Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Focus dive: Cleveland Browns Mayfield's rise, Cincinnati Bengals Glenn's
(11-29-2018, 09:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If only there was a frequent Pro Bowl and All-Pro LT who was also a great leader and human being that the Bengals could have just given an extension to rather than lowball him and watch him walk away to a SB contender.

Andrew Whitworth w/Rams: 3yr/$33.75m (Pro Bowl & 1st Team All-Pro in his first year so far.)

vs

Cedric Ogbuehi: 21st Overall Pick + $9.325m (The worst OL player I have ever seen.)
+
Cordy Glenn: 9 spots lower in the 1st round + $30m (Pretty bad LT.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So to recap... the Bengals had an All-Pro LT/All-Pro Human Being, and instead chose to waste 1 first round pick, drop down lower in another first round pick, AND spend ~$5.5m MORE than Whitworth got, all in order to have some of the most pathetic LT play we have seen in ages.

Brilliant!

That's funny. By being cheap...they actually pay more and perform worse.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 07:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Who would you have taken at 12 if the Bengals did not make that trade?

I did say in my previous post that I'm not sure because Roquan Smith, Quenton Nelson, and Mike McGlinchey were all gone, but I'd probably have gone Edmunds even though I figured he might not be an immediate Pro Bowler. I really liked Frank Ragnow, Leighton Vander Esch, and Isaiah Wynn but not as high as 12. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I did say in my previous post that I'm not sure because Roquan Smith, Quenton Nelson, and Mike McGlinchey were all gone, but I'd probably have gone Edmunds even though I figured he might not be an immediate Pro Bowler. I really liked Frank Ragnow, Leighton Vander Esch, and Isaiah Wynn but not as high as 12. 

In hindsight, Vander Esch. At the time, we would have been taking him early.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 08:12 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: All GMs and top brass knows to build a top football team,you must first develop your O-lines with top top talent and of course your D-line. The bengals drafted two big time busts in fisher and number70.Neither one can make the grade,what a dumbass thing to do.Both are duds and I personally blame Duke Tobin for all of this.How can you pick duds like this and ruin our chances for two or three years.We should have kept Whit and never let the dude go to the browns,should have kept Zeither who is balling in Cleveland.I hope they hire a assistant GM.The league knows we are a terrible organization that is way way behind the times and we have no scouting dept and no top management.Its just insane.we are the bottom feeders of football and everyone knows it.so sad Hilarious LMAO Cool :paul:

Oh I think it set them back more than two or three years. It's a domino effect.  If they have to readdress this in the draft then they can't address other positions until later in the draft.  It was an absolute disaster.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 11:05 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In hindsight, Vander Esch. At the time, we would have been taking him early.

Yeah man.....he is playing great football right now.  With even more hindsight, we could have survived with Hopkins at C, and addressed our woeful LB corps....still would have been short a serviceable LT though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Boling's PFF grade is 64.9. Do we need to move on from him too?

When opposing teams are scoring on every drive and pulling ahead it gives them a lot of chances to really tee off against the offensive line. When the Bengals cannot run the ball to close out football games consistently putting them in 3rd and longs that gives defenses a chance to tee off on the offensive line.

The Offense line as a whole needs to play better.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's funny. By being cheap...they actually pay more and perform worse.

They were not being cheap.  They were moving on from an older player before he declined. It is a gamble.  Sometimes it works and some times it does not, but teams allover he league do it all the time.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I did say in my previous post that I'm not sure because Roquan Smith, Quenton Nelson, and Mike McGlinchey were all gone, but I'd probably have gone Edmunds even though I figured he might not be an immediate Pro Bowler. I really liked Frank Ragnow, Leighton Vander Esch, and Isaiah Wynn but not as high as 12. 

looking back, it looks like Ragnow would have been the right choice.  Vander Esch was seen as too raw.  I also liked Smith.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 11:25 AM)Synric Wrote: Boling's PFF grade is 64.9. Do we need to move on from him too?

When opposing teams are scoring on every drive and pulling ahead it gives them a lot of chances to really tee off against the offensive line. When the Bengals cannot run the ball to close out football games consistently putting them in 3rd and longs that gives defenses a chance to tee off on the offensive line.

The Offense line as a whole needs to play better.

The run blocking has been just as bad as the pass blocking. Our RB's are making something out of nothing.

But, yes the whole line has underperformed and Boling appears to be on the decline.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: looking back, it looks like Ragnow would have been the right choice.  Vander Esch was seen as too raw.  I also liked Smith.  

Smith is having a pretty solid year too, isn't he?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 09:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If only there was a frequent Pro Bowl and All-Pro LT who was also a great leader and human being that the Bengals could have just given an extension to rather than lowball him and watch him walk away to a SB contender.

Andrew Whitworth w/Rams: 3yr/$33.75m (Pro Bowl & 1st Team All-Pro in his first year so far.)

vs

Cedric Ogbuehi: 21st Overall Pick + $9.325m (The worst OL player I have ever seen.)
+
Cordy Glenn: 9 spots lower in the 1st round + $30m (Pretty bad LT.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So to recap... the Bengals had an All-Pro LT/All-Pro Human Being, and instead chose to waste 1 first round pick, drop down lower in another first round pick, AND spend ~$5.5m MORE than Whitworth got, all in order to have some of the most pathetic LT play we have seen in ages.

Brilliant!

Hindsight is great, but if it had worked out the way it was planned, we would've saved money and found our next LT for the next 10-14 years.
But it just didn't happen that way. It was a gamble. Whit's a human as well, he's going to break down sooner or later and what's to say if he had stayed here he would've remained healthy?? 

we can still recover via FA, but MB needs to stop worrying about Comp picks and just get a bunch of guys signed.
Reply/Quote