Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project the WR yardage totals
I'll take a flyer and say A LOT MORE THAN LAST SEASON. Of course that depends on whether, or not, the overall coaching improves. Nervous
Reply/Quote
AJ Green 1,450 10
Tyler Boyd 1,007 3
Tyler Eifert 550 12
John Ross 400 3
Gio Bernard 350 1
Joe Mixion 350 1
Other 200 2
Andy Dalton 4,307 32 TDs
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 04:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, just like I asked on other posts, you see Ross taking 400 yards from Lafell, and another 200 from Boyd.  Eifert has just 600 yards, despite being in a contract year and having 400 yards in 8 games a year ago.  

Mixon looks like he steals some of his yardage from Hill (certainly) and Uzomah, who I am assuming you listed under "other", with Cody Core, who had 200 yards last year in just three games.  

I must be crazy optimistic.  Everyone is assuming the Bengals will be a more rush-heavy team, and Dalton will barely eek out his best yardage season ever.  

He has Mixon, a healthy TE squad (all 4 injured a year ago), a healthy AJ Green, John Ross, a second year Tyler Boyd, a consistent Brandon Lafell, and a wildcard like Malone.  

I'm setting the bar at 5,000 yards.  I think Dalton is going to blow away his expectations this upcoming season.  

Right but Dalton isn't THAT good. The ball is going to be spread out more and Ross will show up. Injuries will happen to players. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 04:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm setting the bar at 5,000 yards.  I think Dalton is going to blow away his expectations this upcoming season.  

Since Dalton has been in the league, that's happened a total of 7 times. 

A guy named Drew Brees did it 4 times himself. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 11:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since Dalton has been in the league, that's happened a total of 7 times. 

A side note. How many playoff teams when Brews threw for 5000 yards? I think the answer is 1 or zero.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 11:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since Dalton has been in the league, that's happened a total of 7 times. 

Yep, and the Saints were behind in a ton of games, and really never had much of a running game.  I agree, it is a ridiculous total.  But it really only takes one big play a game over the norm to make it happen.  

One time where Eifert or Uzomah is left alone down the seam as teams crap their pants over getting nickel and dimed by Ross and AJ and it goes for 60 yards. 

One time where Ross, Core, or Malone burns someone deep.  

One time where AJ catches a ball in stride and makes someone miss.

One dump pass to Mixon that he breaks off for a big gainer.

To hit 5,000 yards in a season, a QB has to average roughly 316 yards per game.  That is no doubt a ton of yards week in and week out, and we don't play in a dome.  Dalton is more likely to end up somewhere around the 4300-4500 yard total, but I would sure love to see him involve a lot of players and have teams really confused as to where the ball is going and after backing up teams, then stuffing it down their throats with the running game, instead of trying to establish the run first.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 05:18 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Right but Dalton isn't THAT good. The ball is going to be spread out more and Ross will show up. Injuries will happen to players. 

Agreed on injuries, but I think that is a common perception about Dalton...and he is about to change that.  
Reply/Quote
I'm much more interested in actual scoring plays than just yards.
Suppose, just for the sake of argument player x plays 16 games and in each game they start on the 1 yardline and x catches 1 98 yard reception each game and in each of those catches they have to settle for a fg.. 
Well, they would have only caught 16 passes for 1568 yards, 0 points on the board minus the 3 for the fg.
Now, player Y catches 40 10 yard passes, but scores 15 TDs.. 
Who's the bigger star there? The guy who crosses the goal line obviously..
That's an extreme exaggeration obviously, but someone has to catch and someone hopefully has to score points. The guy who gets to dance in the end zone gets all the glory. 
Life just ain't fair now is it?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 12:36 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm much more interested in actual scoring plays than just yards.
Suppose, just for the sake of argument player x plays 16 games and in each game they start on the 1 yardline and x catches 1 98 yard reception each game and in each of those catches they have to settle for a fg.. 
Well, they would have only caught 16 passes for 1568 yards, 0 points on the board minus the 3 for the fg.
Now, player Y catches 40 10 yard passes, but scores 15 TDs.. 
Who's the bigger star there? The guy who crosses the goal line obviously..
That's an extreme exaggeration obviously, but someone has to catch and someone hopefully has to score points. The guy who gets to dance in the end zone gets all the glory. 
Life just ain't fair now is it?

This is probably much more representative of how the team would perform is their scoring measures.  That being said, the TDs per player are very difficult to predict.  

I was using the yardage prediction as a measure just because I see such a tremendous difference in Andy's targets this year as compared to last.  Sure, injuries had a lot to do with that, but I see so much depth and talent on the field that I can't imagine him not taking a significant leap over last season, which was a pretty solid 4,200 yards and only 7 INTs.  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 08:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: A side note. How many playoff teams when Brews threw for 5000 yards? I think the answer is 1 or zero.

Two appearances. '11 and '13. A 2-2 record in those years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I won't predict the yardage totals, but if the Bengals stay healthy I could see them getting well over 5,000 total receiving yards. However, Eifert tends to go down.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 10:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed on injuries, but I think that is a common perception about Dalton...and he is about to change that.  

