Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Projected Vibe in the City & Nationally after Week 5 going into the Bye
(05-26-2017, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I never bought into the Bengals being Super Bowl contenders in '05.  I was thrilled that they were winning games, but thought that they were getting lucky too many times with the secondary coming up with all those interceptions.  I fully expected them to beat the Steelers that day, until Palmer went down, but didn't expect much more than the Wild Card win.

We were the better team that day IMO. Still can't get the image of Cowher doing his "we-dey" BS!!! 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I never bought into the Bengals being Super Bowl contenders in '05.  I was thrilled that they were winning games, but thought that they were getting lucky too many times with the secondary coming up with all those interceptions.  I fully expected them to beat the Steelers that day, until Palmer went down, but didn't expect much more than the Wild Card win.

I have to say I was pretty excited ! And was looking at it like who knows where we'll end up ? Super Bowl even ? But I get what you're saying.

I'll always believe we would have won that game had Palmer not went down. And I'll always believe, deep down in, they knew it to. Now how far would we have went after that ?????

Just another rung in the Bengals what ifs in the end though. Greg Cook, Bill Walsh/Tiger Johnson, Pete Johnson from the one 3x, Krumries ankle, Billups's dropped interception, one could go on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 07:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have to say I was pretty excited ! And was looking at it like who knows where we'll end up ? Super Bowl even ? But I get what you're saying.

I'll always believe we would have won that game had Palmer not went down. And I'll always believe, deep down in, they knew it to. Now how far would we have went after that ?????

Just another rung in the Bengals what ifs in the end though. Greg Cook, Bill Walsh/Tiger Johnson, Pete Johnson from the one 3x, Krumries ankle, Billups's dropped interception, one could go on.

I wonder do Buffalo fans feel similarly as Bengal fans, in regard to their franchise's history?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder do Buffalo fans feel similarly as Bengal fans, in regard to their franchise's history?

Oh I'd say there's no doubt. Vikings fans of the 70's as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder do Buffalo fans feel similarly as Bengal fans, in regard to their franchise's history?

It has to stick in their collective craw.  Imagine, you get four consecutive shots at a Lombardi, and each time you lose by a progressively greater margin.  You go from just missing a ring by the width of a Scott Norwood shank to being absolutely blown out by the Cowboys.  Talk about a kick in the 'nads.  Hopefully some have made their peace with it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote

this is what they get paid to do... 2005 had a lot of positive variables going for it.. hell we still had the lead after the terrible lose of Carson.. just think if we had Carson all game at home after that big play... this team was ready to roll and remember Steelers went on and won the Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 07:59 PM)Gbengalfan74 Wrote: I have to say I was pretty excited ! And was looking at it like who knows where we'll end up ? Super Bowl even ? But I get what you're saying.

That's something we'll all wonder about for the rest of our lives... But I'll always believe if the 2005 Steelers could win super bowl 40, so could the 2005 Bengals. With Palmer, I think we'd have beaten Pittsburgh. Just a gut feeling that lingers 11 years later. Then we would have faced playoff Peyton Manning as opposed to regular season Peyton Manning. I'm sure many roll their eyes but I honestly believe we could have won that game. Then, of course, the monumental collapse (and essentially the career ender of Jake Plummer) of the Broncos in Denver. They couldn't have beaten the 2016 Brown's that day. We play that choke job Bronco team, we undoubtedly win with a healthy Carson. 

The Super Bowl against Seattle? Well... That's where we would have lost. That game was gift wrapped for Pittsburgh to win before the coin toss. By far the most biased, unfairly called super bowl of all time. Seattle completely outplayed them but the refs just wouldn't let the almighty steeler franchise with their overrated fatass RB lose in his final game. There's no way in hell we'd get the same favoritism. If Seattle would have played that same game in the same way against us, I think we would have lost a hard-fought game (with Carson finishing with a much better QBR than Ben did... What was it, a shade above 45??)
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 06:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good reminders of a tale of 2 seasons. In 2016, we had issues out of the gate with some key guys like Burfict and others. In 2015, we started 8-0 and then our QB breaks his thumb and we still managed to get to the playoffs, we were still in a position to beat the Steelers, but lost. Why? We had a very good complete roster on both sides of the ball and ST.

Our roster was extremely talented 2 years ago, yet 2 years later guys I respect like Gil Brandt say we are not a top 10 talent team this year. That is fair, but my guess a year ago many also thought the Falcons were not top 10. What happened? They added a few key pieces with Sanu and Mack in FA, but they also had 3 or 4 guys from the 2014 draft step up and become starters, quality starters. I am hoping we see the same thing from our 2015 and 2016 draft class, guys stepping up. If so, it could be a very fun team as 2 of those guys are projected starters at LT and RT and the scary OL concerns we share.

All very good points, but everyone here is missing the biggest addition by subtraction of all...

NO MORE MIKE NUGENT!!  Cool

It's debatable exactly how many games Nugent cost us last year, but I'm confident we would have beaten Washington with a semi-competent kicker. There's a few more that could arguably fall on Nugent but that game in London sticks out most to me.   
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 01:34 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: All very good points, but everyone here is missing the biggest addition by subtraction of all...

NO MORE MIKE NUGENT!!  Cool

It's debatable exactly how many games Nugent cost us last year, but I'm confident we would have beaten Washington with a semi-competent kicker. There's a few more that could arguably fall on Nugent but that game in London sticks out most to me.   

Good point. With a healthy roster and the Nugent replacement, we should be significantly better.

Reply/Quote
I think we go into the bye at 4-1 or 3-2 (loss to GB and MAYBE Houston) and on fire.

I think our offense clicks early with Mixon breaking off a few long runs and AJ being putting up big plays, and that fires up our entire team to just play on another level.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 10:57 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think we go into the bye at 4-1 or 3-2 (loss to GB and MAYBE Houston) and on fire.

I think our offense clicks early with Mixon breaking off a few long runs and AJ being putting up big plays, and that fires up our entire team to just play on another level.

I think our defense and kicking game become the big surprises and story in 2017. I see our defense jumping into the top 5 to top 10 range.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
there are a couple narratives I could see. This is the one I want to see. The bengals, riding a couple of hard fought defensive battles, suffered a setback in week in 3. The offense looked lackluster in weeks one and two, doing just enoughto win. But there flashes of what was coming. John Ross came as advertised. His field stretching capabilities were on display and the effect he has on opposing defenses was seen early on.

Week 3 brought a date with Aaron Rodgers and the bengals would ultimately lose in an offensive slugfest. In what was an entertaining game to watch, Rodgers led the pack on a game ending touchdown drive and the bengals and no time to amount a comeback. A good game on both sides and the bengals appear to be putting a disastrous '15 behind them. Weeks 4 and 5 brought the bengals seemingly easy wins heading into bye. Ross' presence on the field has opened up running lanes for Jeremy hill and explosive rookie rb joe Mixon, who is beginning to see an increased role and showing why many thought he may have been the best rookie rb in last years draft. The much maligned offensive line has been a pleasant surprise as the young tackles have settled in to their new roles and Andre smith seems reborn with his transition to guard. The bengals next game is with the hatred diving rival steelers in Pittsburgh with the winner taking early control of the afc north.

Heres what the flip side could look like. After allowing veteran lineman whit worth and Zeitler to leave last here via free agency, the bengals o line continues to struggle. Despite reports of extensive offseason work, ogbuehi contines to get pushed around. Dalton is on pace to get sacked even more than last year. Jeremy hill continues to see little to no running room as opposing defenses dare the bengals to pass. The defense continues to keep the bengals in games but it's fair to wonder how long they can keep this up.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are going to be the surprise team of the AFC this year. I hope so anyway.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 11:42 AM)packerbacker Wrote: The Bengals are going to be the surprise team of the AFC this year. I hope so anyway.

I love the way you think. The Packers will be improved over 2016 also so I can see them being the NFC Super Bowl team this year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 11:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love the way you think. The Packers will be improved over 2016 also so I can see them being the NFC Super Bowl team this year.

I don't know. We have a brutal schedule with games@Pittsburgh, @Dallas, @Carolina and @Atlanta then playing you guys is always tough. I don't see us winning more than 1 of those games on the road.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 01:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: I hope you are right.

I see a 1 and 2 start and the Fans bumming.
Watt and Clowney make our O-line look bad. Rodgers pulls out a win.

Then we win 2 straight.
The O-line starts looking better and Fans are Pumped up going into the Steelers game at 3 and 2.

An early season Roller Coaster ride with the Steelers game being a Chance to Rise Up in the Division with the team gelling.
Sounds realistic especially the OL scenario. I fear the Steelers will once again kick Marvin's ass and injure a couple Bengal players for emphasis. yes. I hope I am completely wrong. Therefore, 3-3 start. Let the "bumming" begin.  Shocked

Yes, I hope I am completely wrong and they are 6-0. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think our defense and kicking game become the big surprises and story in 2017. I see our defense jumping into the top 5 to top 10 range.

I didn't even mention the defense, but I agree  ThumbsUp

While I loved Peko, I think him being gone finally allows Billings to step-up and make some noise from the NT position, and we know what we have in Atkins, but I also think that pressure from the inside, along with our talented rotation of ends, including the rookies, Willis and Lawson, allows our defense to just be nasty.  

I think our pass rush being a force allows our young secondary to really step into their own and become playmakers, and I think third down will be the opposing quarterback's nightmare because we'll bring in another one of our ends, slide them inside, and take Billings off the field, which will make our pass rush that much more dangerous.  I don't think Jones will be an ever down corner as I think we'll save him for punt returns, but he'll still get some PT and WJIII, Shaw, Kirkpatrick, and Dennard all have big years.

Our defense gets overlooked, but I agree that they could be very good.
Reply/Quote
The week before we play you guys we have a Sunday night game in Atlanta. The week before that we play Seattle at home. We will be tired after that Atlanta game but luckily it is a 4:25 game against you guys otherwise the short week helps you guys a lot. I hope Dalton stays healthy and has a great year leading you guys to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
I expect another year of suffering due to poor o-line play and the time it will take for young pieces on defense to get up to speed. Thinking about Billings, Vigil, Jackson, here.

That said, I think this team will be loaded and ready to rock in 2018.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to try to remain emotionally neutral throughout the season. If they win, well great, but if not I have 10000 other things I can spend my time worrying about.  
I really do hope they win, but getting all pissy if they don't won't improve my life one tiny little bit.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote