Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Focus dive: Cleveland Browns Mayfield's rise, Cincinnati Bengals Glenn's
Cordy Glenn. The Bengals left tackle has now given up 31 pressures on the season, a number only two shy of most on the team behind Alex Redmond (33). He’s had a rough go of it the past two weeks in pass protection. In losses to the Saints and Ravens he’s allowed a total of nine pressures and two sacks. Glenn is still an upgrade and stability at the spot over last year, but he's been far from an upper echelon tackle. And pressure will be on this week lining up across from Myles Garrett.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/20/pro-football-focus-dive-baker-mayfields-rise-cordy-glenns-fall-cincinnati-bengals-cleveland-browns/2070389002/
Reply/Quote
Clearly we need to sign Glenn to a long and expensive extension. That should fix the issue
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He has had is share of bad games(falcons and Panthers before that) wouldn't give up on him though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Cordy Glenn. The Bengals left tackle has now given up 31 pressures on the season, a number only two shy of most on the team behind Alex Redmond (33). He’s had a rough go of it the past two weeks in pass protection. In losses to the Saints and Ravens he’s allowed a total of nine pressures and two sacks. Glenn is still an upgrade and stability at the spot over last year, but he's been far from an upper echelon tackle. And pressure will be on this week lining up across from Myles Garrett.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/20/pro-football-focus-dive-baker-mayfields-rise-cordy-glenns-fall-cincinnati-bengals-cleveland-browns/2070389002/

With Price also not playing well so far, do people wish the Bengals never traded back from 12 to go to 21 + Glenn? I do think it's unfair to fully determine that so soon (maybe in another 1-2 years) but I'm sure some are thinking it.
I don't really know who I would have chosen at 12 though. Maybe Tremaine Edmunds but he hasn't been doing well for the Bills even though it was pretty known he would need a season or two of development. It's easy to say Derwin James but the Bengals wouldn't have taken Bates if they had James. Bates has played rather well, so I think I'd still have preferred Bates in 2 rather than James in 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Price also not playing well so far, do people wish the Bengals never traded back from 12 to go to 21 + Glenn? I do think it's unfair to fully determine that so soon (maybe in another 1-2 years) but I'm sure some are thinking it.
I don't really know who I would have chosen at 12 though. Maybe Tremaine Edmunds but he hasn't been doing well for the Bills even though it was pretty known he would need a season or two of development. It's easy to say Derwin James but the Bengals wouldn't have taken Bates if they had James. Bates has played rather well, so I think I'd still have preferred Bates in 2 rather than James in 1.

I don't think that it's fair to judge the rookie just yet.  The entire point of naming him the starter from day one, was to develop consistency.  With the injury early in the year, and missing 6 weeks as a result, you might say that development had to start over again.  I'm not making excuses, because he's been far from stellar.  I just want to remind everyone that DeCastro also looked rather shaky his rookie season, and look how he turned out.

As for Cordy Glenn?  I think you cut your losses with him, at the end of the season.  He's not a franchise LT, and now is looking barely average.  With the team now looking to draft in or near the top 10, you almost have to start thinking LT with the 1st round pick.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't think that it's fair to judge the rookie just yet.  The entire point of naming him the starter from day one, was to develop consistency.  With the injury early in the year, and missing 6 weeks as a result, you might say that development had to start over again.  I'm not making excuses, because he's been far from stellar.  I just want to remind everyone that DeCastro also looked rather shaky his rookie season, and look how he turned out.

As for Cordy Glenn?  I think you cut your losses with him, at the end of the season.  He's not a franchise LT, and now is looking barely average.  With the team now looking to draft in or near the top 10, you almost have to start thinking LT with the 1st round pick.

This.

And regarding Glenn I think we have to keep him.  Just too many holes on the O Line.   I'm hoping like anything he's had a nagging injury all season affecting his performance.

Plus the class of the upcoming draft is on the other side of the ball.  That's where I want to focus.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:12 PM)3wt Wrote: This.

And regarding Glenn I think we have to keep him.  Just too many holes on the O Line.   I'm hoping like anything he's had a nagging injury all season affecting his performance.

Plus the class of the upcoming draft is on the other side of the ball.  That's where I want to focus.

I think he's had a couple of them....now he has a back problem.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 03:57 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He has had is share of bad games(falcons and Panthers before that) wouldn't give up on him though.

What’s truly sad is he’s our best offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote
It is one area where whoever is coaching will need to take a long, hard look. Glenn may need to move to RT for all we know if he can't handle the left side. If Dre is actually in playing shape plug him in at LT at this point?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:49 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: What’s truly sad is he’s our best offensive lineman.

He is our best tackle for sure but I would say boiling is better at this point. I don't  think his play is as bad as PFF says it is. HIs bad games were truly aful thought so that makes his overall grade worse than it really should be. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't think that it's fair to judge the rookie just yet.  The entire point of naming him the starter from day one, was to develop consistency.  With the injury early in the year, and missing 6 weeks as a result, you might say that development had to start over again.  I'm not making excuses, because he's been far from stellar.  I just want to remind everyone that DeCastro also looked rather shaky his rookie season, and look how he turned out.

You're not making excuses for Price. Just reasons why he, as a rookie, will make mistakes during his first year, and fewer next year etc. Some here may remember that Boling went through the same thing when he came into the league. It is reasonable to see this.

I think the team needs to look for a better starting LT in FA, and cut Glenn loose if that happens. If not, draft the best LT possible, and develop him in '19 behind Glenn (assuming his back issue goes away). Same for RT, though the odds are not in our favor of finding two decent tackles in the same off season. Hell, we haven't found one in going on 4 years .... 

If we don't see this, our offense won't improve one iota beyond what we see now, with the possible exception of better TE play. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

Do we really HAVE to keep him?  I mean, not only is he not performing well, he's bothered by nagging injuries, and now a back issue. (those never completely go away)  Personally, I just feel like the team would be better served to simply keep their options open for better talent.  Every year there are a crop of free agents that hit the market, some of them have peaked in their performance, others are just simply victims of the numbers game.  The Bengals always try to do the "economical" route, but it really doesn't work out.  Heck, for what they've spent on Glenn, and keeping those two draft busts around for their entire contracts, they could have just re-signed Whitworth and Smith, and drafted another pair of Tackles to develop.  If the Bengals Management ever decided that they wanted to be a major player, rather than a bottom feeder, an actual GM would go far in making that happen..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There should be nothing to fear other than injuries. I can remember everyone saying that Pollack would have each of these guys playing the best football that they’ve ever played. I’m still waiting but it’s sure to be soon, probably this week!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Price also not playing well so far, do people wish the Bengals never traded back from 12 to go to 21 + Glenn? I do think it's unfair to fully determine that so soon (maybe in another 1-2 years) but I'm sure some are thinking it.

Who would you have taken at 12 if the Bengals did not make that trade?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 07:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Who would you have taken at 12 if the Bengals did not make that trade?

All GMs and top brass knows to build a top football team,you must first develop your O-lines with top top talent and of course your D-line. The bengals drafted two big time busts in fisher and number70.Neither one can make the grade,what a dumbass thing to do.Both are duds and I personally blame Duke Tobin for all of this.How can you pick duds like this and ruin our chances for two or three years.We should have kept Whit and never let the dude go to the browns,should have kept Zeither who is balling in Cleveland.I hope they hire a assistant GM.The league knows we are a terrible organization that is way way behind the times and we have no scouting dept and no top management.Its just insane.we are the bottom feeders of football and everyone knows it.so sad Hilarious LMAO Cool :paul:
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 08:12 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: All GMs and top brass knows to build a top football team,you must first develop your O-lines with top top talent and of course your D-line. The bengals drafted two big time busts in fisher and number70.Neither one can make the grade,what a dumbass thing to do.Both are duds and I personally blame Duke Tobin for all of this.How can you pick duds like this and ruin our chances for two or three years.We should have kept Whit and never let the dude go to the browns,should have kept Zeither who is balling in Cleveland.I hope they hire a assistant GM.The league knows we are a terrible organization that is way way behind the times and we have no scouting dept and no top management.Its just insane.we are the bottom feeders of football and everyone knows it.so sad Hilarious LMAO Cool :paul:

Last year's draft did not have a plethora of O-Line prospects.  But this year's draft may have a couple OT guard/center types.  The center out of Georgia Gaillard is a great center/guard type.  I think the entire line needs help.  But also, TE and linebacker position is lacking.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 08:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Last year's draft did not have a plethora of O-Line prospects.  But this year's draft may have a couple OT guard/center types.  The center out of Georgia Gaillard is a great center/guard type.  I think the entire line needs help.  But also, TE and linebacker position is lacking.  

I have read that this year's 2019 draft OL depth is the best since 2010. The Bengals could feast on OL picks if that is their direction. If I were king for a day, I would use 1st round on a play maker(TE/WR) and then go wild with OL and DL for the next 6 rounds. Unfortunately, LB depth is pretty sad for 2019 draft.
Reply/Quote
If only there was a frequent Pro Bowl and All-Pro LT who was also a great leader and human being that the Bengals could have just given an extension to rather than lowball him and watch him walk away to a SB contender.

Andrew Whitworth w/Rams: 3yr/$33.75m (Pro Bowl & 1st Team All-Pro in his first year so far.)

vs

Cedric Ogbuehi: 21st Overall Pick + $9.325m (The worst OL player I have ever seen.)
+
Cordy Glenn: 9 spots lower in the 1st round + $30m (Pretty bad LT.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So to recap... the Bengals had an All-Pro LT/All-Pro Human Being, and instead chose to waste 1 first round pick, drop down lower in another first round pick, AND spend ~$5.5m MORE than Whitworth got, all in order to have some of the most pathetic LT play we have seen in ages.

Brilliant!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Rookie Centers tend to struggle. I have hope for Price.
Reply/Quote

The problem with the nagging injury theory is he was hurt the previous 2 years too.

He's a huge guy...maybe his body is breaking down. He's what 6 foot 7, 360lb? That's A LOT of stress on a body.
Reply/Quote