I hope so. I have always thought Dalton knows who he's going to out of the huddle. We've all seen him throw to AJ double teamed when he has receivers wide open. Always scared the shit out of me getting AJ killed for nothing. He runs the play and I've always wondered if that was something important we missed when drafting him was that he had poor vision, or was gun shy. He wants that ball out of his hands.

With that said, I have read on here by the opinions of many that he has good vision. However, I really don't think he started audibling well until 2016. Then, there is the courage thing. There were reports before the Steelers playoff game that he would be ready. Did he not want to play that game? Or, was those just rumors. If it's possibly your last game of the season based on winning or losing, you definitely want your best guys out there (not like in the useless victory last year).

I'm just sayin, Dalton has a little bit to prove (IMO). Although, let it be known I also think he's one of the best at the QB position and doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. I just think he was/is a slow learner and until he grabs the reigns of this team on the offensive side of the ball, he will never win the show. Plus, we need someone with a little better intelligence than Marvin! We need him to lead this team and be the guy who reads the field. Specially when playing Pittsburgh. Gotta take Marvin out of those games because he swings in the wrong direction.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 11:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope so. I have always thought Dalton knows who he's going to out of the huddle. We've all seen him throw to AJ double teamed when he has receivers wide open. Always scared the shit out of me getting AJ killed for nothing. He runs the play and I've always wondered if that was something important we missed when drafting him was that he had poor vision, or was gun shy. He wants that ball out of his hands.

With that said, I have read on here by the opinions of many that he has good vision. However, I really don't think he started audibling well until 2016. Then, there is the courage thing. There were reports before the Steelers playoff game that he would be ready. Did he not want to play that game? Or, was those just rumors. If it's possibly your last game of the season based on winning or losing, you definitely want your best guys out there (not like in the useless victory last year).

I'm just sayin, Dalton has a little bit to prove (IMO). Although, let it be known I also think he's one of the best at the QB position and doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. I just think he was/is a slow learner and until he grabs the reigns of this team on the offensive side of the ball, he will never win the show. Plus, we need someone with a little better intelligence than Marvin! We need him to lead this team and be the guy who reads the field. Specially when playing Pittsburgh. Gotta take Marvin out of those games because he swings in the wrong direction.

I thought last years rain-soaked game at pitt was a good indicator of Dalton's toughness.  He got the crap beat out of him one week prior (at the Jets) and came back (for a second consecutive road game to open the season) and outplayed piggy, but Uzomah had a TD called an incomplete pass and Boyd had a catch ruled a fumble.   So, maybe Dalton also needs to be better than the dumbass officials.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 09:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I'd be extremely dissapointed if Ross only puts up 400 yards.

Just because the offense has a new toy doesn't mean they'll use him. Remember, Marv is still the HC.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 12:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Just because the offense has a new toy doesn't mean they'll use him. Remember, Marv is still the HC.

The highest offensive draft pick in the seven years after drafting AJ Green at #4, they will be playing with their new toy.  
Reply/Quote
AJ Green - 1250 yards 7 TD's
John Ross - 850 yards, lots of TD's like 9 or 10
Tyler Eifert - 685 yards 7 TD's gets hurt again
Brandon Lafell - 550 yards, gets most of his early on
Tyler Boyd - 500 yards 2 TD's
Mixon/Gio - 485 yards 4 TD's
Others - 350 yards, mostly Core and Uzi 1 TD

Dalton 4,650 yards 30 TD's 15 int's
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 02:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: AJ Green - 1250 yards 7 TD's
John Ross - 850 yards, lots of TD's like 9 or 10
Tyler Eifert - 685 yards 7 TD's gets hurt again
Brandon Lafell - 550 yards, gets most of his early on
Tyler Boyd - 500 yards 2 TD's
Mixon/Gio - 485 yards 4 TD's
Others - 350 yards, mostly Core and Uzi 1 TD

Dalton 4,650 yards 30 TD's 15 int's

That's a lotta pics considering his play the last 2 years. 

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 02:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's a lotta pics considering his play the last 2 years. 

Adjusting to Ross is why i had it so high. Great when 15 interceptions is a lotta picks for our QB for once.

Dalton has really improved in not turning the ball over since '14.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 09:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Two appearances. '11 and '13. A 2-2 record in those years. 

Brees made the playoffs 2 of 6 times when he threw for 5000 yards (rounded up one year at 4952) or 33% when throwing over 5000 yards.

This shows me a team needs more than just a passing game, they need a running game and a defense too

I am, just pointing out if Dalton does throw for 5000 yards, no guarantee of playoff or playoffs wins as team also needs to step it up
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 02:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's a lotta pics considering his play the last 2 years. 

Plus i expect Og to struggle a bit early before he finds his legs and plays decent, he will improve but i see Dalton getting
hit a bit early and that will cause some interceptions.
Reply/Quote