Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense
One thing is for sure. Pratt and Bynes > Vigil and Brown. It showed. Pratt played a good game and made some very nice stops.

The D played good and wasnt helped by the O not staying on the field long enough. I know Mike Williams made some plays, but there arent many guys who can cover that monster of a man. It doesnt matter if you are with him step for step. If the QB throws it high, yer screwed as a CB for the most part. He's a 50/50 ball machine. Aside form that the D needs more rest in between and thats up to the O.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In all our anger and disappointment over losing a game the Bengals should have won easily there is one bright spot:  The defense.

Lou Anarumo needs a raise because his retooled defense held the Chargers to only sixteen points with two — Or was it three? — impressive goal line stands where Los Angeles had to settle for field goals.  I saw things I haven’t seen since Mike Zimmer was here:

1. Sure tackling.
2. Tight pass coverage.
3. Tight ends covered instead of running free.
4. Physical play.  I heard and saw some real hitting.
5. Stuffing the run.

The only two things I didn’t see were turnovers and sacks.  They will come eventually I’m sure.  

Allowing only sixteen points and losing is not good but the defense is mostly fixed as far as I’m concerned.

Not having Geno to provide inside pressure was a significant factor in our pass rush.

Overall, the Chargers offense did not really make that many plays.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
They played the worst QB they will see all season and They still rolled over right before half. They were getting gashed in the run. I'm still not sold on Lou. Not even close..
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 04:59 AM)Tony Wrote: They played the worst QB they will see all season and They still rolled over right before half. They were getting gashed in the run. I'm still not sold on Lou. Not even close..

That’s debatable. They play Haskins, Daniel Jones, Fitzpatrick (you never know which version of him shows up).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
As good as the defense played they still gave up 155 yds on the ground. I know the turnovers put them in a bad position, but our run defense wasn’t quite as improved as I had hoped.

I’m looking forward to seeing Reader and Geno on the field together.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As good as the defense played they still gave up 155 yds on the ground. I know the turnovers put them in a bad position, but our run defense wasn’t quite as improved as I had hoped.

I think we found a stud in Daniels! When Reader went out, Daniels did everything he could to stop LA. 
Reply/Quote
We're looking for improvement in the midst of a total rebuild, and I think we saw it on defense today. As someone else mentioned, they're not world beaters, but they appear to be better than worst in the league. The tackling has been improved and that's SPECIFICALLY what they set out to do with the FA acquisitions. LB play is upgraded, coverage was better, pass rush was lacking.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As good as the defense played they still gave up 155 yds on the ground. I know the turnovers put them in a bad position, but our run defense wasn’t quite as improved as I had hoped.

I was just getting to comment on this. It may not have seemed like it because LA still struggled, but Cincinnati was still getting ran through. It is only one week, but Cincinnati already has a bottom five rush defense and are about to face Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Whether or not someone believes the Browns are any good, those two guys definitely are. I will be curious to see how the defenses fares with Atkins back (when he comes back) but I am not encouraged by what I saw yesterday, rushing wise. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:45 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: We're looking for improvement in the midst of a total rebuild, and I think we saw it on defense today. As someone else mentioned, they're not world beaters, but they appear to be better than worst in the league. The tackling has been improved and that's SPECIFICALLY what they set out to do with the FA acquisitions. LB play is upgraded, coverage was better, pass rush was lacking.

Why do we fall for all the DL hype every single year? Lawson had a sack, and Hubbard had a few nice plays, but overall they were pretty disappointing. Especially with LA missing some starters on the OL. Even with Geno out we should have been able to exploit that a little more.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why do we fall for all the DL hype every single year? Lawson had  a sack, and Hubbard had a few nice plays, but overall they were pretty disappointing. Especially with LA missing some starters on the OL. Even with Geno out we should have been able to exploit that a little more.

Maybe we're living in the past a bit there. Lawson was disruptive, but I agree with you. We should have done better than that. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
In my opinion, an overlooked fact is that Taylor didnt beat or gash us with his legs.

Isn't he a running QB?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In all our anger and disappointment over losing a game the Bengals should have won easily there is one bright spot:  The defense.

Lou Anarumo needs a raise because his retooled defense held the Chargers to only sixteen points with two — Or was it three? — impressive goal line stands where Los Angeles had to settle for field goals.  I saw things I haven’t seen since Mike Zimmer was here:

1. Sure tackling.
2. Tight pass coverage.
3. Tight ends covered instead of running free.
4. Physical play.  I heard and saw some real hitting.
5. Stuffing the run.

The only two things I didn’t see were turnovers and sacks.  They will come eventually I’m sure.  

Allowing only sixteen points and losing is not good but the defense is mostly fixed as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, the D looked much better than last season that is for sure. The FA and Offseason really was a good one and helped 
this team. Thought the D would be ahead of the Offense early. Burrow and the Offense will come around. Not pissy about 
this loss, we played hard and the Chargers are better this year. They have a good O-line and some nice weapons and Tyrod
just doesn't turn the ball over much. 

Now lets beat the Stains handily, give Mixon the rock and shut down their run game. Punish Mayfield.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:14 PM)JSR18 Wrote: In my opinion, an overlooked fact is that Taylor didnt beat or gash us with his legs.

Isn't he a running QB?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep, and he tried too. Sam Hubbard played really good contain all day.
Reply/Quote