Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Probably at least one coaching change coming
(12-25-2020, 11:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like the opponents adjusted too. The 3rd quarter is this teams waterloo.

It really looked like we went out in the 2nd half with a gameplan that was built around trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

I can't find the stats, but I'm pretty sure Finley only threw the ball like 5 times in the 2nd half.  The way the plays were called you would have thought we up by 40 points. 

Thank God for the defense coming with a bunch of key stops on short yardage situations.  They deserve a ton of credit.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 03:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It really looked like we went out in the 2nd half with a gameplan that was built around trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

I can't find the stats, but I'm pretty sure Finley only threw the ball like 5 times in the 2nd half.  The way the plays were called you would have thought we up by 40 points. 

Thank God for the defense coming with a bunch of key stops on short yardage situations.  They deserve a ton of credit.

To be fair, I don't think throwing the ball with Finely is "playing to win". More like playing with fire. 

Gio was making plays throughout the first half. Makes sense to give him the rock throughout the second. 
Reply/Quote
Lou stays. Maybe he's finally getting the hang of it.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 03:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It really looked like we went out in the 2nd half with a gameplan that was built around trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

If you are playing to win aren't you trying not to lose? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would fire Turner over everyone but I don't think that will happen because hes kind of related,I think it will still be the DC.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 04:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: To be fair, I don't think throwing the ball with Finely is "playing to win". More like playing with fire. 

Gio was making plays throughout the first half. Makes sense to give him the rock throughout the second. 

Gio had 25 carries for 83 yards. And 1 catch for 14 yards. He didn't play well.

We scored because we got a short field because of the turnovers. Period.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 12:59 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I would fire Turner over everyone but I don't think that will happen because hes kind of related,I think it will still be the DC.

My guess would be all 3 Coordinators are retained. Turner and Eason are replaced. WR, LB, RB, QB, and DB position coaches are all retained. Poor line play on both sides of the ball, those position coaches will take the hits.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My guess would be all 3 Coordinators are retained. Turner and Eason are replaced. WR, LB, RB, QB, and DB position coaches are all retained. Poor line play on both sides of the ball, those position coaches will take the hits.

If it were up to me I would blow up the entire staff and start over but, if this is the best we can expect, it could be a lot worse.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 01:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gio had 25 carries for 83 yards. And 1 catch for 14 yards. He didn't play well.

If we ignore the fact that Pitt is the #2 D in the NFL this makes sense. If we take that into consideration then we can agree Gio played well. 

You also accidentally left out 2 TDs when posting Gio's performance. 

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 01:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gio had 25 carries for 83 yards. And 1 catch for 14 yards. He didn't play well.

(12-26-2020, 12:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we ignore the fact that Pitt is the #2 D in the NFL this makes sense. If we take that into consideration then we can agree Gio played well. 

You’re both right. Defenses are supposed to generate turnovers and give offenses great field position — but it’s up to the offense to take advantage of this and score.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 12:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You’re both right.  

Identify FIK in the following clip:

HINT: bfine is George Clooney

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 12:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we ignore the fact that Pitt is the #2 D in the NFL this makes sense. If we take that into consideration then we can agree Gio played well. 

Yeah had 3.3 yards per carry. That's not going to win you many games in the NFL.

Yeah 2 TD's were good...and a lot had to do with the short field.

Bush and Dupree are out. The Steelers D is nowhere near #2 with their backups in.

3.3 yards per carry is not quality. It's right around our rushing average on the year. We are a bad running team. It's not specifically Gio's fault. It's the entire team.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 02:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah had 3.3 yards per carry. That's not going to win you many games in the NFL.

Yeah 2 TD's were good...and a lot had to do with the short field.

Bush and Dupree are out. The Steelers D is nowhere near #2 with their backups in.

3.3 yards per carry is not quality. It's right around our rushing average on the year. We are a bad running team. It's not specifically Gio's fault. It's the entire team.

