Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFC Contenders
It still blows my mind that Carolina lost the season opener to Denver. And again it makes me think about how important special teams are. Hopefully Nugent is back in form for the regular season cuz yeah, that will change the outcome of games.

The season is long so a lot of things can happen even if start out with a weak beginning. The Jets may be a real AFC contender -- especially if the Pats stumble. Denver, Pittsburgh, New England...yeah this open stretch could be brutal for us. Gotta play the long game while still fighting for the inches right in front of you.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 02:40 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: It still blows my mind that Carolina lost the season opener to Denver. And again it makes me think about how important special teams are. Hopefully Nugent is back in form for the regular season cuz yeah, that will change the outcome of games.

The season is long so a lot of things can happen even if start out with a weak beginning. The Jets may be a real AFC contender -- especially if the Pats stumble. Denver, Pittsburgh, New England...yeah this open stretch could be brutal for us. Gotta play the long game while still fighting for the inches right in front of you.

I'm not surprised Denver won, though I sure wouldn't have bet on it.  I think the important thing to remember is that Sieman is a backup QB, regardless if he's starting or not and backup QBs can all win games and look pretty good BUT the thing that separates them from starers is consistency.

He also dove head first (a trademark of backup QBs desperate to keep their jobs) so I fully expect him to be injurebenched for Lynch by week 4 or so.  It's just the way it goes in the NFL, and until I see long-term evidence he can win (even with this team) he's more likely to fall into the company of Hoyer circa 2013 than anything else.  I could be wrong, but I don't see Siemian (or however it is spelled) being the QB for the Broncos as the year winds on.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 09:31 AM)YCaptain Happy Pants Wrote: You sound like a closet Steeler fan.  Yes they are.  Most "experts" have them in the Super Bowl, despite losing Bryant and Heath Miller.  Also the Bell suspension for 3 games.  Their defense hasn't gotten any better, if anything, worse.  Their first round pick from last year, Bud Dupree is done for the year.

They get fluffed up every year because they're the biggest bandwagon team besides the Cowboys

You got me. Screw objectivity or difference of opinion. Yup,  I must be a Steeler fan.  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Let's hope.  If I had a nickel for each time we Bengals fans spent the offseason declaring the Steelers were on their way down the drain finally I'd have at least enough for a decent cup of coffee.

Personally, I haven't declared them dead since my claims that they'd never make it without Sanantonio Holmes blew up in my face.  I get the nature of fandom though, and it's why we spent all offseason talking up how losing our starting TE and our #2 and #3 WRs could very well be a blessing while claiming the Steelers can never be expected to crack 8-8 without Heaff Miller and Marcus Wheathin.

I also recall us citing Troy and Kiesel's oldness, Lebeau's old and out-of-touch defense, and Arians' insanity as an OC as knocks against them BUT then turning around and saying they'd never be the same after all those liabilities left.  We are pretty wacky when it comes to declaring the Steelers dead...let's just admit it.

I never claim that the Steelers will be a bad team. I normally say that they will be a really good team (otherwise how can the AFC North be the best division?) I just call it as I see it, and the Steelers don't look very good. They're going to lose to the Redskins and us. They will probably beat the Eagles and I don't remember any other game they have. They're going 0-2 then 1-2. Being the season around 8-8.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 02:54 PM)jeremydc Wrote: You got me. Screw objectivity or difference of opinion. Yup,  I must be a Steeler fan.  ThumbsUp

Take a joke man.  Your "objectivity" is because the Steelers have been there before, despite losing key players and not improving on defense.  I get your point, but don't act like they are worthy of being called a super bowl team.  Their offense is good with Brown and the rapist, obviously.  But even then I doubt one or the other stays healthy enough throughout the season.  After all, we almost beat them with a backup QB in the playoffs
Reply/Quote
E. Patriots - still there

N. Bengals - It's finally time

W. Chiefs - edge out Broncos by tie breakers

S. Jaguars 9-7 may well win this division again. Colts don't have much except Luck, Texans aren't all that.

WC Broncos

WC Steelers

I think their may be the biggest log jam at 9-7 in NFL history this season. With Colts, Texans, Bills, Jets, Ravens, Raiders maybe all being in it until the last minute.
Reply/Quote
AFC West - I don't think you can count the Raiders out of the AFC West. They're building a pretty strong team. Denver is still the team to beat, obviously, but Oakland could at least get the Wild Card.

AFC South - Texans, but who else is there?

AFC East - Patriots might fade this year. Buffalo could make a run for this, if they didn't lack a QB. The Jets stand as good as chance as any of knocking off the Patriots. Both teams will probably make the playoffs.

AFC North - It's us vs the Steelers, with Baltimore a possible spoiler for someone. Hopefully, they knock off the Steelers at least once this year.

Bengals
Texans
Denver
Patriots
Jets
Oakland

Those are my seeds for the year, and hell YES I'm a homer!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 06:42 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Whatever helps you sleep at night. Full strength or not ( on both sides ) Steelers are a tough team to beat anywhere, anytime . Not acknowledging the obvious is silly.

Steelers are overrated!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 10:35 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Steelers are overrated!

Ok.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 02:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Steelers will be 9-7 and miss playoffs

That is a pleasant fiction. Isn't it?
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 10:35 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Steelers are overrated!

I envy the enthusiasm some of you have. However, this is just wishful thinking. Could they have a down year? Sure. Typically they find a way to win, regardless of what's going on there.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
How are you leaving KC out?
Reply/Quote
I do not see the steelers making the playoffs there is no way they can
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 07:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I do not see the steelers making the playoffs there is no way they can

With one of the better coaching staffs in the league, there is always a chance they make the playoffs. Last year, decimated by injuries, they got there. This year is no different. Homers here have a hard time grasping it. Bengals will win the division but I wouldn't be surprised if we meet them a 3rd time.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 05:23 AM)Utts Wrote: I envy the enthusiasm some of you have. However, this is just wishful thinking. Could they have a down year? Sure. Typically they find a way to win, regardless of what's going on there.

The only way the Steelers are gonna make the playoffs is if the AFC is weak again this year. There's a chance someone from the AFC West and/or South will step up and be more competitive this year.

I think the biggest knock on them that gets looked over a lot is losing Heath Miller. I don't know how many times he and Ben have converted on a key 3rd down but it seemed like he had a knack for that and they don't have an answer as far as I can tell on how to replace him. Green hasn't made it onto the field and can anyone tell me who Jesse James is? Brown may be the Steelers most explosive weapon but Miller was the most reliable.

The Steelers know how to win but I don't believe they are invincible or immune to injuries and losing players to retirement or suspension.

Bengals
Patriots
Chiefs
Broncos

These 4 are locks I believe.

I think the Texans will win the South so that leaves 1 spot that I could see the Raiders, Chargers, Jets, Jaguars, or Titans taking.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 12:53 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Steelers are not overrated .

Agree!  If the Bengals lose today, expect then to start 0-2, As much as I want to be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:18 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: The only way the Steelers are gonna make the playoffs is if the AFC is weak again this year. There's a chance someone from the AFC West and/or South will step up and be more competitive this year.

I think the Texans will win the South so that leaves 1 spot that I could see the Raiders, Chargers, Jets, Jaguars, or Titans taking.

I know those teams should all be better this year and anything can happen, but it seems that many years (other than the back to back 8-8 years for the Steelers) I find myself hoping the Dolphins, Texans, Jaguars, Raiders, Chargers, Jets etc. to take a playoff spot from the Steelers.  Just last season I recall watching the Jets stink up their chance to knock the Steelers out.  Ouch.
Reply/Quote