Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Biden to paardon convicted gay veterans
Between 1951 and 2013 approximately 2000 service members were convicted of consensual homosexual acts deemed illegal under UCMJ. On Wed, President Biden will extend clemency to these veterans.

The pardons do not change their discharge statuses however the military is reviewing all discharges regarding gay military members

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 05:54 PM)pally Wrote: Between 1951 and 2013 approximately 2000 service members were convicted of consensual homosexual acts deemed illegal under UCMJ.  On Wed, President Biden will extend clemency to these veterans.  

The pardons do not change their discharge statuses however the military is reviewing all discharges regarding gay military members

Long overdue, but I'm grateful it's finally happening.

Reply/Quote
I honestly can't believe that this didn't occur under Obama. Regardless, as stated above this is long overdue.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 07:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I honestly can't believe that this didn't occur under Obama.  Regardless, as stated above this is long overdue.

Agreed, long over due.

Why didn't he do it three years ago?
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 09:13 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Agreed, long over due.

Why didn't he do it three years ago?

Should have been done already.

Needs votes? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 05:54 PM)pally Wrote: Between 1951 and 2013 approximately 2000 service members were convicted of consensual homosexual acts deemed illegal under UCMJ.  On Wed, President Biden will extend clemency to these veterans.  

Curious question: Were some of these soldiers arrested? Using words like clemency and pardon reads as if some were? Also, I wonder what the majority of the discharge statuses were. I think dishonorable would be unfair, so hoping general.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 09:25 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Should have been done already.

Needs votes? 

Of course he is, but in this instance I'm ok with it.  Unlike forgiving student loans this doesn't cost the taxpayers money and it rectifies a historical wrong.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 09:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Curious question: Were some of these soldiers arrested? Using words like clemency and pardon reads as if some were? Also, I wonder what the majority of the discharge statuses were. I think dishonorable would be unfair, so hoping general.

There were thousands of dishonorable discharges if people admitted to being gay or attempting homosexual acts

Arrests and convictions did occur for people engaging and being caught in homosexual acts.  Those are the approximately 2000 people getting pardoned.  The pardons will forgive the convictions but can not change the discharge status.  A different commission in the DOD is looking at those for everyone 

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Good move.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Didn’t realize anyone actually got criminal charges. Glad they get pardoned.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote