Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Props to Zac Taylor for Play Calling
(08-15-2021, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You talking about Tampa or us? We led most of the game so I assume you are talking about Tampa who couldn't run the ball...

I think he's talking about the past 2 years. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is my question about the ratio, will it be the same when he has Burrow back there. 

This showed what the offense should look like no matter who is under center but will it continue? 

My feeling is yes, this “run more than pass” offense will continue even with Joe Burrow behind center. If we’re honest with ourselves we know the Bengals’ run blocking was historically bad over the last few seasons; Zac Taylor really had little choice but to air it out.

Last night’s run blocking scheme was better — mad props to Frank Pollack — but the players haven’t yet internalized the new technique. Here’s the good news though: The offensive linemen had superb footwork yesterday. I didn’t see any left over sloppiness. The upper body technique isn’t there yet but Frank Pollack is right to teach technique from the ground up first; a player who has correct footwork can set himself and block effectively even though his upper body technique might not be perfect. Conversely, an offensive lineman can have perfect arm and hand placement but with bad footwork he’ll play like he’s on a sheet of ice.

Two cases in point: Billy Price and Jonah Williams looked like completely different players.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:22 PM)Tony Wrote: I'll like to see 75% pass to 25% run ratio when Joe gets back...

The only reason to go to that degree of pass heavy offense is if the Bengals are behind by more than two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

When Joe Burrow was his best at LSU he threw between 25 and 35 passes per game. That’s when his passing statistics and team wins were optimized.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 04:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think he's talking about the past 2 years. 

Ah, well we all know about that and Pally is a she...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 04:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah, well we all know about that and Pally is a she...

Whoopsie! Sorry about that pally. Had no idea.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 05:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Whoopsie! Sorry about that pally. Had no idea.

Yeah, didn't know it either until early this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 04:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My feeling is yes, this “run more than pass” offense will continue even with Joe Burrow behind center.  If we’re honest with ourselves we know the Bengals’ run blocking was historically bad over the last few seasons; Zac Taylor really had little choice but to air it out.  

Last night’s run blocking scheme was better — mad props to Frank Pollack — but the players haven’t yet internalized the new technique.  Here’s the good news though: The offensive linemen had superb footwork yesterday.  I didn’t see any left over sloppiness.  The upper body technique isn’t there yet but Frank Pollack is right to teach technique from the ground up first; a player who has correct footwork can set himself and block effectively even though his upper body technique might not be perfect.  Conversely, an offensive lineman can have perfect arm and hand placement but with bad footwork he’ll play like he’s on a sheet of ice.

Two cases in point: Billy Price and Jonah Williams looked like completely different players.

You could tell it is a line in the process of essentially relearning offensive line play. While there were some spotty plays (and Gunnar Vogel looked like he did not belong out there) overall there is progress in the right direction. Let's remember there are two seasons of Turner's faulty scheme and technique to undo on the vets and the college kids are learning a new system too. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 10:16 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 35 rushes.

29 passes.

Yes, I know it’s only preseason but this run to pass ratio gives me hope.  I was legitimately afraid Zac Taylor would revert to 2019-2020 form and go pass-heavy but seeing more running than passing is most encouraging.  This also bodes well for Frank Pollack and the offensive line because they did a credible job run blocking; Billy Price even looked like his old pre-injury 2018 form.

I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but I do think there will be games we are more pass oriented. I have no problem with that, with WRs and Burrow in there. If this running game takes off, like I think it will, it's going to give DCs around the league headaches!
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 10:16 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 35 rushes.

29 passes.

Yes, I know it’s only preseason but this run to pass ratio gives me hope.  I was legitimately afraid Zac Taylor would revert to 2019-2020 form and go pass-heavy but seeing more running than passing is most encouraging.  This also bodes well for Frank Pollack and the offensive line because they did a credible job run blocking; Billy Price even looked like his old pre-injury 2018 form.

without burrow this makes sense for him doubt it holds

But running often early is good for the OL
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:22 PM)Tony Wrote: I'll like to see 75% pass to 25% run ratio when Joe gets back.. We are built to wing the ball all over the yard..

Joe Mixon makes way too much money to underuse him like that.

Reply/Quote
I'm guessing Frank Pollack's title as "Run Game Coordinator" would suppose they plan on more emphasis on that part of the game this year. Can't stack the box against Joe anymore with those 3 receivers out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Mixon makes way too much money to underuse him like that.

That would depend on how many passes go his direction.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Mixon makes way too much money

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 12:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Agreed.

Well, there’s nothing we can do about that now. We should at least use him a lot though.

Reply/Quote
I didn't get to see the game the other night, but I'm not going to put too much stock in the playcalling because:

1) Burrow wasn't playing
2) It's preseason and there's not much expectation of laying it all out like a regular season game
3) We did see ZT change his playcalling last season when Burrow was out

My questions will surround his adjustments more than anything once the regular season starts. Is he game planning to exploit the defense each week? Is he making decisions and changes that make sense? That's what I want to see, more than the balance in preseason between runs and passes.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Mixon makes way too much money to underuse him like that.

He also makes too much money to spend a mere 6 games in action, but here we are.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 06:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He also makes too much money to spend a mere 6 games in action, but here we are.

Well, I like to focus on things that are actually controllable.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 01:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I like to focus on things that are actually controllable.

Controllable or not, Mixon has to battle back against a trend of missing games.  Seeing our RB depth in game 1 did give me some hope that we can get more running plays in though.  
Reply/Quote