to be the one who has to make that decision because if Elliott doesn't pan out you know Bullock is going to kick for someone else and probably do very well. The same kind of holds true for Elliott as well. It feels like 40 years since we had a solid kicker even though it hasn't been that long ago  since we had a good kicked.

I agree.  Regardless of how Bullock performs in the preseason, we've still seen him in regular season action.  He missed the field goal that cost us the Texans game.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 11:17 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I want to see more Chris Smith. He has a natural bend many of us wanted in a DE this draft.

Honestly, with the likes of Willis, Lawson, and Smith on this line, I feel A LOT better about our defensive line. Just hoping one of them starts over Johnson.

Yep !

MJ hasn't had a good game for us since before he left for Tampa. If they keep him over these young hungry players ???
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 11:17 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I want to see more Chris Smith. He has a natural bend many of us wanted in a DE this draft.

You know it Wolf as usual. MJ has no bend similar to Hunt.

Really loving all these new pass rushers we got, use them. All these guys have bend and speed, rare for us.

Haven't had guys like this in forever. Really like what Guenther is doing here, adjusting? Shocked

Billings man, Billings. Should be great next to Atkins and set him free. Sims blew last game and i always liked him.

Just have to call it like it is and Sims been eating too many twinkies.

Tapou atleast has the strength and youth right now. Haven't heard much if at all about Glasgow so far.

(08-15-2017, 11:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep !

MJ hasn't had a good game for us since before he left for Tampa. If they keep him over these young hungry players ???

Would be incredibly stupid if MJ keeps this crap up.
Reply/Quote
Am I the only person that noticed MJ only played part of the Tampa Bays first series?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Willis looked great. Showed way more explosion than i saw on his college tape. Looks like starter material
Reply/Quote

There is also age, which affects the financial end of the kicking situation, and also I liked the way Elliott's ball travels.   I can't help but think that hook will become detrimental when Bullock faces more elements.  

As far as who has done better, right now I would only look at the games, and although Bullock made a really deep shot they are both still 100%. 

Sidenote:  did anyone else think it was ironic that Bullock hit the upright on his attempt and Agueyo also hit the upright on his missed PAT?  We might have to buy new uprights as many doinks as they are hitting.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 04:41 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Willis looked great. Showed way more explosion than i saw on his college tape.   Looks like starter material

Plus he can stop the run. Don't know it Chris Smith can do this yet.

Willis would be the starter if i had the call right now. Let MJ rotate, he might be better as a backup.
Reply/Quote
Andre Smith looked awful good in that first game.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:46 PM)firstand10 Wrote: Andre Smith looked awful good in that first game.

I don't think I saw him on the field??
Reply/Quote