3.3 yds against a team the knew we were going to run the ball on almost every down. They didn't have Dupree or Bush, but we didn't have Burrow, Mixon or Boyd (for part of the game) Actually, I think the fact Gio ran it as well as he did against them is amazing. 
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 03:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Alexander was actually well respected around the league, too. Turner not so much...

Alexander is the reason for our abysmal line play. Demanding drafting BOTH OG and Fisher in the first two rounds and they both were duds. Alexander benefitted from drafting. He was the line coach during the lost decade. Those lines were as bad as this one. Alexander...HELL NO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 06:20 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Alexander is the reason for our abysmal line play. Demanding drafting BOTH OG and Fisher in the first two rounds and they both were duds. Alexander benefitted from drafting. He was the line coach during the lost decade. Those lines were as bad as this one. Alexander...HELL NO

He also coached some of the best lines in Bengals history. He had his ups and downs, like any other coach. The big misses with Ogbuehi and Fisher righty cost him his job, but let’s not pretend he didn’t have many good years. You can’t solely blame him for the bad picks, and give Tobin all the credit for the good ones.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 10:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He also coached some of the best lines in Bengals history. He had his ups and downs, like any other coach. The big misses with Ogbuehi and Fisher righty cost him his job, but let’s not pretend he didn’t have many good years. You can’t solely blame him for the bad picks, and give Tobin all the credit for the good ones.

Took the cowboys not even 1/2 season with Paul. Bengals 23 years. I know the guy on moving the chains LOVE HIM. He had some good years here. But was kept way too long. I don’t want him back. But mike brown don’t care about what I think. So who dey. None of the principal coaches will be let go. May be line coaches.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 01:21 AM)chopperbobby Wrote: Took the cowboys not even 1/2 season with Paul. Bengals 23 years. I know the guy on moving the chains LOVE HIM. He had some good years here. But was kept way too long. I don’t want him back. But mike brown don’t care about what I think. So who dey. None of the principal coaches will be let go. May be line coaches.

I don’t particularly want him back either, but he’s a far better coach than Jim Turner. Seems like a better human being, too.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 01:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t particularly want him back either, but he’s a far better coach than Jim Turner. Seems like a better human being, too.

I know neither of these guys and I suspect you don’t either, so there is no way you know what type of a human being either is. Alexander is a blow hard who judges lineman on how they poor ketchup and in his spare time tries to emulate Billy Joel. Likewise, Turner is old school and a former Marine. He is an intense guy something snowflakes translate into being a bad human. Both coaches are not good, except we had 20+ years witnessing Alexander’s ineptitude. We had the right line coach but the boy wonder ZT didn’t retain him or the guy didn’t want to work for ZT. Either way, we need to find the next line coach like we had in the 1980’s. I can’t remember his name

Reply/Quote
Firing Turner is the equivalent to shuffling chairs on the deck of the Titanic. If the head coach sucks, it dosen’t make a difference. Taylor has won 5 games in two years and has not shown he can be a competent head coach. An even bigger issue is Tobin and the front office. The offensive line was bad under Alexander, Pollock and Turner. The one common thread is Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price and Jordan were all drafted when Tobin was here. Also the John Miller , Cordy Glenn and Bobby Hart moves were made under Tobin. We’re making Turner a scapegoat and hoping firing one assistant coach will turn things around.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:47 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I know neither of these guys and I suspect you don’t either, so there is no way you know what type of a human being either is. Alexander is a blow hard who judges lineman on how they poor ketchup and in his spare time tries to emulate Billy Joel. Likewise, Turner is old school and a former Marine. He is an intense guy something snowflakes translate into being a bad human. Both coaches are not good, except we had 20+ years witnessing Alexander’s ineptitude. We had the right line coach but the boy wonder ZT didn’t retain him or the guy didn’t want to work for ZT. Either way, we need to find the next line coach like we had in the 1980’s. I can’t remember his name

I have a pretty good idea considering all the sexist, racist, bullying, and downright toxic behavior one has exhibited, while the worse thing you can come up with about the other is about opening ketchup bottles and playing the piano...

Reply/Quote